Flight delay and cancellation compensation, Easyjet ONLY

Comments

• How long before the flight were you advised of the cancellation? It sounds like you chose to go to Paris instead - I can't see EY offering it as a reasonable alternative for getting to Naples.
  • Caz3121
    Caz3121 Posts: 15,542 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    How far in advance was the flight cancelled?
    What options were you given? - you should have been given the option to cancel the flights for refund. I am surprised that Easyjet felt that given you were travelling to Naples, that Paris was a suitable alternative unless you accepted this option
  • dzug1
    dzug1 Posts: 13,535 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    This is not really making sense.

I assume it was the flight from Liverpool to Naples that was cancelled, not the other way round?

Why did they reroute you via Paris - and why for two nights?

You are probably due EU regs compensation for the cancelled flight. This will be a flat rate sum per person based on the flight distance (in km)

You may be due reimbursement for the Paris hotel - depends how you came to stay there - but not for any later losses
  • Very brief circs are -

Last Thurs (24th) arrive at Manchester 2.5 hrs before flight, 2ad 2ch

Queue at bag drop amounting to a wait of nearly 1.5 hours (3 staff checking in bags for ALL easyjet flights that morning)

Massive queue at security, now 1/2 hour before boarding.

Had to wait then called through fastrack but further delayed by jobsworth staff at security (too many wires/cables in hand luggage)

Ran through terminal to plane with 5 mins to spare, very stressful experience:mad:

Total flight cost and luggage x 4 = £1089, so not really a budget price?

Is there any point complaining to easyjet and trying to claim my bag costs back?

Thanks P.
  • Caz3121
    Very brief circs are -

Last Thurs (24th) arrive at Manchester 2.5 hrs before flight, 2ad 2ch

Queue at bag drop amounting to a wait of nearly 1.5 hours (3 staff checking in bags for ALL easyjet flights that morning)

Massive queue at security, now 1/2 hour before boarding.

Had to wait then called through fastrack but further delayed by jobsworth staff at security (too many wires/cables in hand luggage)

Ran through terminal to plane with 5 mins to spare, very stressful experience:mad:

Total flight cost and luggage x 4 = £1089, so not really a budget price?

Is there any point complaining to easyjet and trying to claim my bag costs back?

Thanks P.

Not sure why you would expect a refund of baggage costs, did you not check bags in and were they not on the plane? Easyjet charge for carrying hold luggage.
    Peak holiday time and many people traveling. Queue at Manchester airport took 1.5 hours for a colleague on Tuesday morning this week (they are paying £3.50 for fast track next week)
  • Caz3121 wrote: »
    Not sure why you would expect a refund of baggage costs, did you not check bags in and were they not on the plane? Easyjet charge for carrying hold luggage.
    Peak holiday time and many people traveling. Queue at Manchester airport took 1.5 hours for a colleague on Tuesday morning this week (they are paying £3.50 for fast track next week)

I understand that they charge for bags in hold, its just that I feel that the queue at bag drop was unnecessarily long due to their inability to provide enough staff.

I was expecting a queue at security hence 2.5 hours before!

Easyjet should have prevented my delay at bag drop.

And then funnily enough, we have not had any food so end up buying stuff on the plane! Conspiracy theory?
  • Caz3121
    I don't believe anyone will offer compensation for a long queue at the checkin desk / bag drop. I fly weekly and queues can vary. I always checkin online and can often wait an hour plus to drop bag off but I would not expect anything refunded for that.
  • judywoody
    judywoody Posts: 210 Forumite
    On June 25th my husband and I were traveling from Manchester to Basel via Easyjet. When we arrived at the airport we found out that our flight would be delayed by 2.5 hours due to a technical fault. As there was also a strike in France the delay turned into 4 hrs and 42 minutes. I am aware that I could get compensation for the delay due to a technical fault but strikes are not covered. However, I could argue that the delay would have been minimized by a long shot if it hadn't been for the technical fault. Now I guess someone needs to determine whether the technical fault pushed the delay over the 3 hour boundary which means someone has to determine WHEN the aircraft was fixed.

Any idea if I should bring up this argument in my first letter or should I just let THEM determine without giving any clues?
  • Just had this response from easyjet for a 4 hour delay from Paris ....easyjet emailed to say it was due to technical issues and they had to bring another plane in so I know my claim is legitimate. Are they trying it on as I've not read that anyone has had a response like this !!!

Dear Mr Xxxxxx,

Thank you for your email and firstly we are sorry that your flight was disrupted when travelling with us. In a recent ruling by the High Court of the United Kingdom it has been ruled that technical issues relating to the operation of the aircraft in most cases cannot be exempt from compensation.

Whilst we were not specifically involved in this case it is our understanding that the airline involved is now seeking a further appeal in this matter to the Supreme Court. On this basis we are awaiting the outcome of the Supreme Court before considering our position further in relation to this.

Because of this we have put your case with us on hold; your case reference is xxxxxxxx and can be quoted when corresponding with us.

Once the Supreme Court has ruled on this matter and we have determined that compensation is indeed payable we will contact you to arrange payment. We recognise that there are several claims companies operating that may claim they will be able to obtain compensation on your behalf earlier, charging you up to 30% of the value of the compensation; this is not the case as we will also be defending / holding these types of actions pending the outcome of the Supreme Court. We commit that once the legal process is complete, likely to be in mid to late 2015 and if compensation is owing we will pay this directly to you in full.

Whilst I appreciate that this is not the outcome you were hoping for we work really hard to keep our costs and ultimately your fares low. The potential increase in costs by paying compensation far in excess of the fare price places a huge financial burden on us as an airline and will ultimately lead higher fares for all which is not in the long-term consumer interest. It is for this reason that we are awaiting the outcome of the legal process before proceeding.

Kind Regards,

Charlotte
    easyJet Customer Services
  • mattyprice4004
    mattyprice4004 Posts: 7,492 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Seems fair enough to me - time to sit and wait.
    Providing the appeal is unsuccessful you'll be paid according to that email.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback