Here we can all be heard for a little while. Part 3

Comments

• geminilady
    geminilady Posts: 1,922 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    PENGUIN Reply to Georgie

I would really try and persuade her to see the doctor,impress on her how common it is for people to feel this way depression can come from nowhere there does not have to be a reason but it can be fixed.Maybe offer to go with her if she does not want to go on her own.
  • Thank you all, really appreciate your replies. :A

Penguin (ref suicide)

I've tried again to try and get them to talk to someone (professional), but apparently they don't need to and "will you stop going on" was the reply. So, I will leave it for now, with the knowledge that if ever they want to talk then I am there, and if they want to go and speak to someone, I will go with them.

It's just the words "I just don't want to be here" keep on going round in my head, and it's really getting to me. I saw my uncle being the happy joker, the last person (but then I guess it often is?) you'd expect to take his own life, and yet he did. Years on, I still remember that night like it was yesterday. I think that's why it's hit me so hard. My Aunty showed me his suicide note, and she was the one who found him.

Would someone say something like that but not really mean it? I do hope so, and that it was just how they were feeling on that particular day. Because today they're back to their normal (so it seems) self. Laughing, singing and pratting about like usual

Penguin end.
  • Izadora
    Izadora Posts: 2,047 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Penguin reply I don't know if someone would say it and not mean it but it's definitely possible to feel like that without having any intention of doing anything about it.
    I have phases of wishing I could not be here and if someone could invent a pill that would make it as though I'd never existed, so I could disappear without upsetting or hurting anyone I care about, then I'd take it.
    If I ever got to the point of it being more than a feeling of "I wish I could not be here" to seriously wanting to do something about it then I'd get help but, as it is, I'm still aware of the fact that it's a phase which always passes and there's no way I could hurt my parents, IzHe or friends/family as much as me taking my own life would.
    End penguin
  • tea_lover
    tea_lover Posts: 8,261 Forumite
    Penguin reply to Georgie

I know it used to be thought that if someone talked about suicide they wouldn't do it, but that is definitely a myth. However, obviously it doesn't follow that everyone who does talk about it is going to follow through on those thoughts. It really is such an individual thing.

A friend of mine took their own life 3 years ago and (clich! alert!), he really was the last person you would ever expect it of. But of course you also get people at the opposite end of the spectrum who will talk about their intentions before they put them into action.

None of which helps in this situation of course - except to hopefully help your realise that there is no 'one right answer', no magic thing you can say to give the person a breakthrough. All you can do is let them know you're there for them.... which you have done.

I'm so sorry you've gone through this before with your uncle. It's not at all surprising that the current situation is difficult for you with that in mind.
    End of penguin.

Take care xx.
  • Wellyboots6
    Wellyboots6 Posts: 2,735 Forumite
    Penguin to Georgie

Not wanting to be here and actually wanting to carry something out can be very different feelings for people.
    Often the 'not wanting be here' is more about not wanting to be in the situation any more, or not wanting to feel that way. That is different to actually wanting to carry out an act, having plans for means etc.
    There is nothing wrong with telling her you are concerned about that particular phrase she used and ask her to clarify what she meant.
    Ultimately what she decides to do about the way she feels is down to her. If she feels worthless etc then the best help you can be is to help her see she does actually have choices and that it is down to her to choose what is best for her.
    I agree there are circumstances where you can break a confidence, and you also have to remember to look after yourself as well.
  • You are all so brilliant at knowing exactly what to say, and the right way of saying things. The thing you've all said above is kinda what I was meaning but not knowing how to explain it properly. In other words, I don't think she'd do anything, but just doesn't want to feel like that anymore. Can feel like that, but have no intention of actually doing anything.

I think with what happened with my uncle, it's all just messed with my head abit. I'm tired too, emotionally and physically. It took it out of me all day yesterday, and then I just could not drop off to sleep.

Hope everyone else is ok?
  • tea_lover
    Another little penguin to Georgie

I've often felt like "I don't want to live this life anymore", but that's a very different feeling to "I don't want to live anymore".

Hugs x.
  • I think that's basically what it was tea. x
  • elsien
    elsien Posts: 32,684 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Slight change of topic - I am watching tattoo fixers and someone has requested a tattoo of a zombie sloth.:D
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
  • tea_lover
    I dreamt I had an awful tattoo the other night... was very relieved when I woke up and didn't have "the end is nigh" across my arm!

Last night I dreamt that an enormous sinkhole opened up in my parents' garden and pretty much the whole town fell in there.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback