Currys refund policyDear Anna Timms Thank you for taking the time to peruse my query

Hello if anyone can help me to understand Currys refund policy, I'll be very grateful.

I chose Currys to purchase my laptop, because it was situated in my local community, partly for peace of mind and to support local infrastructure as opposed to just buying off the internet.

I bought the Dell Inspiron (17.01.18) after a lengthy conversation with one of the customer services team, explaining my needs. It was quite noisy in the shop as they had running music and videos.

The customer services agent advised me to purchase the McAffe protection which I bought in good faith.

I picked up the machine on 18.01.18 the next day.

I took it home and switched it on. I was disappointed to note that the machine makes a constant low level noise consistently, which is not compatible for my work needs and was not discernible in the shop possibly due to the music.

I put it all back in the original packing, pristine.

When I took it back to the store I was told because it was opened that it was not refundable, it had been used. Please bear in mind it was in my possession for about 24 hours. Taken back 19.01.18.

When I purchased the machine I was not informed that all machines make a low level fan noise, or that once opened out of the box it was non refundable.

Upon purchase I was strongly advised to purchase the McAffe protection and monthly protection plan.
When I took it back to the store I went to two branches, Currys stated because the McAffe had been installed, (by them and paid for by me), it was a used and opened item and no longer refundable.

As a consumer I am used to being able to take back an item within the refund time be it 14, 28, 30 day limit, with a receipt.

I received the same response from customer service.

In the shop the Manager stated there was nothing wrong with the machine and if I wanted him to send it back to Dell it would cost me £149.

Needless to say they have lost a customer.

Please could you let me know if I can take this further and be able to receive a refund?

During my conversation with the sales team at no time was it mentioned that all machines make this noise. It was not mentioned that I was not entitled to a refund or exchange within 21 days. Generally speaking when I Purchase items from other stores they usually state you have 14, 28, 30 days for a refund.

I bought this computer in good faith.

I would appreciate any guidance that you could offer in this matter.

Many thanks R :(

Sent from Yahoo Mail for iPad

Comments

• bris
    bris Posts: 10,548 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    edited 20 January 2018 at 6:10PM
    You have no rights to a refund when purchasing in store. The refund rights are if you change your mind but don't open it, it's clearly worded.

You seen one running, music playing in the background is a poor excuse, you can easily put your ear to it if noise was an important issue to you.

All laptops make some noise, the fan is needed to keep it cool, that's what you hear.
  • Lomast
    Lomast Posts: 848 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Unfortunately for goods purchased in stores there is no automatic right to return goods unless faulty.
    I agree with vvurrys though that all computers make some noise as they all have fans that are needed to run to keep the machine cool, some are quieter than others but usually its high end machines that are the quietest.
  • unholyangel
    unholyangel Posts: 16,863 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Its not uncommon for laptops to be more noisy when first used because its under a heavy load - theres usually months (potentially years) of updates for it to perform which places a greater strain on the components which in turn means the fan needs to work harder to keep it cool. Are you sure that isn't the case here?

In future, I'd advise never buy a dell and never buy mcafee (there may be people savvy with computers who would recommend them, but I've yet to encounter one of those people).
    You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means - Inigo Montoya, The Princess Bride
  • Upon purchase I was strongly advised to purchase the McAffe protection and monthly protection plan.
    That would be because the store probably made far more profit from those two extras than they did from the sale of the laptop itself.
  • RichardD1970
    RichardD1970 Posts: 3,795 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    In future, I'd advise never buy a dell and never buy mcafee (there may be people savvy with computers who would recommend them, but I've yet to encounter one of those people).

I would add Currys/PC world to that.

(I admit I have used them in the past but only when I knew exactly what I wanted and would in no way be persuaded to buy any of the "essential" extras that I would "need" :rotfl:)
  • LilElvis
    LilElvis Posts: 5,835 Forumite
    Its not uncommon for laptops to be more noisy when first used because its under a heavy load - theres usually months (potentially years) of updates for it to perform which places a greater strain on the components which in turn means the fan needs to work harder to keep it cool. Are you sure that isn't the case here?

My Dad's just ordered a Dell tower (again - probably at least his 4th) and he's spending an eye-watering £2k. Some other old duffer at his photographic club told him that it's what he really needs. All he really uses it for is photo-editing for Pete's sake! I tried arguing but he went sulky on me - just like he did when I questioned why on earth he had bought a Chromebook last summer. That was so he could browse the internet, check his email and look at TripAdvisor when he was on holiday ....... totally ignoring the tablet I bought him for precisely that use 2 years before which has been opened maybe twice. And he bought the Chromebook from PC World, despite my warnings and mailing him links to the numerous threads on this site showing their rubbish customer service and ignorance of consumer rights. At least he won't be complaining about a noisy fan as he's quite deaf and suffers from severe tinnitus :p
  • DCFC79
    DCFC79 Posts: 40,598 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    LilElvis wrote: »
    My Dad's just ordered a Dell tower (again - probably at least his 4th) and he's spending an eye-watering £2k. Some other old duffer at his photographic club told him that it's what he really needs. All he really uses it for is photo-editing for Pete's sake! I tried arguing but he went sulky on me - just like he did when I questioned why on earth he had bought a Chromebook last summer. That was so he could browse the internet, check his email and look at TripAdvisor when he was on holiday ....... totally ignoring the tablet I bought him for precisely that use 2 years before which has been opened maybe twice. And he bought the Chromebook from PC World, despite my warnings and mailing him links to the numerous threads on this site showing their rubbish customer service and ignorance of consumer rights. At least he won't be complaining about a noisy fan as he's quite deaf and suffers from severe tinnitus :p

Its annoying but parents can be like that, I commend you for trying to persuade him.
  • LilElvis
    LilElvis Posts: 5,835 Forumite
    DCFC79 wrote: »
    Its annoying but parents can be like that, I commend you for trying to persuade him.

The man knows his own mind and his "little girl" (I'm 50!) certainly won't change it! A couple of years ago, when he was 77/78, I tried to persuade him to at least test drive a less powerful car when he was looking at buying a new one. Wasn't going to happen and he bought himself another Golf Gti :rotfl:
  • tenchy
    tenchy Posts: 486 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary

I got a Dell Inspiron tower a few days ago. It's advertised by PC world as "quiet", but it isn't. The fan is noisier than I've found on other machines, and the constant disk activity makes it sound like someone with a rumbling stomach is sitting next you. Perhaps by "quiet" they meant it hasn't got a speaker, not even a basic one, which I admit I hadn't spotted in the spec. The CD/DVD drive is very flimsy. Overall, I'm not impressed and I wouldn't recommend the model. I had considered taking it back until I saw the T&C on the receipt which effectively means you can't do so. Try and persuade your Dad to think again.
  • adonis
    adonis Posts: 1,072 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    The man knows his own mind and his "little girl" (I'm 50!) certainly won't change it! A couple of years ago, when he was 77/78, I tried to persuade him to at least test drive a less powerful car when he was looking at buying a new one. Wasn't going to happen and he bought himself another Golf Gti :rotfl:

I hope he has put you on the insurance so at least you can have some fun with it. :)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure