Mortgage free by 2021?!

Options

Comments

• gallygirl
    gallygirl Posts: 17,228 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    Petal88 wrote: »
    haha does that mean you read MMM's latest blog post too? :D
    :T Great article :T.

Wonder how it can be adapted to Dolly my Shopping Trolley :).
    A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort
    :) Mortgage Balance = £0 :)
    "Do what others won't early in life so you can do what others can't later in life"
  • EatingTheElephant
    Options
    Well done to DH :j

It will be interesting to see what happens with self driving cars, I hated the cruise control at first but love it now.
  • edinburgher
    edinburgher Posts: 13,462 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I loved his assumption that all cars will be fuelled by solar powered electricity/hydrogen etc in the near future

Well, Scotland has passed 50% renewables, so it could happen!
  • hiddenshadow
    hiddenshadow Posts: 2,525 Forumite
    Options
    Cruise control was a must-have for me when I had a car. I didn't use it that often but when I did...so handy.
  • BookWorm
    BookWorm Posts: 2,465 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Cruise control was a must-have for me when I had a car. I didn't use it that often but when I did...so handy.

I have that and not tried it out yet :o
  • hiddenshadow
    Options
    BookWorm wrote: »
    I have that and not tried it out yet :o

Oh it's lovely for long drives on the [STRIKE]highway[/STRIKE] motorway. Pick a sensible speed, set cruise control on, and relax a bit. My hips/knees tend to get quite stiff if I don't move them for a while so it's great to be able to shift positions and not have to worry about keeping the same (or any) pressure on the gas petal.

I also got a speeding ticket (well, a warning) when I was 18 as I was driving a truck and wasn't used to how quickly it would accelerate so I accidentally zoomed past an unmarked cop car. Not something that would have happened with cruise control (which the truck didn't have, sadly).
  • hiddenshadow
    Options
    Man, what a day.

Short-listed a few cars to go look at. Went to see the first one and it/the dealer seemed decent. Couldn't think of any downsides to it, so we paid a deposit and went home happy.

And then...re-looked up the advert online and realised that I'd misremembered the price when I negotiated £40-odd off the price! The advert said £2,295 and I thought it was £2,795 so negotiated £2,750. The dealer didn't say a word, which makes me seriously :mad:...I've since texted him on the off-chance that he'll be decent and honour the listed price, but I'm not holding out much hope because surely he would have said something when I said our price if he was going to say anything. Car's theoretically worth about £2,500 so I'm not keen to pay an extra £250, if only for the principal of the matter.

So, that was our triumphant car shopping severely dampened. :( Will probably go out again tomorrow to look at others (oh how I'm growing to loathe looking at car adverts!), but much of the excitement is lost for me.

In happier news, DH applied for the £10k loan at 3.4% and has been approved, so at least we can begin the bank account dance and move most of that into 4-5% accounts. Of course now any of that earnings has been eaten up by the £275 spent. Sigh.

We'll see...perhaps the dealer will be decent after all and negate horrible stereotypes about them??
  • hiddenshadow
    Options
    Update on the situation: dealer called back and said of course the car was priced at £2,795, that's what he typed into the site! I said it showed £2,295 and he said he'd paid more than that himself for the car so he couldn't sell for that price. (Whether or not that's true is anyone's guess, but will take him at his word as similar cars with more mileage are listed for more money.) And as DH said, we were happy with the price until we thought we'd overpaid, so if it was a genuine mistake then fair enough.

So we should still be back on, and no need to rush around tomorrow to look at cars. *phew* Will have to rush around a bit on Monday doing various ATM withdrawals to get the cash for the car, thanks to withdrawal limits, but at least it should be done and dusted then. :) Looks like we'll pay about £750 for car insurance, but at least the car's MOT was done last week so no worry about that for a year.

Still no contract with new job, even though I was there for a meeting yesterday. ;) They've given me access to their code/files/email, so I'm pretty sure they intend to have me work. Joys of a startup, I suppose!
  • BookWorm
    BookWorm Posts: 2,465 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Well done on the new car (even though it wasn't quite plain sailing). When will you be able to pick it up?
  • hiddenshadow
    Options
    We'll do the ATM withdrawal dance on Monday and get the car on the way home in the evening. :) One benefit to the dealer being two tube stops away from us, much easier to organise.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure