Makro Card worth it?

I've been thinking of getting a Makro card, I've read a lot of posts on here saying it's not worth it. But surely if you can claim back VAT as a small business it would be worth it? Anyone know if you can claim back VAT on Makro purchases?

Comments

• sarah1972
    sarah1972 Posts: 18,887 Senior Ambassador
    Homepage Hero Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    What are you buying as most things at Makro don't have VAT on them?
    I’m a Senior Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Competitions Time, Shopping & Freebies boards, Employment, Jobseeking & Training boards If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • I was just going from posts on here, a few said be careful as prices don't include VAT on shelves. Would be buying stationery, food, household.
  • sarah1972
    edited 9 September 2017 at 2:05PM
    TheMsTeal wrote: »
    I was just going from posts on here, a few said be careful as prices don't include VAT on shelves. Would be buying stationery, food, household.

No vat on most household, stationery and only some foods.

What business do you run that you could claim the VAT back on food and household?

Food and drink for human consumption is usually zero-rated but some items are always standard-rated. These include catering, alcoholic drinks, confectionery, crisps and savoury snacks, hot food, sports drinks, hot takeaways, ice cream, soft drinks and mineral water. https://www.gov.uk/guidance/rates-of-vat-on-different-goods-and-services
    I’m a Senior Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Competitions Time, Shopping & Freebies boards, Employment, Jobseeking & Training boards If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • OK thanks, it's a small family business, I am not running it personally so not expert on VAT. You've answered my question anyway!
  • Just another quick point, if as you say "most" items at Makro don't have VAT on them, why do they bother to ask for proof you are running a business before you are allowed to join?
  • sarah1972
    TheMsTeal wrote: »
    Just another quick point, if as you say "most" items at Makro don't have VAT on them, why do they bother to ask for proof you are running a business before you are allowed to join?

Because allegedly they are wholesale cheaper like Bookers cash & Carry etc so therefore only for businesses.

I stopped using them years ago as I find supermarkets cheaper.
  • firefox1956
    firefox1956 Posts: 1,548 Forumite
    Same here...stopped using them 15 years ago !!
    The OP will find that they can buy most things cheaper in a supermarket.
    Places like Bookers can even be way overpriced.........
    Just take a look in peoples supermarket trollies......
    10 lettuces / 20 cucumbers / multiple purchases of tomato sauce etc all indicated business purchases.
    HTH
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport