PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Renting impossible HELP!!

2»

Comments

• 00ec25
    00ec25 Posts: 9,123
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    edited 18 May 2017 at 10:33PM
    maidei wrote: »
    I'm thinking putting my concern here was not a good idea? (not to you directly) but from some of the comments here
    you made a general comment along the lines that you are not being successful when applying for a property

if you cannot accept that there will be a wide range of answers to your comment perhaps that in itself is indicative of the explanation you say you cannot understand (or don't like?). Landlords form impressions, just the same as you have formed an impression about the replies you received here. Impressions may be wrong, but they are often what drives a decision....

As it is in the direct financial interest of a letting agent to place a tenant as that way they get to charge fees. Therefore why are the agents you deal with not placing you or inundating you with potential places to look at ?

successfully signing a place to rent is not impossible otherwise there would be no one renting. Yes you are feeling frustrated, yes there may be a reason you have yet to identify (accept?) why you are not winning, but win in the end you will.
  • buglawton
    buglawton Posts: 9,235
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    i dont understand what you mean by your comment, you sound like we've met before? what makes you think im what you are describing?
    When you post a comment like this you should tap the Quote button so we know who's post you are replying to.

In any case you've made an odd reply in itself.
  • Davesnave
    Davesnave Posts: 34,741
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    as you can imagine, I cant disclose all the personal details you are asking (maybe its a question that does not require an answer. I work a FT job with good pay so I know i can get good ref check.
    I think you are having trouble communicating with letting agents, just as you are here.

You say you can't provide the personal details asked for (probably by me) but you missed the point; they aren't personal, because no one knows who you are here. You are anonymous.

With a letting agent, If you don't give them the information they require, then they'll simply choose someone easier to deal with.

By references, I meant the report(s)on you by a previous landlord(s). These are important, because if you've been a good tenant in the past, it's likely you'll be the same in the future.
  • kerri_gt
    kerri_gt Posts: 11,202
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Xmas Saver!
    Forumite
    Don't just look online, build a relationship with the lettings agents - go into branches, discuss what you're looking for and budget (and determine if this really is realistic), the time frame you're looking to move in and discuss what they currently have on their books and anything they know of that might be coming up.

Keep in contact after that - phone regularly to see if anything new has come onto their books (after all, they want to get properties let asap for their customer - ie the LL) but do remember to be polite and courteous as the relationship you have with the agent could well be the difference between you getting into a property vs someone else who has exactly the same credentials on paper.

Being proactive is a big part of getting to the top of the queue - but being polite and courteous is another big part too.

Yes, some properties might have older photos - i.e those taken the last time it was vacant, but also remember that properties when vacated for lets generally have some kind of cleaning clause in the check out for the outgoing tenant where their either have to clean it to a professional / satisfactory std or have a company do so.

If a property is particularly bad you could enquire as to whether the LL is going to redecorate (within reason) once the tenant moves out or make some agreement to do it yourself (we were going to do this in one house a number of years ago, the LL was living there but moving out, didn't have time to redecorate but agreed it needed to be done so agreed we could paint it as we wished colour-wise if we put in the work and he paid the materials)
    Feb 2015 NSD Challenge 8/12
    JAN NSD 11/16

• maidei
    maidei Posts: 7 Forumite
    Sound advice thank you.
    kerri_gt wrote: »
    Don't just look online, build a relationship with the lettings agents - go into branches, discuss what you're looking for and budget (and determine if this really is realistic), the time frame you're looking to move in and discuss what they currently have on their books and anything they know of that might be coming up.

Keep in contact after that - phone regularly to see if anything new has come onto their books (after all, they want to get properties let asap for their customer - ie the LL) but do remember to be polite and courteous as the relationship you have with the agent could well be the difference between you getting into a property vs someone else who has exactly the same credentials on paper.

Being proactive is a big part of getting to the top of the queue - but being polite and courteous is another big part too.

Yes, some properties might have older photos - i.e those taken the last time it was vacant, but also remember that properties when vacated for lets generally have some kind of cleaning clause in the check out for the outgoing tenant where their either have to clean it to a professional / satisfactory std or have a company do so.

If a property is particularly bad you could enquire as to whether the LL is going to redecorate (within reason) once the tenant moves out or make some agreement to do it yourself (we were going to do this in one house a number of years ago, the LL was living there but moving out, didn't have time to redecorate but agreed it needed to be done so agreed we could paint it as we wished colour-wise if we put in the work and he paid the materials)
  • maidei
    typing is not my strong point
    thanks for your advice
    Davesnave wrote: »
    I think you are having trouble communicating with letting agents, just as you are here.

You say you can't provide the personal details asked for (probably by me) but you missed the point; they aren't personal, because no one knows who you are here. You are anonymous.

With a letting agent, If you don't give them the information they require, then they'll simply choose someone easier to deal with.

By references, I meant the report(s)on you by a previous landlord(s). These are important, because if you've been a good tenant in the past, it's likely you'll be the same in the future.
  • maidei
    ok thanks im new to this
    buglawton wrote: »
    When you post a comment like this you should tap the Quote button so we know who's post you are replying to.

In any case you've made an odd reply in itself.
  • Cakeguts
    Cakeguts Posts: 7,627
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    What you need to remember is that it isn't the letting agents who decide who gets a property it is the landlord. The letting agents contact the landlord and discuss the applicants with them so that the landlord can decide who to let the property to.

I am a landlord who lets property through an agent. The kind of situation where we would decide not to let to someone includes a family of 7 (parents and 5 children and small modern 3 bed) wanting to rent a small 3 bed house, someone who has to give notice on their present property when there is someone else who can move in straight away, someone who only just earns enough. Every landlord wants a tenant who is likely to be the least amount of hassle and who will look after the property. Some tenants apply for properties that are completely unsuitable for them. A landlord is not going to wait for someone to see out their notice on a present rental if there is someone who can move in straight away.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure