Internet of Things

Comments

• hans_2
    hans_2 Posts: 420 Forumite
    GunJack wrote: »
    ..plus many things have already been hit by malware....

Check with Bitdefender Home Scanner
  • kwikbreaks
    kwikbreaks Posts: 9,187 Forumite
    edited 7 July 2017 at 10:50AM
    My home network with everything fired up would have maybe 20 devices. How anybody has 62 is a bit of a mystery to me.

Thanks for the network scanner link. I tried it but I'm less than impressed.
    I'm currently away from home so I checked my 4G MiFi. I haven't bothered to change the default admin password on it which is trivially easy to guess.
    Bitdefender Home Scanner looks for vulnerable devices and passwords, and offers detailed security recommendations for your home network
    Well despite easy access to the MiFi which is insecure from within the network it declared no security issues. It was pretty poor in identifying clients too and anybody trying to marry up its report with their devices is likely to be doing some head scratching.

15zi8o9.jpg
  • DoaM
    DoaM Posts: 11,863 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    62 devices sounds like several visitors (e.g. their phones, tablets etc.) have had previous access to the network, and the network summary is also showing legacy (not currently connected) devices.
  • TadleyBaggie
    TadleyBaggie Posts: 6,048 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    hans_2 wrote: »
    They don't seem to support macOS users, which is a shame.
  • kwikbreaks
    There are a number of similar scanners available for Android phones and tablets so maybe the iStore has something for an iphone (assuming you went the full Apple route).
  • kwikbreaks
    DoaM wrote: »
    62 devices sounds like several visitors (e.g. their phones, tablets etc.) have had previous access to the network, and the network summary is also showing legacy (not currently connected) devices.
    Yes probably correct. Mine only shows current leases but I suppose it could certainly be that,
  • DoaM
    DoaM Posts: 11,863 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    On my HH4 legacy devices can be shown, but they also show as Not Connected.
  • almillar
    almillar Posts: 8,621 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Anybody wanting a (fictional) cautionary tale about IoT should watch the latest season of Silicon Valley...
  • googler
    googler Posts: 16,103 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    kwikbreaks wrote: »
    I've heard ads about Hive (remote control of your central heating) describing it as life changing. I suppose somebody hacking it and naffing up your heating beyond repair midwinter could well be life changing ....

OH was telling me the other day a (possibly apocryphal) story heard about a couple who had an acrimonious breakup. The heating is/was connected to one of these hive gadgets, and the husband moved out, taking the controlling device and the knowledge of such for the CH with him.

Apparently, another male has moved in, and the ex-husband now exacts some form of revenge by remotely changing their central heating timing and temperature for them .....
  • 50Twuncle
    50Twuncle Posts: 10,763 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    googler wrote: »
    OH was telling me the other day a (possibly apocryphal) story heard about a couple who had an acrimonious breakup. The heating is/was connected to one of these hive gadgets, and the husband moved out, taking the controlling device and the knowledge of such for the CH with him.

Apparently, another male has moved in, and the ex-husband now exacts some form of revenge by remotely changing their central heating timing and temperature for them .....

I don't understand HIVE - Why on earth would someone want to switch on/off their central heating remotely from the other end of the country ?
    Have they not heard of Timers ?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport