PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Currently renting with a "security light" used to light the entire street

Hi everybody,

I'm just looking for some advice. 4 years ago me and my partner moved into a private rented new build. It's a small enclosed plot of 6-7 houses. The street has no council street lights and is lit purely by a flood light which is attached to the front of my house. Being daft I never thought to question this light until a neighbour mentioned it in passing. After a look around I found a switch deep in our loft labelled "LED Light". So this light is connected to my power supply and I can actually turn it off. The question I want to ask is should I be paying for this? I could understand if it was a security light used only to light my back garden (we have no front, just a driveway) but it isnt. It's a light presumeable put in to light the entire street. No other houses have these lights on but given it's position it's purpose is clearly to light the whole street. After asking a friend for some advice about the light and using a calculation tool based on roughly what watt we believe the light to be, our rate/kwh and how long it is on we've estimated it costs about 60-70p a night to run (which builds up over 4 years).

Is this something worth mentioning to the landlord and does any idea what the outcome might be?

Sorry for such a lengthy post over a pretty trivial matter but any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Comments

• What wattage do you think it is? If it's really an LED I doubt the cost is that high.
  • glasgowdan
    glasgowdan Posts: 2,967 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Switch it off and enjoy the night skies.
  • G_M
    G_M Posts: 51,977 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Do you want the street lit?

If yes, leave the light switched on and pay the bill.

If not, turn it off.
  • stator
    stator Posts: 7,441 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    If the tenancy agreement says nothing about it then turn it off.
    Changing the world, one sarcastic comment at a time.
  • Marvel1
    Marvel1 Posts: 7,171 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    stator wrote: »
    If the tenancy agreement says nothing about it then turn it off.

This, and if others in the street moan and want it, they can chip in.
  • Davesnave
    Davesnave Posts: 34,741 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    I don't think over £700 in extra electricity charges is 'trivial,' so I'd switch it off, unless my agreement said it was a condition of tenure.

It's a new group of houses, so I'm willing to bet others have their own automatic entrance lighting, or if they haven't, they'll be getting it installed pretty soon!
  • moneyistooshorttomention
    moneyistooshorttomention Posts: 17,940 Forumite
    edited 22 January 2018 at 8:18AM
    The Council should supply the lighting for the street. Whether they do or no is sometimes another matter of course:cool:

It is odd to have the control for something electrical buried in the loft - but that doesnt mean that switch is sort of "street property" - rather than yours. I've found I've got something electrical "buried in my loft" for some strange reason:mad: (but to do with some duff tradesperson or DIY bodger or other - rather than a "has to be separate because its not mine" situation) - but it's controlling something in my own house.

I'd switch it off too. Mind you - I'd have probably switched it off long ago in order not to have outside light that I didn't want (as I presume it's on all night - and coming through the windows of your house?).
  • Marvel1
    Marvel1 Posts: 7,171 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    I wonder if the landlord has some sort of cashback for this and has not passed onto you :think:
  • Robin9
    Robin9 Posts: 12,091 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    The Council should supply the lighting for the street. Whether they do or no is sometimes another matter of course.

They wont provide lighting if the road has not been adopted. Even they might not.

I agree switch it off.
    Never pay on an estimated bill
  • AnotherJoe
    AnotherJoe Posts: 19,622 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Another vote for "switch it off"
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income