Vibrating plates in the gym

Of course the fitness instructors and the gym owners will tell you they work wonders but i can't help but feel dubious about them. Recently signed up to the gym and there's one of these things there and it just brings me images of those belts that you wear that shock your muscles and give you a 6 pack while you eat cake all day or going even further back in time the treadmill like things with the belt that vibrates and wobbles your belly fat to "melt it away".

Hopefully you know the plates i'm referring to. I can google images an image if it helps but really are these things worth anything or are they just one big con?

Comments

• EdSwippet
    EdSwippet Posts: 1,588 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    AquaGirl wrote: »
    ... but really are these things worth anything or are they just one big con?
    Worthwhile if used correctly -- that is, actually exercising on one! -- and a waste of time if not. From a University of Antwerp study:
    "These are very encouraging results, but it doesn't mean people trying to lose weight can ditch aerobic exercise and jump on the vibration plate instead. They still need a healthy diet and aerobic exercise, but this could be a viable alternative to weight lifting," Vissers said, explaining that the plate works by making muscles rapidly contract, which builds lean muscle mass.

"People say vibration machines are fitness for lazy people. It may feel like a short cut, but if it's easy, you are not doing it properly," he added. "Supervision in the beginning is imperative and the longer the better. What we see in gyms very often - people just standing on the machine holding the handles - is not going to do anything."
  • jeradon
    jeradon Posts: 89 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Whatever gym equipment you use, you need to watch your calories intake in order for you to achieve your fitness goal.
  • It all comes down to how you use it really, stand still in an upright position and you'll get little benefit. Try holding a pose or squatting and its a pretty good machine for toning. I find it actually relaxes my muscles after a workout!
  • Total waste of time. They will not build muscle or reduce body fat. There might be limited core stability gains but nothing significant. All they really achieve is vibrating the floor and thus irritating the rest of us the are trying to have a constructive workout.
  • Nick_C
    Nick_C Posts: 7,455 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Home Insurance Hacker!
    My physio gave me some exercises to do on the power plates to recover from tendonitis. It really helped.
  • Katapolt
    Katapolt Posts: 291 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    They're brilliant for stretching, massaging muscles instead of foam rolling, that kind of thing. Their effectiveness for general exercises i think is still a bit up in the air, but it does all depend on your goals.
  • Not good at all....was working on one with a so called personal trainer was working on lunges off the plate Snapped my Achilles tendon horrendous and excruciating when it happened....
  • Ballie12 wrote: »
    Not good at all....was working on one with a so called personal trainer was working on lunges off the plate Snapped my Achilles tendon horrendous and excruciating when it happened....

As much as I hate powerplates, I dont think they can be blamed for your injury.

If your tendon was going to go pop, it could have gone doing regular lunges.
  • DigForVictory
    DigForVictory Posts: 11,905 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    I've seen one in use & it was a potent motivational tool - as in I do not want to look like *that*.

I'm not a fan of how I look wielding a skipping rope but my cardio stats look brilliant! I think it's mostly a "what do you really want to achieve" question & if a clear view of where the wibbly bits are, the powerplate & a mirror are pretty clear.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure