Android custom ROM with SuperSU

esuhl
esuhl Posts: 9,409
Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
Forumite
edited 5 August 2017 at 10:42PM in Techie Stuff
I have a Samsung Galaxy SII (i9100) running Cyanogenmod 13 (a custom ROM), which has root capabilities built-in.

I also use Apps2SD. It allows the creation of a 2nd system partition on the SD card to which you can fully move apps.

With default settings, due to inherent limitations, the 2nd partition on the SD card cannot be mounted at boot, so a soft-reboot is required. I want to get rid of the need to reboot. The "best" solution to this seems to be to install SuperSU (an app which handles root permissions).

Unfortunately SuperSU gives an error ("SU Binary occupied") when it tries to replace Cyanogenmod's root binary with its own. The SuperSU site suggests to install it by flashing a ZIP file version in recovery mode. I tried that, but get a ramdisk error, causing the installation to abort.

Is there some kind of inherent incompatibility between SuperSU and custom ROMs that have root access built-in?

Has anyone tried something like this themselves?

Cheers for any tips!

Comments

• forgotmyname
    forgotmyname Posts: 32,517
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    The trick i found with the S2. Do not update it... I stuck with gingerbread when my daughter updated hers. What a failure.

Copy and paste stopped working in games we played. Some of her apps wouldnt install to the SD etc.

Mine no issues at all. I thought about Cyanogenmod but there always seemed to me little issues where hardware didnt quite work as well as stock. Put gingerbread on it?
    Censorship Reigns Supreme in Troll City...

• JJ_Egan
    JJ_Egan Posts: 20,281
    Forumite
    Try flashing the supersu zip .
    I have used Supersu on multiple roms including S2 .
    There are other root handlers besides supersu .

Dont know if its an actual CM problem as i have never used ASOP roms .
  • esuhl
    Forumite
    The trick i found with the S2. Do not update it... I stuck with gingerbread when my daughter updated hers. What a failure.

Thanks -- I find Cyanogenmod faster and more stable than the stock ROM. I'm not having any problems with it, other than getting SuperSU working.
    JJ_Egan wrote: »
    Try flashing the supersu zip .
    As above, that doesn't work. I get the ramdisk error I mentioned. :(
    I have used Supersu on multiple roms including S2 .
    There are other root handlers besides supersu .

Yes -- Cyanogenmod can handle root itself. I think this might be part of the problem. And apparently Apps2SD only works with some root handlers. SuperSU is recommended, so I'd like to use it as I assume this is what the developer uses for testing.
    Dont know if its an actual CM problem as i have never used ASOP roms .

What's an ASOP ROM? A non-stock one?

Cyanogenmod is deprecated now, having forked into LineageOS. And the latter doesn't have root access built-in. So I installed LineageOS, but now when I try to install SuperSU, I get the message "Root undetected".

Hmmm... :-/
  • JJ_Egan
    JJ_Egan Posts: 20,281
    Forumite
    ASOP android open source project roms .
  • DoaM
    DoaM Posts: 11,863
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    esuhl wrote: »
    What's an ASOP ROM? A non-stock one?

It's an incorrect typing of AOSP. :)
  • esuhl
    Forumite
    I just rediscovered this thread while searching for something else, but if anyone else is having the same issue...

I found that selecting the "Advanced method" when creating the mount script in Apps2SD fixes the problem. :-)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure