First Car Buying Private How to Test Drive no insurance?

Hello,

So i am going to test drive a car being sold private tomorrow.

This is my first car so i currently have no insurance so am not insured to drive any other vehicles for a fact .

The person selling said i would be covered on their insurance, although i am really not convinced.

If i buy the annual insurance for the car now , can i just cancel it if the car turns out to be a dud ? Or is there a better way?

Comments

• Tilt
    Tilt Posts: 3,599 Forumite
    You can buy temporary cover

http://insure4aday.co.uk/?gclid=CN6L3bqo2s8CFUQW0woduRIHeA

Additionally the RK must have a live insurance policy covering the car itself. But I think that is their responsibility. Make sure you carry the temporary cover note bearing the car's details with you.
    PLEASE NOTE
    My advice should be used as guidance only. You should always obtain face to face professional advice before taking any action.
  • neilmcl
    neilmcl Posts: 19,460 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Hello,

So i am going to test drive a car being sold private tomorrow.

This is my first car so i currently have no insurance so am not insured to drive any other vehicles for a fact .

The person selling said i would be covered on their insurance, although i am really not convinced.

If i buy the annual insurance for the car now , can i just cancel it if the car turns out to be a dud ? Or is there a better way?
    If the seller is saying your covered on their insurance then they'll only have themselves to blame if you're not.

Your 4 options.

1, Accept what the seller says and take a risk
    2, Ask for proof of insurance from the seller
    3, Take out a days insurance cover
    4, Get someone who does have insurance to drive for you.

I remember the last car I sold privately the buyer was happy for me to drive the car for the test drive.

Have you been driving long?
  • Tilt wrote: »
    You can buy temporary cover

http://insure4aday.co.uk/?gclid=CN6L3bqo2s8CFUQW0woduRIHeA

Additionally the RK must have a live insurance policy covering the car itself. But I think that is their responsibility. Make sure you carry the temporary cover note bearing the car's details with you.

Why would the registered keeper also need a policy if you're taking out day insurance?

I've bought uninsured vehicles a few times and only had day insurance to test drive them and drive them home again.
  • neilmcl wrote: »
    If the seller is saying your covered on their insurance then they'll only have themselves to blame if you're not.

Your 4 options.

1, Accept what the seller says and take a risk
    2, Ask for proof of insurance from the seller
    3, Take out a days insurance cover
    4, Get someone who does have insurance to drive for you.

I remember the last car I sold privately the buyer was happy for me to drive the car for the test drive.

Have you been driving long?

What would happen if i crashed and it turned out they did not have insurance?

I have had a licence for 6 years but only just getting a car :eek:

On option 4 would it be the person insured not the car ?
  • What would happen if i crashed and it turned out they did not have insurance?
    You would get 6 points on your licence and a £300 fine and the owner of the vehicle could get the same for permitting you to drive with no insurance.
  • You would get 6 points on your licence and a £300 fine and the owner of the vehicle could get the same for permitting you to drive with no insurance.

£25 day insurance it is then!

I will go have a look at the car first and if initial inspections look okay i will stand there and take out the policy on my phone :)
  • Car_54
    Car_54 Posts: 8,208 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    neilmcl wrote: »
    It doesn't matter who the seller blames, the police and courts will blame both of you!

6 points minimum, plus fine.
  • Tilt
    Tilt Posts: 3,599 Forumite
    Why would the registered keeper also need a policy if you're taking out day insurance?

I've bought uninsured vehicles a few times and only had day insurance to test drive them and drive them home again.

Because that's rule under the continuous insurance enforcement. If you are the RK, then the car must be covered on a policy otherwise it will not show on the MIB thus could be picked up on ANPR. Plus it needs cover for it to be taxed. However, motor traders are exempt form continuous insurance enforcement so IF the OP is purchasing from a dealer then the car won't need it's own cover.
    PLEASE NOTE
    My advice should be used as guidance only. You should always obtain face to face professional advice before taking any action.
  • angrycrow
    angrycrow Posts: 1,078 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    You would get 6 points on your licence and a £300 fine and the owner of the vehicle could get the same for permitting you to drive with no insurance.

You would also be personally liable for the cost of any third party claims if you hit another person, car or property. A simple bump could easily cost over £1000 without even considering any personal injury claims which would start around £2500.

Temp insurance is the way to go for legality and peace of mind.
  • Fat_Walt
    Fat_Walt Posts: 750 Forumite
    Tilt wrote: »
    Because that's rule under the continuous insurance enforcement. If you are the RK, then the car must be covered on a policy otherwise it will not show on the MIB thus could be picked up on ANPR. Plus it needs cover for it to be taxed. However, motor traders are exempt form continuous insurance enforcement so IF the OP is purchasing from a dealer then the car won't need it's own cover.

Not the ops problem.

Tax maybe.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family