PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Cooking for one

Comments

• meg72
    meg72 Posts: 5,164 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    It's £65 here too to have my grass clippings taken away as part of a refuse service .... fine if you have a large leafy plot with lots of garden waste, but I've a new build small lawn and fairly tame front hedge.... luckily the tip's close to me, so I can tip it for free - but I do still have to then time grass cutting/hedge clipping with when I'm immediately prepared to take it to the tip, else I run the risk of it all getting wet if it rains and then turning nasty - and not fancying doing it any more :)

I cut/dispose of it about 4-5x a year. It's about 1 black dustbin liner/trip.

OMG that's awful, we have a green bin here for garden waste and its taken away free every fortnight mines usually empty as I compost the grass cuttings but its a god send when the hedges need trimming.
    Slimming World at target
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Just popped out ... (don't tell anybody about the choccies) ....

Popped into 4ldi - and stopped to look at fruit/veg. Most was packaged. There were a few loose items: red peppers (this week's special) at 39p each; honeydew melons, gala melons, limes, grapefruit, bananas, apples and pears were loose. For veg I didn't spot any, but I might've missed it.

Didn't buy a thing in 4ldi, only popped in to see if they'd reduced the big rolls as I've fish fingers to get through, but as they were still full price I left it .... I always feel like a shoplifter being watched when I leave a shop without buying anything!
  • joedenise
    joedenise Posts: 16,560 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    PN - have you thought about buying the bags of mixed veg? You'd only need to keep one bag of veg in then. You can bags with large pieces of veg in or ones that are chopped small. I prefer the small chopped ones myself as they mix well if I'm cooking mince.

Denise
  • SunnyGirl
    SunnyGirl Posts: 2,639 Forumite
    PN Thanks for looking at the fruit and veg you're a love. The fruit I'd eat but like you am looking for loose veg I'd prefer to buy say 3 carrots, 2 potatoes, 2 onions and a pepper. I may email Aldi and Lidl and ask if they do them loose. Singlie power and all that!
  • SunnyGirl wrote: »
    PN Thanks for looking at the fruit and veg you're a love. The fruit I'd eat but like you am looking for loose veg I'd prefer to buy say 3 carrots, 2 potatoes, 2 onions and a pepper. I may email Aldi and Lidl and ask if they do them loose. Singlie power and all that!

Yep....good on ya' if you do:T.

....and I'd be sticking in the point re there's 7 million of us and suggesting they might like a little "light reading" (ie our thread:)).
  • PasturesNew
    edited 8 June 2017 at 8:01PM
    joedenise wrote: »
    PN - have you thought about buying the bags of mixed veg? You'd only need to keep one bag of veg in then. You can bags with large pieces of veg in or ones that are chopped small. I prefer the small chopped ones myself as they mix well if I'm cooking mince.

Denise
    That's what I was doing, mostly. But then it got to Xmas and I also bought more.... which have lurked in my small freezer until today.

All my freezer drawers are 7"/18cm deep and 14"/36cm wide. Two are 14" long and one is 7" long. So 2½ baskets.

Post-Xmas I had opened veggie bags of: cheap mixed veg, regular 4ldi mixed veg, brussels, roasties, white onions, cauli/broccoli.

If a family bought 1Kg of brussels for Xmas they'd cook half the pack on each of two days and it'd be gone. When a single does it they cook 6-8 individual little brussels each time ...and they last months! I cooked all sorts with those, ate them with roast meals, made a variety of bubble/squeaks .... and still there were some left.
  • SunnyGirl
    Yep....good on ya' if you do:T.

....and I'd be sticking in the point re there's 7 million of us and suggesting they might like a little "light reading" (ie our thread:)).

That's what made me think of doing so - I think you mentioned that there were 7 million of us after watching the tv programme that PN told us about? Power to the people and all of that :j
  • Anne_Marie_2
    Anne_Marie_2 Posts: 2,123 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    SunnyGirl wrote: »

Think that would be a great thing to do.....actually you all should do it. A campaign should be started!:p Good on you SunnyGirl.

I do exactly what you would like to do, a couple of potatoes, 2-3 carrots, couple of onions, 2 bananas etc.

Fruit and veg all used to be loose, or at least most of it. It's a supermarket con to get consumers to buy more than they need, and therefore more waste. Supermarkets say that they are concerned about food waste....only what they don't sell and have to bin, not the food waste we have at home, as that's cutting into their profits.

Caronc, so glad to hear that your Dad is ok, you take it easy girl, you've had a shock too.
  • PasturesNew
    edited 9 June 2017 at 9:25AM
    Food will become increasingly difficult, I think I need a loaf of bread so I can rely on toast .... and sandwiches.

This morning I removed the two empty baskets from the freezer - might as well wash those ahead of the freezer defrost moment.

Baskets: https://s4.postimg.org/4otr1l671/Freezer_Baskets_090027768_500x.jpg
    Freezer: https://s30.postimg.org/pk9tfe3f5/Freezer_Basket_090107950_500.jpg

Breakfast - I could have any combination from veggie burger, hash browns, sausages and beans.... can't decide which would be the best combination. It's hard to strike a balance between using what you've got and ending up with a strange combination as you'd not have "chosen" to put 2-3 items together onto one plate... but "it's food" ... and has to be eaten.

And here's what's left in the one drawer remaining:

https://s15.postimg.org/q8mugen0b/Freezer_Food_Remaining_090313694_500x.jpg

6 Fish fingers, 3 beanburgers, peas, 3 hash browns, 3 small Yorkshires. There's also 4 lollies in there, which aren't in the photo.

hg7x83fz2, abjw1m9qq, 6qs70gq2k
  • SunnyGirl
    Hash brown, sausage and beans sounds a cracking brekkie to me PN :)

Morning all. I tweeted Aldi last night and have had a reply asking me to message them with my problem. I'm going to say that as a singlie, and one of 7million, why don't they sell fruit and veg loose. Only selling prepackaged produce is forcing us to go to the big supermarkets or local shops which are more expensive and why we shop at Aldi in the first place. What do you think?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure