5p bag charge - your views

Comments

• A._Badger
    A._Badger Posts: 5,850 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    robin58 wrote: »
    Well, well you will not believe it but I do share some of your concerns. But the world has moved on since the early 60's,70's and 80's.

The remark by Tony Juniper I do actually agree on. The trouble is the general public has got carried away with the great supermarket 'benefit' to the world.

I am of an age of when there was once a great choice of where I could buy meat plus fruit and veg. Most of these independent shops have disappeared in my town. There is only a couple left, mainly due to the custom they provide but they will go in due course.

I mourn the lose of these shops.

I am glad that there is now a great hate of the big supermarkets.

As for the Daily Mail, most of the people who you said were 'whipped up' , I think you need to read the comments online. Most of these 'whipped people' were taking the p out of the Daily Mail and it's reporting.

And one thing I must say here, I read The Daily Mail online because it's easy accessible. I don't and I repeat DON'T believe 3/4 qtrs of what it says. To me they are compatible to the other rag, The Sun.

I find it quite concerning how you love to repeat with glee about them.

As for the bag issue, something had to be done.

The supermarkets could have just stopped giving away the bags and just make you buy them. But they did not.

I have, before this charge came in , been offered 9 free bags in one visit to my town. I turned down all of them bar 1 due to what I was buying.

Sometimes the only way to herd cats, is to slowly give them some guidance in the right direction. That is what the charge was for.

Seems to have worked in Wales and Scotland.

PS The 'paranoid behavior'. comment was in jest to the comment you put on another thread about 'Did we go to the moon?' Please read your own comment you wrote on that thread.

Remember that, sometimes a point will get across better if you sweeten it a bit, instead of being bitter.

As far as I am aware I have never commented on any such subject. Would you care to provide a link, please? I suspect you are mistaken.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,090 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Yolina wrote: »
    I think that these are in the several hours range on surfaces like plastic, longer at lower temperatures like in a fridge. It's stuff like norovirus that can live for a week and longer.

I'm more concerned about packaging leaking rather than anything else, hence why I now just grab an extra veg bag or 2 if I'm going to buy meat from somewhere that doesn't automatically give you one at the checkout.
    Don't worry about it unless you can find evidence that there has been an increase in Norovirus etc in Wales, Scotland or NI since the introduction of carrier bag charges which can be attributed to that event
  • Yolina
    Yolina Posts: 2,262 Forumite
    edited 3 November 2015 at 9:24PM
    Big_Graeme wrote: »
    The lack of a fresh carrier bag is not going to do anything about norovirus

Absolutely, and I never said it would. But since norovirus was mentioned earlier...
    the food poisoning bacteria won't live more than a few hours on a hard surface like plastic.

And I've said that's not really my main concern - I'd just rather not have raw meat juices potentially leak into one of my reusables, I think that's fair enough? Some stuff I like to keep separate - meat is one of these; just like I wouldn't carry, say, bleach in the same bag as vegetables.

We've established that in England, supermarkets are allowed to give for free a small plastic bag to put uncooked meat or fish - as it turns out, some do and some don't. To get round this I get extra veg bags that I can then use to put meat in at the checkout. I really don't see the problem there.

I'm still very irritated by the fact that I have to pay for bags to put my rubbish in now though :p
    Now free from the incompetence of vodafail
  • Yolina
    Yolina Posts: 2,262 Forumite
    edited 3 November 2015 at 9:27PM
    !!!!!! wrote: »
    Don't worry about it unless you can find evidence that there has been an increase in Norovirus etc in Wales, Scotland or NI since the introduction of carrier bag charges which can be attributed to that event

Once again:

I.AM.NOT.WORRIED.ABOUT.THAT.

:D There, I hope that's clear now :D
    Now free from the incompetence of vodafail
  • Big_Graeme
    Big_Graeme Posts: 3,220 Forumite
    Zandoni wrote: »

The ones we are talking about here? Nah timed in hours as seen on that link.
  • A._Badger
    A._Badger Posts: 5,850 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    !!!!!! wrote: »

You're quite sure about that, are you?

"With respect to the norovirus outbreak, Dr. Charles Gerba, a professor in the Departments of Soil, Water and Environmental Science at the University of Arizona who conducts research about the transmission of pathogens through the environment, issued the following statement:1

“The latest outbreak of norovirus reinforces the research we have conducted about the propensity of reusable grocery bags to act as hosts for dangerous foodborne bacteria and viruses. In reality, reusable bags are likely at fault much more often than we realize: cases often go unreported and uninvestigated.

“The cause of roughly 70 percent of foodborne illness cases, the norovirus spreads very easily and Symptom's include projectile vomiting and severe diarrhea. It can have such sweeping consequences as school and emergency room closures. This incident should serve as a warning bell: permitting shoppers to bring unwashed reusable bags into grocery and retail stores not only poses a health risk to baggers but also to the next shoppers in the checkout line."

http://www.zdnet.com/article/green-shopping-bags-linked-to-stomach-flu/

Of course, American bags are different from those in Wales, Scotland & N. Ireland. Perhaps you think the virus can tell the difference?
  • System
    System Posts: 178,090 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    I have put raw meat with other things in bags for years and not had any ill effect.

I had food poisoning from my late grandmother's lack of hygiene when I was 8. She wiped cutlery with an old j cloth and put them back in the drawer. My mother saw her doing this about a month after the fp

I had mumps at the same time. So vomiting was even more traumatic
  • Zandoni
    Zandoni Posts: 3,423 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic Combo Breaker First Post
    Big_Graeme wrote: »
    The ones we are talking about here? Nah timed in hours as seen on that link.

I'd suggest you read my link again.
    Norovirus can survive for days or weeks on hard surfaces.
  • Big_Graeme
    Zandoni wrote: »
    I'd suggest you read my link again.

I read it first time, your little strawman argument about norovirus kinda folds when it isn't one of the issues with re-used bags.
  • Big_Graeme
    A._Badger wrote: »
    You're quite sure about that, are you?

"With respect to the norovirus outbreak, Dr. Charles Gerba, a professor in the Departments of Soil, Water and Environmental Science at the University of Arizona

The same crank who's work was sponsored by "American Chemistry Council" who represent bag makers? The same crank who warned about soap dispensers while taking money from Clorox?

I'd be careful hanging my hat on that peg.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure