Interest on Debt after CCJ

I had a CCJ against me a few years ago for a credit card, payments are being made to Marlin. I have made this payment of £10 per month for a number of years by direct debit.

Today I received a statement from Marlin and I was shocked!! They are charging me £38 a month interest, so the amout I owe is a lot more than the original debt. Is there anything I can do about this, it just seems wrong to me. I would love to be able to increase the payment but that is impossible at the moment.

Comments

• I would certainly write and dispute this. Usually, guidelines state a creditor can claim interest on a debt but this is only up to when the judgement is made; sounds like the debt collection agency is being rather unscrupulous in adding interest after the judgement. You have to remember DCA's are basically legalised criminals and will do whatever they can to take money from a debtor; to them rules are for other people. Write and demand a breakdown of what you have paid against the original ccj debt, and state you will not be paying their added on interest, I bet they won't defend that in court.
  • Lensman_2
    Lensman_2 Posts: 1,506 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    You should go and get a copy of the judgement from the court. They are legally bound by the terms in that judgement.

In my experience only 8% simple interest can be applied and then only for 12 months - but don't bank on an internet poster.

Get the judgement and check it.
  • stevemLS
    stevemLS Posts: 1,067 Forumite
    Lensman is right, you need a copy of the judgment.

If, however, the claimant applied for interest at 8% and it was granted, there is no 12 month limit - it continues until the judgment is satisfied (i.e. paid).
  • This would infer the original debt was £5700.

At £10 per month it would take 47 years to clear (without interest).

I think you need advice - maybe try National Debtline. I wonder if you would qualify for a Debt Relief Order.
  • National_Debtline
    National_Debtline Posts: 7,998 Organisation Representative
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Hi tortmad

Certainly sounds a bit iffy but to echo others, getting a copy of the judgment paperwork is key here.

In the meantime, recommended reading in the shape of our fact sheet on county court interest charges:

https://www.nationaldebtline.org/EW/factsheets/Pages/18%20EW%20County%20court%20-%20interest%20charges/Default.aspx#quicklink1

Regards

Dennis
    Twitter: @natdebtline
    We work as money advisers for National Debtline and have specific permission from MSE to post to try to help those in debt. Read more information on National Debtline in MSE's Debt Problems: What to do and where to get help guide. If you find you're struggling with debt and need further help try our online advice tool My Money Steps
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure