Flight delay and cancellation compensation, KLM/AF ONLY

Comments

• Tyzap
    Tyzap Posts: 2,112 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Mo2CCs wrote: »
    Hello
    This is the first time (luckily) i have had to do this but wanted some advise of what to claim for
    trip included 2 flights
    Original flight was delayed so the connection to final destination was missed.
    I was transferred to another flight from different airport (food voucher and transfer voucher included)
    this flight was then delayed and then cancelled.
    Due to the limited flight availability i was then flown to another airport nearer to destination and had a 3 hour coach to final destination.
    original ETA was 1430 - actually arrived 2345

I guess i should claim for delayed arrival even though there was a cancellation ?

any advice greatly recd.
    thank you

Hi Mo2CCs,

Put in a claim and see what happens.

You're probably due compensation but without more detail it's hard to say for certain.

Good luck.
    Please read Vaubans superb guide. To find it Google and then download 'vaubans guide'.
  • OohSoHolly
    OohSoHolly Posts: 358 Forumite
    lilykate5 wrote: »
    Our flight home from Paris to Edinburgh on 15 July was cancelled due to air france pilot strikes. We had to rearrange our flight for next day and pay for a hotel for the night.

I have sent my information to Air France along with receipts for meal and accommodation and they have offered €250 per member of our family. From reading this sight it appears we may be entitled to more however I was also under the impression we may get nothing as it was their pilots on strike.

Should I go back asking for more?

We were in exactly the same situation flying on the 14th july and our flight was cancelled due to the strikes. I tried through Resolver but had no luck so far, I wondered if you wouldn't mind posting/messaging me the email you sent (minus your personal info!) and I'll contact them direct I think.

Thanks in Advance.
  • OohSoHolly
    OohSoHolly Posts: 358 Forumite
    Hello All,

Just to update I emailed Air France direct and received a response last night.

We had our flight cancelled from Ljubljana to Paris en route home to Manchester and we have been offered the following:

€250 per passenger
    The cost of the hotel for our overnight stay.

Does this seem correct. I get the impression they've done the distance from Ljubljana to Paris CDG rather than the full distance back to Manchester.

Thanks in Advance
  • Vauban
    Vauban Posts: 4,736 Forumite
    OohSoHolly wrote: »
    Hello All,

Just to update I emailed Air France direct and received a response last night.

We had our flight cancelled from Ljubljana to Paris en route home to Manchester and we have been offered the following:

€250 per passenger
    The cost of the hotel for our overnight stay.

Does this seem correct. I get the impression they've done the distance from Ljubljana to Paris CDG rather than the full distance back to Manchester.

Thanks in Advance

By great circle route, it's 1437 km. So €250 each.
  • photome
    photome Posts: 16,361 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Bake Off Boss!
    JPears wrote: »
    The fuel issue at Amsterdam really isn't an EC, it is inherent in running an airline - no different to a fuel truck breaking down or similar. KLM and the airport should have back up plans in place. since Schipol airport basically IS KLM I don't think they have an arguement. KLM have the ability to claim against a third party for losses.
    I suspect you may need to go to court if KLM don't give in when you send the NBA.
    photome wrote: »
    thanks guys. i will give it some thought and may go down the NWNF route.

my first flight would have been due to leave amsterdam for norwich at about 0915 so that was soon after the problem, it doesnt really explain why we got on it at Norwich at 1000 and it didnt leave untill 11.

it was chaos at Schipol with so many people waiting for rescheduled flights
    Caz3121 wrote: »
    When they missed their ATC slot with the delay they need to request a new one. From what you posted it sounds like they boarded everyone as soon as they could to be able to show they were ready to leave as soon as an ATC slot was issued...which turned out not to be till 11 (I have boarded flights before where they actually tell you that they have an ATC slot of 09:30 but they boarded everyone at 08:00... they can then state they are ready and possibly 50% of the time we have left earlier)
    It may have been worsened by the issue at Amsterdam, Although a huge airport they will have a finite number of stands so they will need to get planes out to free up the gates for planes coming in. Huge amount of planning in this stuff and nightmare in these sort of circumstances

good luck - the NWNFs can be a pretty good at telling you when there is no claim so hopefully will be positive

UPDATE

KLM as i said refused compensation.

I went to Bott who told me thet KLM initailly refused them as well.

they then gave them 14 days or they would take them to court ( i know i could have done it but this way was less stress and more expensive :eek:)

I have now received 2 payments of £342 each from Bott
  • JPears
    JPears Posts: 5,086 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    bumped to tidy board
    If you're new. read The FAQ and Vauban's Guide

The alleged Ringleader.........
  • My in-laws had a flight from China to the UK where their section from Amsterdam to Edinburgh was first cancelled, then they issued them a ticket they couldn't use (due to visa issues) via Ireland, and finally the flight they were allocated on was delayed by an hour, making the whole delay over 6 hours. They also weren't offered any food or drink by the KLM staff either.

I was wondering before demanding compensation whether or not in this scenario you are due compensation for a "long haul" flight, as it's part of a sector of a long haul flight, or whether because it's a short haul sector of the flight you would only be due compensation from the airline for this sector as the previous sector was from Guangzhou to Amsterdam.

Any ideas?
  • Tyzap
    bigdon wrote: »
    My in-laws had a flight from China to the UK where their section from Amsterdam to Edinburgh was first cancelled, then they issued them a ticket they couldn't use (due to visa issues) via Ireland, and finally the flight they were allocated on was delayed by an hour, making the whole delay over 6 hours. They also weren't offered any food or drink by the KLM staff either.

I was wondering before demanding compensation whether or not in this scenario you are due compensation for a "long haul" flight, as it's part of a sector of a long haul flight, or whether because it's a short haul sector of the flight you would only be due compensation from the airline for this sector as the previous sector was from Guangzhou to Amsterdam.

Any ideas?

Hi bigdon,

As long as they were through booked, all on one ticket, they should be due compensation of €600 each, provided that the cancellation was not due to an extraordinary circumstance. If they have receipts for meals and drinks they can also claim that back.

Good luck.
    Please read Vaubans superb guide. To find it Google and then download 'vaubans guide'.
  • Matt15
    Matt15 Posts: 17 Forumite
    My wife and I flew in June with KLM from Strasbourg to Krakow via Amsterdam. When we arrived in Amsterdam we were informed that the next leg of our journey had been cancelled and we would have to fly the next day. I put in a claim for compensation but today I got the following response:

"Per our records, I note that the above mentioned flight was delayed due to Air Traffic Control (ATC) restrictions as a consequence of adverse weather condition in Amsterdam (thunderstorms). In line with current legislations, such conditions are considered to be beyond the control of the airline and do not entitle passengers’ for compensation. Hence, we must respectfully decline your request for compensation."

I don't remember there being thunderstorms in Amsterdam that day. Also, when we looked at the departures board most of the other flights still seemed to be running. I get the feeling they're just trying to fob us off and get out of paying it. Is there anywhere that I can check this and what is the best way of proceeding with this?

Thanks in advance.
  • Tyzap
    Hi Matt15,

Probably a knock on delay from a previous flight but, if you post your flight details we can have a look.

Good luck.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure