British sign language

Please feel free to move to more relevant forum

I have for a long time wanted to learn British Sign Language. Reaching 50 at the end of this year has prompted me to realise this. Any recommendations please from anyone who has done this.

Is it better on a course at college or being self taught like YouTube or books?

Thank you
Life is like a bath, the longer you are in it the more wrinkly you become.

Comments

• I would try YouTube first, see how you got on & take it from there.

You may decide to go to an evening class to refine / get a formal qualification later
  • Seanymph
    Seanymph Posts: 2,874 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Hah! I'm 50 this year and started the Introduction to British Sign Language course at my local adult education last week.

I would recommend that you go along to a class - it wasn't that dear, they are a brilliant group of people, and practising with each other is so important. There is also the 'correct' way to sign, and the 'lazy, every day' way to sign. I have learnt that signing is regional (like an accent!), and that decoding someone else's is harder than learning the signs yourself!

The group I go to also has links to a monthly Friday night dinner group that meets (optional of course) and also a Saturday morning coffee meeting (again, optional!).

It isn't that expensive, and I am thoroughly enjoying it.
  • Spendless
    Spendless Posts: 24,149 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    I'd recommend going to a class too. Though I don't sign I know people who do. There's facial expression within it too as well as using your hands. IMO you'd need someone to tell you that you've got it correct or where you're going wrong when you're learning.

Good luck
  • suejb2
    suejb2 Posts: 1,918 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Well I've just learnt the alphabet and can spell names. Onwards and upwards. Thank you.
    Life is like a bath, the longer you are in it the more wrinkly you become.
  • I'm also 50 at the end of this year, but learned sign language on a few courses at the local community centre several years ago. I've also attended courses at my local Deaf Centre. If you have a Deaf Centre in your area, they are usually the best place to try, as they may also have social groups that you can join (great for practicing!).

I'm a bit rusty these days, but my son no longer needs to sign very much - we used signing (on a simpler level than BSL, we used Makaton with him) when he was younger. I still use some in Rainbows and Brownies, and teach them at least one song a year, usually at Christmas, in Makaton. I also teach them some basic finger spelling.
  • TBagpuss
    TBagpuss Posts: 11,203 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    I think a class would be best, as you can interact with others and have personal feedback. By all means back up with books and youtube.

A friend and I went to an evening class to learn, a few years ago.I'm very rusty now but it was a good starting point.
    All posts are my personal opinion, not formal advice Always get proper, professional advice (particularly about anything legal!)
  • I did an "Introduction to BSL" a few years ago and it was really good. There's local variations in the language - you sign some stuff "with an accent"! I would recommend a class as you can ask questions and learn things in a more interactive way. As part of our class, we were invited to our local Deaf Club, which was a fab night out and a great opportunity to try out what we'd learned.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure