The Edcawber Principle

Comments

• edinburgher
    edinburgher Posts: 13,457 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Brodiebobs wrote: »
    Mr E, I've just 're-found you' i thought you'd gone AWOL subscribed and will catch up with your adventures :)

Hi Brodiebobs :)

I went AWOL for a while, but now it's largely me vs. the credit cards.
  • ZTD
    ZTD Posts: 24,327 Forumite
    Yes. 1) About a third to half? of the money has been gifts. I've invested every penny she has been gifted since birth. 2) The rest has come from child benefits. Apart from £2k or so in one time costs and intangibles such as moving to a house with more bedrooms (our choice), DD isn't too costly yet ;) I've tracked spending since she was born after reading all those horrific "a child costs £250k!" clickbait articles and she spends about £115/month in baby stuff. Sorry, rambling. In short, I've always been of the opinion that CB was 'her money', as it wouldn't be there if not for her. I'm sure a lot of people probably view that as very twatty and middle class, but that's how I feel :D

If you're counting every penny, then your attitude is different to when you're not. It's horses for courses, and both attitudes are correct.
    Our debts arose from both a structural deficit and short-term factors, neither of which were DD's fault.

The investments are actual and I would consider using them to pay down debts if they would wipe out the debt, but not if they were just another drop in the ocean. One option would be to sell her holdings down to one unit and then repay her over the next 1x years. This would make for far lower monthly payments, but we'd expose ourselves to quite a bit of risk as we would be morally obliged to match the growth of the investments.

Would you also feel yourself morally obliged to match losses?
    So if a magical super bull market appears because we crack the secret of limitless free energy or something, we'd be gubbed :eek:

Magical super bull markets also appear for other (more common) reasons.

Would you see no value in offering her a good (better than savings) but risk-free interest rate?
    "Follow the money!" - Deepthroat (AKA William Mark Felt Sr - Associate Director of the FBI)
    "We were born and raised in a summer haze." Adele 'Someone like you.'
    "Blowing your mind, 'cause you know what you'll find, when you're looking for things in the sky."
    OMD 'Julia's Song'
  • I too account for little one's cb separately in ynab.
    £30 a month goes into his savings account,
    £50 a month (well every 4 weeks) gets spent on things for the heat and now, swimming lessons, and shoes mostly. Some toys. At the moments I'm nearly 'a month ahead' having not spent very much over the Christmas period. I would love to save more for him, but if I did he wouldn't be able to do the things he does now.
    Outstanding mortgage: £23,181 (December 19)
    MFW 2020 Challenge Member #10 0/£2318
  • Brodiebobs
    Brodiebobs Posts: 1,032 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Hi Brodiebobs :)

I went AWOL for a while, but now it's largely me vs. the credit cards.

Just caught up, lovely to hear about your little one, and she appears to be much older than I remember and looks like you're making light work of the credit cards already.

In regards to savings, we too save our CB but split it 50:50 between our two. Unless the markets go wild in the next few years, it will probably only be enough for a small car, driving lessons or a couple of terms at uni, but more than both of us got :o
  • AlexLK
    AlexLK Posts: 6,125 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Sorry to hear about your colleague, Ed. Sounds like he is gone far too soon. :(

To be honest, I'm not sure retirement is all it's imagined to be. I've spent a lot of time not "working" in the sense most of us are talking about and have plenty of time consuming hobbies which I spend my free time doing. Really quite pleased to be working in the sense we're talking about at the moment. The work is interesting, challenging and gives the routine I needed in my life. Not finding it is impacting on dealing with the other work or my interests, though will likely find I have less time for cars in the summer. My parents retired well after the state retirement age and have no financial barriers to doing whatever they fancy but will help me out as and when. They hate being left out of the loop and still have interest.

Do you not have a fixed age in mind for releasing the money to your daughter, Ed? Whenever the conversation about children's finances comes up on MSE it does make me think. At the moment, I plan to buy a house for my son to live in whilst at university. He will have to pay the money back but I'm not so keen to tell him to borrow money from a bank and pay interest. What he does with the property will be up to him. This likely seems ridiculous to everyone on here but from a personal point of view paying interest to the bank is a better choice than having to listen to lectures from my parents. However, paying interest still irks me so I don't want it for my son when he is older.
    2018 totals:
    Savings £11,200
    Mortgage Overpayments £5,500
  • edinburgher
    edited 9 January 2018 at 11:43PM
    ZTD wrote: »
    Would you also feel yourself morally obliged to match losses?

Magical super bull markets also appear for other (more common) reasons.

Would you see no value in offering her a good (better than savings) but risk-free interest rate?

1. As in provide a floor for her investments? Definitely not, because a) !!!! happens and b) I don't see how I'd even calculate that - never let the amount fall below its maximum value?

2. I meant a magical super bull market on top of the one we're already experiencing! I think this bull has legs for now.

3. I think that would be unfair to her as there are no guarantees in life bar the love of your parents, death and taxes. I fully expect to see multiple recessions before she comes of age, it's part of life in our economic system. I am confident that investing is the right route.
    I too account for little one's cb separately in ynab.
    £30 a month goes into his savings account,
    £50 a month (well every 4 weeks) gets spent on things for the heat and now, swimming lessons, and shoes mostly. Some toys. At the moments I'm nearly 'a month ahead' having not spent very much over the Christmas period. I would love to save more for him, but if I did he wouldn't be able to do the things he does now.

You are putting something by for his future and that is more than most people manage, my little sister has a very similar approach, splitting money between savings and activities. Mrs E and I are very privileged and lucky to be able to afford to invest all of the CB (current credit card debt aside, which was down to our own impatience when moving house and renovating).
    Just caught up, lovely to hear about your little one, and she appears to be much older than I remember and looks like you're making light work of the credit cards already.

In regards to savings, we too save our CB but split it 50:50 between our two. Unless the markets go wild in the next few years, it will probably only be enough for a small car, driving lessons or a couple of terms at uni, but more than both of us got

Thanks Brodiebobs - DD is a star :)

I would do the same if we had 2. My little sister has had the dilemma of what to do for the younger of her children, as big brother has a head start on his pot. How did you address that, or do you have twins/children very close in age?
    To be honest, I'm not sure retirement is all it's imagined to be. I've spent a lot of time not "working" in the sense most of us are talking about and have plenty of time consuming hobbies which I spend my free time doing. Really quite pleased to be working in the sense we're talking about at the moment. The work is interesting, challenging and gives the routine I needed in my life. Not finding it is impacting on dealing with the other work or my interests, though will likely find I have less time for cars in the summer. My parents retired well after the state retirement age and have no financial barriers to doing whatever they fancy but will help me out as and when. They hate being left out of the loop and still have interest.

Do you not have a fixed age in mind for releasing the money to your daughter, Ed? Whenever the conversation about children's finances comes up on MSE it does make me think. At the moment, I plan to buy a house for my son to live in whilst at university. He will have to pay the money back but I'm not so keen to tell him to borrow money from a bank and pay interest. What he does with the property will be up to him. This likely seems ridiculous to everyone on here but from a personal point of view paying interest to the bank is a better choice than having to listen to lectures from my parents. However, paying interest still irks me so I don't want it for my son when he is older.

Thanks Alex, he will be sorely missed.

What exactly do you do these days? I'm a little confused! Are you managing properties for your parents. I ask as when I dip into your diary, you're normally pottering about on a project, planning something fun for your son and generally not talking about 'work' in the sense that most of us think of it.

If you buy a house for your son, do you not worry that you risk perpetuating the sort of relationship that your parents have with you and that you have worked so hard to break away from? I know one person whose parent bought a house for their child to rent. At every visit, the parent makes snide comments about their 'investment' and generally casts aspersions about the ability of the person's spouse to provide for their family. You could say that this is all down to the individual, but I can't see how 'buying someone a house' is a thing if they have to pay it back. Also, the way you describe it, it sounds like you'd be choosing the house. So you choose a house that you like, force him to buy it off you and expect him to be grateful? :D

I'm playing devil's advocate here Alex, but a gift with reservation is not a gift.

No fixed age for DD to get her nest egg. Various factors such as reaching the age of majority/choosing a career or education/wanting or not wanting a house/relationship status will be considered. Choosing differently to what we might like will at no point preclude her from getting the money, we just want to see what direction her life is taking before throwing her a pile of money.
  • AlexLK
    AlexLK Posts: 6,125 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Well, you've likely gathered the teaching was an absolute disaster so got out of that and around the same time Mrs. K. asked if I'd be able to help out someone she has worked with in the past which resulted in him offering me a full time position working mainly with historic / listed / old buildings which need remedial works / are being put to other uses etc. So, I actually have a "proper job" for the first time since before my son was born. :o Also managing our rental properties and bought another property which we're converting into two.

I suppose buying him a house was the wrong way to phrase it rather I should have said lending him the money to buy himself a house but at that age I'm fairly sure my wife and I would be involved to some extent or another. I'd be happy for him to choose so long as it was structurally sound. No desire to berate a future daughter-in-law based upon her family's financial situation either. No desire to give him a large sum of money (meant for setting up in life / house purchase) as I know how badly that can end as at that age I couldn't be sensible and I'm not going to gamble he will be. No desire to fund rent for property as would need to happen if nowhere was bought.

Sounds the right thing to do re. your daughter. I say that as someone who received £250,000 when I went to university. Parents didn't disclose what I was to spend the money on but weren't happy it was gone in 5 years and were bailing me out of over £60,000 of debt 2 years after that. It was meant to set me up in life, enjoy uni without having to worry and buy a decent house at the end which it would have back then. Would rather not disclose what it was spent on. Only learnt how to live to a budget after paying my own debts off. :o Not that I think your daughter or my son would be that stupid.
    2018 totals:
    Savings £11,200
    Mortgage Overpayments £5,500
  • badmemory
    badmemory Posts: 7,718 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    AlexLK wrote: »
    Not that I think your daughter or my son would be that stupid.

The reason they wouldn't is because their parents (as in both sets of) taught them the value of money, it's uses & what could go wrong. Would either of you, knowing what you know, give an 18 yr old unrestricted/undifined access to £250k? I certainly wouldn't. At least not unless I could provide that every year ad infinitum. Any parent should know this is just asking for trouble.
  • edinburgher
    AlexLK wrote: »
    Well, you've likely gathered the teaching was an absolute disaster so got out of that and around the same time Mrs. K. asked if I'd be able to help out someone she has worked with in the past which resulted in him offering me a full time position working mainly with historic / listed / old buildings which need remedial works / are being put to other uses etc. So, I actually have a "proper job" for the first time since before my son was born. :o Also managing our rental properties and bought another property which we're converting into two.

I suppose buying him a house was the wrong way to phrase it rather I should have said lending him the money to buy himself a house but at that age I'm fairly sure my wife and I would be involved to some extent or another. I'd be happy for him to choose so long as it was structurally sound. No desire to berate a future daughter-in-law based upon her family's financial situation either. No desire to give him a large sum of money (meant for setting up in life / house purchase) as I know how badly that can end as at that age I couldn't be sensible and I'm not going to gamble he will be. No desire to fund rent for property as would need to happen if nowhere was bought.

Sounds the right thing to do re. your daughter. I say that as someone who received £250,000 when I went to university. Parents didn't disclose what I was to spend the money on but weren't happy it was gone in 5 years and were bailing me out of over £60,000 of debt 2 years after that. It was meant to set me up in life, enjoy uni without having to worry and buy a decent house at the end which it would have back then. Would rather not disclose what it was spent on. Only learnt how to live to a budget after paying my own debts off. :o Not that I think your daughter or my son would be that stupid.

The job sounds great Alex - you're working with something that you are obviously passionate about - there is no shame that teaching wasn't for you. I think you have taken the best bits of your parents' obvious desire to create a human legacy and combined that with the obvious importance that you attach to our historical 'legacy' to pick up a career that you could be very happy with :T Do you think that teaching was perhaps something you felt that you 'had' to do in an attempt to 'give something back'? Because everyone contributes differently :)

Ps. Buying a house might avoid paying interest to a bank, but there's an opportunity cost to tying up a large sum of capital in the property that could potentially be invested more profitably elsewhere. So unless you find a property that is a great investment (for example, one that you renovate with sweat equity), you may just be trading one cost for another ;)
    badmemory wrote: »
    The reason they wouldn't is because their parents (as in both sets of) taught them the value of money, it's uses & what could go wrong. Would either of you, knowing what you know, give an 18 yr old unrestricted/undifined access to £250k? I certainly wouldn't. At least not unless I could provide that every year ad infinitum. Any parent should know this is just asking for trouble.

I wouldn't! It's also worth remembering (sorry Alex), that this was quite a while ago, it would probably be a lot more than £250k now :eek:
  • edinburgher
    A princely £0.71 paid off a CC.

I picked up more Amazon vouchers last night and ended up in the unique position of hitting the maximum possible points in a month (100,000). Was up until 11 adding the vouchers to my account :rotfl:

We spend roughly £1k a year with them, so will pick up more if Mrs E can get a temporary card. It's a bit surreal spending so much at once, but it's basically a 6.25% discount on Amazon which is the seller who gets most of our money after supermarkets and don't typically offer % off. We'll have to withdraw money from 3% and 5% savings accounts to pay for them, but I'm ok with that as the discount was worth more than the interest.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback