Ecco Shoes - They rot whether you wear them or not!

Options

Comments

• makintracks
    Options
    geri1965 wrote: »
    How are they supposed to know what you intend to do with the shoes?

I told the people in the store that I was upset that the particular model was being discontinued and totally changed and that I was buying several pairs of the older style to keep. Or is that not what you meant?
  • geri1965_2
    Options
    I told the people in the store that I was upset that the particular model was being discontinued and totally changed and that I was buying several pairs of the older style to keep. Or is that not what you meant?

Yes, it was what I meant.
  • melancholly
    Options
    As for missymugwump - I am sorry, a year from any pair of shoes is most certainly not reasonable unless you are talking about a childs pair of shoes that would generally take a lot of abuse.
    i wouldn't expect shoes that i walk and from work in every day to last over a year... it's all about how much you wear them. for example a pair of high heels would need re-heeling a lot if i used them daily!

i think your expectations are a little high - i can understand being annoyed after the last pair lasted so long though.

you can get companies that will put new soles on walking boots which can be cost effective if the boots are expensive or just really useful if you've found a comfortable pair. it may be worth looking into.

i think your attack on ecco is over the top though....
    :happyhear
  • pianeet
    Options
    i have always had ecco that lasted for years but in the last few years thier soles last knowhere near as long as they used to ,i am sure it is where they are made in thailand instead of denmark ,my first pair of ecco sandals lasted about 5 summers i am now lucky if they last one
    Hi, we’ve had to remove your signature. If you’re not sure why please read the forum rules or email the forum team if you’re still unsure - MSE ForumTeam
  • makintracks
    Options
    i wouldn't expect shoes that i walk and from work in every day to last over a year... it's all about how much you wear them. for example a pair of high heels would need re-heeling a lot if i used them daily!

I don't have experience of high heel shoes, but I can see why you say that.
    i think your expectations are a little high - i can understand being annoyed after the last pair lasted so long though.

I can only compare what I have used in the past and I have never experienced anything quite like this. I hate buying shoes because it is so hard to find anything comfortable, so I keep my shoes for many years as I take good care of them.
    you can get companies that will put new soles on walking boots which can be cost effective if the boots are expensive or just really useful if you've found a comfortable pair. it may be worth looking into.

I will look into it, but the design of the sole just doesn't make you think it is going to be fixable. My husband periodically has shoes resoled when the uppers are in good nick and the sole has simply worn away through use. That is only reasonable. Nobody expects a thing to last forever when you use it regularly. This is nothing like that though. The soles are literally just crumbling away even though there is still plenty of tread (most of it actually) and the shoes are still in excellent condition top and bottom apart from the bits breaking off.
    i think your attack on ecco is over the top though.... .

I still find it odd that Ecco accepted that my husband's pair of shoes shouldn't have had this problem, but not mine.

pianeet wrote: »
    i have always had ecco that lasted for years but in the last few years thier soles last knowhere near as long as they used to ,i am sure it is where they are made in thailand instead of denmark ,my first pair of ecco sandals lasted about 5 summers i am now lucky if they last one

I also believe there is a real quality issue behind all this. I have owned lots of Ecco sandals as well and funnily enough, they had the same end. I never even remembered about the sandals I had lost when contacting Ecco. We all know how little use sandals get in this country ;)
  • Amistoso_2
    Options
    If the knowledgable shoe store owners /employees like missymugwump and the manufacturers already know that the soles will degrade with time (whether used or not), why were they not honest enough to tell me that when I purchased several pairs to keep?

Erm... coz they wanted your cash??!!
  • pinkshoes
    pinkshoes Posts: 20,082 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    I didn't know that shoes you wore regularly would last over a year?? I'm lucky if my (flat) boots last the entire season, and they cost over £50 a pair.

Saying that, I have two gripes with modern boots:

Firstly, the quality is getting lower. My old (Clarkes) boots lasted a season and a half, yet my current ones had a hole in the sole and were splitting at the side before winter was out.

Secondly, not all of us are getting fatter, so STOP making boots to only fit people with fat calf muscles!!

ps- rubber (sole material) becomes brittle under heat, so will degrade over time!
    Should've = Should HAVE (not 'of')
    Would've = Would HAVE (not 'of')

No, I am not perfect, but yes I do judge people on their use of basic English language. If you didn't know the above, then learn it! (If English is your second language, then you are forgiven!)
  • KimYeovil
    KimYeovil Posts: 6,156 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 10 September 2009 at 12:48PM
    Options
    If you're not prepared to pay £375 to £1375 for a pair of real shoes don't complain. And who doesn't know that rubber degrades? Buy some real footwear with replaceable soles. And be prepared to pay more than £100 to replace the soles each time.

Unfortunately most consumers do not want to pay for quality, durability or repairability. Clarks, Ecco et al would be delighted to return to a world where shoppers know the difference between cost and value. But they would bankrupt themselves (as they almost did) whilst their former customers buy seasonal (if you're lucky) tat from elsewhere.

Coats and shoes are no longer pawnable valuables.
  • geri1965_2
    Options
    pinkshoes wrote: »
    Secondly, not all of us are getting fatter, so STOP making boots to only fit people with fat calf muscles!!

Can you tell me where these boots are please, as I can't find any to fit my calves?
  • KimYeovil
    KimYeovil Posts: 6,156 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    (By the way, OP, I trust you yourself ticked option 4 - you have not experienced any unusual sole degradation.)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure