Is this tyre dangerous?

124»

Comments

• robotrobo
    robotrobo Posts: 921 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    JDPower wrote: »
    Well just to set everyone's mind at ease, new tyres are ordered.

Could i please purchase these tyres from you please!, theres loads of miles left on them yet & are far better than the ones fitted to my renault.
  • mrmot
    mrmot Posts: 192 Forumite
    If I was carrying out a MOT test on that car, I would be hard pushed to find a reason to fail them. Those cracks are quite small, less than 25mm long (or 10% of the tyre width, whichever is greater), so I'm not allowed to open them up to look for exposed cord, if there's no bulges in them to indicate a failure of the structure, they appear to be a pass. They'll certainly get and advisory.
  • JDPower
    JDPower Posts: 1,673 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Joe_Horner wrote: »
    Yes, but cracking is only a fail if it exposes the ply or cords which it's very unlikely those do.
    I'm glad you said that, as it was something at the back of my mind saying cracking was only serious if the canvas was exposed (wasn't imagining it lol), partly why I asked for confirmation of the mechanic's comments here.
  • I wouldn't fail them either, they'd get an advise though.

'Lethal' - I like that one.
  • reeac
    reeac Posts: 1,430 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    The individual cracks may be only around 25 mm long but they don't have to grow much to turn into a complete circumferential crack around the tyre. I wonder if the tyre has been run in a seriously under inflated condition with consequent weakening of the underlying structure.
  • Joe_Horner
    Joe_Horner Posts: 4,895 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    mrmot wrote: »
    [...]Those cracks are quite small, less than 25mm long (or 10% of the tyre width, whichever is greater), so I'm not allowed to open them up to look for exposed cord[...]

I think you've just cleared up a puzzle I've had for years over this - the apparent ambiguity between
    • a fail for a crack / cut over 25mm and "deep enough to reach the ply or cords" and
    • a fail for "any of its ply or cord exposed"

when the second would appear to cover the first anyway.

So, do I take it that the fail for "ply or cords exposed" only applies to damage where the ply is visible without any probing / prying / lifting flaps of rubber?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure