Help please baby sitting

Comments

• Don't people read to children at bedtime anymore ?
    Decluttering, 20 mins / day Jan 2024 2/2 
  • Don't people read to children at bedtime anymore ?

My son-in-law didn't have bedtime stories, and before his daughter was born, he didn't see the need for a baby to have any books. By the time my granddaughter was a day old, he was reading stories to her :). He reads her two stories every night at bedtime, and they both enjoy it.

Apologies for hijacking the thread :o
  • pinkshoes
    pinkshoes Posts: 20,082 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    helcat26 wrote: »
    It is a Friday and their usual bedtime weekday is 10pm. Past experience has shown they will not go to bed if instructed to do so at that time but stay up till the parent gets home.

I do not approve of this but I can hardly send them to bed at 8pm if their parents usually have them up until 10pm.

I do not want to be new and exciting (firstly I am not new) I would be delighted if I was so boring they went to bed.
    Best I have managed in past is bedclothes and snuggle on sofa. Apparently this is more than their Mum and Dad get them to do as they expressed sheer wonder last time!

!!!!!!????

My 7 year old goes to bed at 8pm on a Friday. Well, technically 7.30pm then he can read 'til 8pm.

I would suggest getting a selection of good books from the library and reading to them. They can perhaps draw what they think the characters look like, or have a go at acting it our or making up their own plot?
    Should've = Should HAVE (not 'of')
    Would've = Would HAVE (not 'of')

No, I am not perfect, but yes I do judge people on their use of basic English language. If you didn't know the above, then learn it! (If English is your second language, then you are forgiven!)
  • System
    System Posts: 178,093 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Dont play games with them as it will probably wind them up rather than wind them down.
  • mgdavid
    mgdavid Posts: 6,705 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    If they're up til 10pm (God preserve us - WTAF??) then you are child-minding not babysitting, and that is a higher pay rate!
    The questions that get the best answers are the questions that give most detail....
  • barbiedoll
    barbiedoll Posts: 5,326 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Get them to devise a story.....with two characters, a small girl and her older brother. Ask them what adventures they should have, where they should go and who or what should should they meet along the way. Get them to draw their characters, or monsters they might meet, the car or helicopter that is going to transport them, etc etc.

Write it down (bare bones, they’ll have forgotten half of it by morning) and if you do babysit them again, you can carry it on.

10pm weekday bedtime for a 5 and 7 year old? I bet they’re half asleep at school :(
    "I may be many things but not being indiscreet isn't one of them"
  • helcat26
    helcat26 Posts: 1,119 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Thanks everyone
    Yes I am shocked by the bedtime thing- I remember asking to stay up to watch Dr Who when I was a kid.
    But when you babysit you are kind of stuck with their rules.

Thank you for the comments very constructive
    think my plan is
    Get them fed
    Change to pyjamas and watch movie- Disney coco or some such

Snuggle up like beds on couch

Hopefully smallest will fall asleep.
    Maybe 7 year old will play some games.

Read partner (mine) riot act about being home on time

Have taken on board it is too late for crafts
  • Marvel1
    Marvel1 Posts: 7,171 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Was waiting for the "perfect" parents not liking what time they go to bed.
  • Caroline_a
    Caroline_a Posts: 4,071 Forumite
    cjdavies wrote: »
    Was waiting for the "perfect" parents not liking what time they go to bed.

Not so much perfect parents, more normal parents!
  • dawyldthing
    dawyldthing Posts: 3,438 Forumite
    Get some colouring books too to help them unwind. Most kids (and adults) love colouring. I know I've coloured a few times over the years to unwind
    :T:T :beer: :beer::beer::beer: to the lil one :) :beer::beer::beer:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport