New employer not giving me contracted hours

Hello! This is my first post on Money Saving Expert, and I'm afraid it's going to be a long one. If anyone can help me it would be greatly appreciated. Buckle up, folks - it's story time.

I applied for a job as a receptionist in a hotel. I was given an interview with the deputy general manager, and a few days later he got back to me via email. He said that he was impressed with me, but that he'd found someone with more reception experience and was going to give them the job. However, he offered me a housekeeping position (since I have experience in housekeeping) and said that I could be trained up for reception once I had settled in. Before I accepted, I emailed back asking about the contracted hours. In his reply, the deputy GM said that it was a 40 hour contract, and I accepted.

On Monday (15/01/18), I went into the hotel to sign my contract. The general manager had written '30 hours' on it. I challenged him and he said that it was officially a 30 hour contract but that it would be "more like 40", which is why he advertised it as a 40 hour contract. Yesterday I started my first shift at 9am, and the housekeeping supervisor told me some things that were quite worrying. She said that the housekeepers often finished early and were sent home without being paid for the rest of the day. She gave me an example, and said that one day last week, the hotel was extremely quiet. All the rooms were clean by 1pm, and the housekeepers were sent home - after only working and being paid for four hours.

I emailed the deputy GM in my lunch break about me agreeing to work 40 hours a week - so, eight hours a day, five days a week. He replied saying that he put me on a 30 hour contract "if I remember", and to take into consideration that because I was working as an extra while I was training, I could expect to finish earlier.

At 3.30pm, all the rooms in the hotel were clean and the other housekeepers were sent home. I was asked to leave as well, but refused, explained the situation, and said that I would leave at 5pm. I helped a porter with a large linen delivery and then the general manager realised that the whole hotel could do with being hoovered, so she let me do that. Before I left at 5pm, the housekeeping supervisor told me to come in at 10am today (17/01/18) rather than 9am. I asked why and her answer was very sketchy and to be honest I still don't understand. So, I accepted that I would be working seven hours today and went into work at 10am.

Today, all of the rooms were clean by 2.40pm, and the other housekeepers were sent home. I was not asked to go home, and was instead asked to clean and organise the hotel's three linen cupboards. I cleaned two of them and at four o'clock I asked the general manager where the third cupboard was as I still hadn't completely found my way around the hotel. She informed me that she and the housekeeping supervisor had already cleaned it "so we could finish at four". I was furious - I had only worked and been paid for six hours.

I'm hoping it will get better once I start my reception training. I know for a fact that the receptionists work eight hours a day, guaranteed. But I can't keep doing this for two months. The general manager tried to cover her back by saying "sometimes you go home early but other days we might need you to stay late so that makes up for it" - but there's no way they could guarantee that some days I'd need to stay late. I've been keeping a log of my hours, including the times all the work was supposedly finished, the tasks that I completed after this statement had been made, and the times I went home at. Tomorrow I'm going to ask for a copy of the contract that I signed to see if there are any loopholes that the management are using to their advantage.

So I suppose what I'm asking is - am I in the right or the wrong? I feel like a mug for believing the deputy GM when he said that it would be "more like 40" even though he had written down 30 on the contract. Is there anything I can do about this? I really want stable hours with stable pay. Any ideas?

Thank you,
Rachel

Comments

• Carrot007
    Carrot007 Posts: 4,534 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    If they are paying you less than 30 hours you have an issue. If contracted they should pay you that much. Anything more is optional and what you signed. Sounds like the place is failing and avoiding costs to me.

• Thank you. They are definitely trying to avoid costs wherever they can. When I asked about how much time the housekeepers are expected to spend in each room, the supervisor told me that the management had cut down the allocated time in each room so that the rooms would be cleaned quicker and therefore the housekeepers could go home sooner. When I ask for a copy of my contract tomorrow I'll ask someone in management about me getting paid 30 hours whether or not there is work for me to do.

• So I suppose what I'm asking is - am I in the right or the wrong? I feel like a mug for believing the deputy GM when he said that it would be "more like 40" even though he had written down 30 on the contract. Is there anything I can do about this? I really want stable hours with stable pay. Any ideas?

Thank you,

As another wise and frequent poster always puts it "think of it as paid to job seek for the job you really want" if you haven't got the result you wanted. You did well in one interview for the position you want, you can do it again at another hotel. Don't let the resentment brew think of all that potential extra time for interviews for the job you are really after. ;)
  • sangie595
    sangie595 Posts: 6,092 Forumite
    You signed a contract for 30 hours work, and you are entitled to be paid for 30 hours per week. On the other hand, you have been there three days and need two years for employment protection. Kick up a fuss and you won't last the week. So decide whether you need the job or not.

I would put absolutely no faith in promises of training. There is no way you can make them keep that promise. And if the hotel is so empty is doesn't need much cleaning, how many receptionists can they possibly need? I wouldn't believe a word they have said in your shoes.
  • Thanks for your reply. I’m really torn. Like you said, this is a brand new job and I don’t want to be labelled the ‘difficult’ one. The other housekeepers are Polish and their English isn’t good enough to ask questions like the ones I’m asking, so they just go along with it and let the management take advantage of them. I’m only 21 and a lot younger than the other housekeepers so the management are really likely to become annoyed at me very quickly. But I want them to know that just because I’m young they can’t walk all over me. I really need this job so I suppose I should be grateful for the hours that they are giving me. But my parents brought me up to not take crap from anyone, including authority figures, so I want to let them know if they’re being unreasonable.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure