Gift for a woman you don't know well?

I'm buying gifts for a family. I know the dad well and I'm picking up a little something for the baby, but I have absolutely no idea what to get for the mum. I've met her a few times but we have very little in common so conversation is always superficial. I know she's "really girly" but that's it.

I don't have a lot to spend. I am planning on including a little treat hamper of foods 'to share', but I still want to put in something just for her so that she doesn't feel forgotten about. I'd rather not do bath products because I already did that in the 'congrats for the baby' gift. I have a personal aversion to candles because to me they scream "I know nothing about you but wanted to get you something". I am totally uninspired though.

If anyone has any thoughts on what to get a mum of a kid that's still in the < 1 year range, I'd really appreciate hearing them.

Thanks!
DFW Nerd No. 140 :)
Status as of 30/11/12
[strike]Rent 2500 Council Tax 800 NlPower - 800[/strike][SIZE=-2]:j IF - 8000 :(British Gas - [strike]112[/strike] - 102 Lloyds - 1123
Barclays - 306 Barclaycard 1,123 HSBC - 200 Capital 1- 400 Barclayloan - 4500[/SIZE]

Comments

• What's the budget?

Maybe a little manicure set and some nail polishes .
    £2 Savers Club for 2022 #12
  • saubryn
    saubryn Posts: 610 Forumite
    edited 18 December 2017 at 2:19PM
    That's a nice idea! Thanks. I was looking to spend around £25. A bit more is OK, but it gives you an idea. My husband said "Didn't you help [friend] shop for her birthday once, get her something to go with that..." - er, yeah, he bought her designer jewelry and that's a bit out of my price range :D
    Status as of 30/11/12
    [strike]Rent 2500 Council Tax 800 NlPower - 800[/strike][SIZE=-2]:j IF - 8000 :(British Gas - [strike]112[/strike] - 102 Lloyds - 1123
    Barclays - 306 Barclaycard 1,123 HSBC - 200 Capital 1- 400 Barclayloan - 4500[/SIZE]
  • What's the budget?

Maybe a little manicure set and some nail polishes .

As a new mum, her hands are probably in water a lot as well. I always give handcream as this is often welcomed. You can buy some decent quality handcreams for a low price. If you can get a large size for home, plus a handbag size for mum to carry when she's out, so much the better.

Or you could buy a voucher for a local beauty salon, so that she can choose a manicure, facial, or massage.
  • why not use the hamper as a joint present. Just out of interest, why are buying a present for someone you barely know? Are they relatives?
    weight loss target 23lbs/49lb
  • UKTigerlily
    UKTigerlily Posts: 4,702 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    No idea what her being a Mum has to do with anything, aren't you buying for her as a person not as a Mum?

Zoella's hot water bottle/eye mask set? Asda's fluffy pyjama's?
  • rach_k
    rach_k Posts: 2,236 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    The Boots 3 for 2 range is usually quite good for people you don't really know, or something like a Burt's Bees set (they do nice make-up as well as bath stuff) or Green People. I suppose those things are all gifts that say 'I don't know you very well' but you don't know her very well so why pretend otherwise? They're all stuff with good general appeal and I'd still be pleased to receive them.
  • saubryn
    saubryn Posts: 610 Forumite
    why not use the hamper as a joint present. Just out of interest, why are buying a present for someone you barely know? Are they relatives?

I'm close friends with the husband. Before he was married I would buy for him and him only. This year, he's married and has a kid. I feel like it would be wrong to buy for him and the baby but then leave the wife out.
    No idea what her being a Mum has to do with anything, aren't you buying for her as a person not as a Mum?

Zoella's hot water bottle/eye mask set? Asda's fluffy pyjama's?

Thanks for the suggestions! The reason I have latched on to the 'mum' thing is that I don't know her well at all. We see each other in passing once every few months but conversation is usually superficial. I care about the family though. I don't have kids myself, and I was under the impression that the first few months were a period where you were run ragged looking after the baby, so I was hoping there was some "I really wish I had had..." thing that I was unaware of.
    rach_k wrote: »
    The Boots 3 for 2 range is usually quite good for people you don't really know, or something like a Burt's Bees set (they do nice make-up as well as bath stuff) or Green People. I suppose those things are all gifts that say 'I don't know you very well' but you don't know her very well so why pretend otherwise? They're all stuff with good general appeal and I'd still be pleased to receive them.

Thanks for the ideas. I'll definitely take a look at those. Burt's Bees look really awesome actually!
    Status as of 30/11/12
  • Ask your friend what you should buy his wife?
  • cte1111
    cte1111 Posts: 7,390 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    A nice notebook from Paperchase or similar.
  • A candle would be perfect - precisely because you know nothing about her!!

Or what about some Prosecco? Chocolates? Flowers? These gifts are cliches for a reason - no-one's going to find them objectionable. Don't overthink it.
    No longer a spouse, or trailing, but MSE won't allow me to change my username...
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure