Ending PCP early

Options
Hi
I really need advice I took out a Kia car on PCP in July last year.
My circumstances have now changed, I am separating from my husband and my income has now changed. i am now on low income - 700 a month and the PCP is over 300 a month
I cannot afford to pay the monthly cost or pay back the 50% they will want if I hand it back.
Can anyone advise me what to do please ?
Thank you

Comments

• motorguy
    motorguy Posts: 22,473 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Justme72 wrote: »
    Hi
    I really need advice I took out a Kia car on PCP in July last year.
    My circumstances have now changed, I am separating from my husband and my income has now changed. i am now on low income - 700 a month and the PCP is over 300 a month
    I cannot afford to pay the monthly cost or pay back the 50% they will want if I hand it back.
    Can anyone advise me what to do please ?
    Thank you

Whilst the debt may be in your name it - i would have thought - be considered a shared debt in terms of separation / divorce.

I'd be speaking to a solicitor about that.

Otherwise you're fairly stuffed. Either keep paying, or hand the car back and suffer the consequences (they'll flog it off at auction and pursue you for the difference)
  • neilmcl
    neilmcl Posts: 19,460 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    If you can't afford the payments then you could try and sell the car (with the finance co. permission) either back to the dealer, or possibly privately, and take out a loan to cover the negative equity that you'll no doubt owe.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,093 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    motorguy wrote: »
    Whilst the debt may be in your name it - i would have thought - be considered a shared debt in terms of separation / divorce.

Nope. She bought the car herself, she still has the car. Shared debts are things like joint loans, the mortgage.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure