NST October Finding Your Inner ferret

NST OCTOBER; Finding your Inner Ferret
NST Challenge: October Finding Your Inner Ferret

Turtles are tough. Turtle rules are tough but they work. When you start your turtle journey the rules can feel overwhelming but they all help on the journey to debt freedom. The more rules you can keep the sooner you will achieve your goals – most turtles start by tackling debt but many are now saving to get on the property ladder, to achieve mortgage free status, to retire early or to live well on a small income.

All the usual rules (see below) will remain in place this month. However if you need to adapt a particular rule to suit for health or lifestyle reasons this is acceptable. That is lifestyle as in my car is broken, I need to carry all the shopping home so buy small amounts frequently not I want to have six takeaways a week and still pay off my debts/ save money. Commit to following all the rules. If you don't manage all of them all the time we will help and support you – No Turtle gets left behind.

Tackling debt can be a long hard slog and some turtles (including this one) have been struggling recently. Therefore the aim this month alongside savings/ reducing debt is to have some fun. This month we will be Finding Our Inner Ferret.

Ferrets sleep for between 14 and 18 hours a day. Oh bliss. Not practical for most of us but try to get enough sleep. Make your bedroom a comfortable haven. Despite being awake for only a few hours the average ferret is active enough to maintain a sleek profile. We will aim to get outside every day. Sunshine is in short supply so get as much as you can. If you go to work and come home in the dark, can you go for at short walk at lunch.

Planning and preparation are needed. Think ahead, budget, work out what is needed. This leaves more time for fun and if you can, do it without spending or have a low spend. This month I will be including a weekly planning and preparation target.

Ferrets are curious. I want you all to commit to learning something new this month – it doesn't have to be degree level, try a new craft, cook something you always thought was difficult or learn something practical. Investigate new ways of making extra cash.

Finally (random rule alert) one of the ferret's distinctive features is the Victory Dance. We will be celebrating our achievements and successes and not dwelling on 'things we have left undone'. If your to do list is worrying you, simplify it. Write down a list of what you have done. Find things to be grateful for each day (no need to write them here if you don't want to) and think about something you have achieved. Then do your Ferret Victory Dance. It's okay to do it behind closed doors.

If any of you think you have done nothing worthy of celebration, I must tell you that my recent 'achievements' include going to my weekly counselling and craft sessions and on really bad days, getting out of bed and having a bath.
turtle-28.gif.

The Challenge Rules:
  • The Challenge will commence on the 1st October @ 00:00 and end on the 31st October @ 23:59.
  • Kat Essentials
  • Set your DFD (Debt Free Day)
  • You will pay towards your debt / savings FIRST and live on what’s left. Choose the amount now.
  • Set all budgets before the start of the month, think ahead for any birthdays, outings etc.
  • Random Rule for September Celebrate your achievements with a Victory dance
  • Other Rules
  • Aim for 15 SFD (Spend Free day or No Spend day)
  • Extra cash – share any ideas which work, trawl the other threads for something you haven't tried recently.
  • Learn something new (might be fun)
  • Weekly mini challenge (details in later post)
  • Food budget should be set realistically (ideally at same level as last month or lower unless you have extra mouths to feed). Base your purchases around basics range and yellow stickered items.
  • You will NOT use any of the following; restaurants, cafes, work canteens, vending machines, takeaways ( yes really), Starbucks, Costa, Nero or any other chain cafe!
  • Lunch to work everyday and plan for appointments and days out (last chance for picnics and bbqs).
  • Travel budget – petrol or public transport for work, leisure, hospital appointments. Can you walk/cycle? Can you combine journeys – shopping/ work/ gym?
  • Any other regular budgets – children's activities etc.
  • Healthy eating – up your fruit and veg. If you are already getting your 5 a day (if not why not?) go for 7. Will make you feel better (especially if free or ys) and may help ward off all those annoying bugs which come with the changing seasons.
  • Make a food bank donation (3 items or £3) or alternative charity if preferred
  • Exercise 5 times a week, newbies and poorlies start with 10 minutes a day, get outdoors wherever possible.
  • Regular check ins – daily if possible.
So who's up for it.
My mission in life is not only to survive,but to thrive and to do so with some Passion, some Compassion, some Humour and some Style.
NST SEP No 1 No Debt No mortgage

Comments

• Turtle Back Story http://smileys.emoticonsonly.com/emoticons/t/turtle-28.gif There was a kingdom of tall towers where the financiers lived. They lured wild turtles with gifts of loans and magic cards, making pets of them. When the hard times came the financiers cast off their pets and the turtles fell into the sewers, awash on a tide of debt.

A wise and beautiful Kat rescued the turtles and taught them her ninja ways.Month by month, in a firm but kindly manner, she taught the turtles to exercise their bodies till they could negotiate the sewer, to use their will to resist the temptations of the kingdom, to plan and prepare, save their pennies and to give to those less fortunate.

One day the wise Kat gathered the turtles to tell them she must leave them. She was to go on a quest to the Eastern lands. She had saved all her money (and a little honey) and sought new adventures and learning (and perhaps an owl to be her future companion).

At first the turtles were afraid but wise and beautiful Kat reminded them of the lessons she had taught them (Always pay your debt first). They could now keep afloat on the sewer water and could help each other, and those who joined them along the way, to swim through to the tide of freedom and the beach of tranquility known as debt free day.

So the brave little turtles set out, swimming against the tide of consumerism and became the
    NINJA SAVING TURTLES
    My mission in life is not only to survive,but to thrive and to do so with some Passion, some Compassion, some Humour and some Style.
  • mothernerd
    mothernerd Posts: 4,827
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Debt-free and Proud!
    Forumite
    edited 9 October 2016 at 7:17PM
    Reserved for Contenders
    1 mothernerd
    2 x_raphael_xx
    3 Fmess
    4 apple muncher
    5 thriftylass
    6 greent
    7 Xspender
    8 Lauralozzle
    9 Bobarella
    10 Toni's friend
    11 misstara
    12 SpekySquarehead
    13 Calling14
    14 nannygladys
    15 Poppy 3008
    16 Welsh Kitty 85
    17 crazy_cat_lady
    18 FurryBeastOz
    19 indigowarrior
    20 Planning ahead
    21 swimminginaseaofdebt
    22 ljaneye
    23 NeverUnderestimate
    24 EagerElephant
    25 clippy_girl
    26 Siebrie
    27 dizzybind
    28 Dizzy Imp
    29 Beanielou
    30 Seasidegal58

Volunteers for Running Future Threads (+ preferred months)
  • Hi, I would like in again this month please :D

mothernerd wrote: »
    We will aim to get outside every day.
    This sentence jumped out at me. Since my pooch passed away last month I've noticed I haven't left the house unless it's to go to work. We have a park right outside the front door, I miss the daily circuit and my fitbit and Pokemon have been gathering dust as a result of this. I need to add a daily lap into my targets for this month.
    • Set all budgets - before the start of the month, think ahead for any birthdays, outings etc.
    • Aim for 15 NSD
    • Extra cash – share any ideas which work, trawl the other threads for something you haven't tried recently.
    • Learn something new.
    • Weekly mini challenge (details in later post)
    • Food budget - Should be set realistically. Base your purchases around basics range and yellow stickered items.
    • You will NOT use any of the following; restaurants, cafes, work canteens, vending machines, takeaways, Starbucks, Costa, Nero or any other chain cafe!
    • Lunch to work everyday and plan for appointments and days out.
    • Travel budget – petrol or public transport for work, leisure, hospital appointments. Can you walk/cycle? Can you combine journeys – shopping/ work/ gym?
    • Healthy eating – Up your fruit and veg.
    • Donation - Make a food bank donation (3 items or £3) or alternative charity if preferred.
    • Exercise - 5 times a week.

turtle-28.gifThis guy's cute, I'm keeping him.
    Debt Free as of 17/01/2009 Turtle Power!!

EF Challenger #3 £138.36 / £5000
    MFW 2024 #100 £00.00 / £10,000

MFiT #40 Jan 2025 Target - £99,999.00
    Mortgage at 30/09/22 £113,694.11 | Mortgage at 24/01/23 £110,707.87
    Mortgage at 21/04/23 £107,701.01 | Mortgage at 20/07/23 £106,979.65
    Mortgage at 04/10/23 £106,253.77 | Mortgage at 10/01/24 £105,324.57
  • Fmess
    Fmess Posts: 2,920
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    I'm in please :)
    LBM = 07/09/13 Debt = £13339 (100% cleared)
    New roof and car £8557/£19003 New kitchen £396/£5039 Credit card Paid Student loan Paid
  • Count me in too, please.

LOVE the challenge mothernerd. I shall seek out my inner ferret.
    NST March lion #8; NSD ; MFW9/3/23 Whoop Whoop!!!
  • Thank you mothernerd. Pleasr count me in
    DEBT 09/23: CC 6347 5120, Other 1763 NSDs 0/20 Planned debt free date: Dec 2024
  • greent
    greent Posts: 10,669
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic
    Forumite
    Count me in, please :)
    I am the master of my fate; I am the captain of my soul
    Repaid mtge early (orig 11/25) 01/09 £124616 01/11 £89873 01/13 £52546 01/15 £12133 07/15 £NIL
    Net sales 2024: £20
  • XSpender
    XSpender Posts: 3,811
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    Thanks mothernerd. Please count me in :)
    Save £10,500 - £2673.77 - 25.5%
    Pay off £7000 - £1743 - 19.4%
    Make £2021 extra income - £99.75
  • I'm in again for October
    February Grocery Budget: £190.75/£350.00
    NST no. NSD 4/15
  • Calling14
    Calling14 Posts: 3,498
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    I am in Mothernerd can I have no 13 please.:beer:
    Love the victory dance will try knee permitting practice one later.;)

x_raphael - after losing my pooch put on 1/2 stone - still not the same walks without her but now I go everyday if not as far. Hugs
    LBM 13039 1.1.13 Now £0 Finally Debt FreeMortgage free Oct 2019:)EFund/savings £25000 10/11/22
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure