The 20%

Options
It looks like I’m one of the exclusive 20% club. A random payment to my account indicates that I’ve been awarded standard daily living during a mandatory reconsideration. Thank you everyone who supported me on the journey, until next time.

Comments

• Ames
    Ames Posts: 18,459 Forumite
    Options
    Pleased to hear that, although it's ridiculous that you had to go to MR at all.

Anyone who says the system works and that everyone should be assessed regularly (I've seen every 6 months suggested) should read your experiences.

Hopefully you've got a long award.
    Unless I say otherwise 'you' means the general you not you specifically.
  • GlasweJen
    GlasweJen Posts: 7,451 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Ames wrote: »
    Pleased to hear that, although it's ridiculous that you had to go to MR at all.

Anyone who says the system works and that everyone should be assessed regularly (I've seen every 6 months suggested) should read your experiences.

Hopefully you've got a long award.

Doubt it, the initial enhanced mobility award was for 3 years. It’s frustrating as my sisters fairly well controlled bipolar disorder managed to get her a 10 year double enhanced award which is just crazy, she doesn’t have anything like the life I have
  • teddysmum
    teddysmum Posts: 9,471 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I can't remember where I read about it, but apparently the people dealing with disability payments admitted that, due to huge backlogs, did put a lot of applications through 'on the nod' ,so it's likely that there are some who were historically given a better award than they would have achieved through the normal process.
  • GlasweJen
    Options
    teddysmum wrote: »
    I can't remember where I read about it, but apparently the people dealing with disability payments admitted that, due to huge backlogs, did put a lot of applications through 'on the nod' ,so it's likely that there are some who were historically given a better award than they would have achieved through the normal process.

She transitioned from DLA to PIP in summer and this was a PIP renewal in August. I just feel like physical disabilities are being chucked aside as we can overcome everything with “aids and adaptions” but mental health is untouchable. For the record my sister has never attempted suicide or been imprisoned or gambled away thousands like people with severe bipolar disorder have. She doesn’t even take medication for her bipolar, quite frankly I think her GP was a bit over enthusiastic when diagnosing her but that’s another story.
  • Ames
    Ames Posts: 18,459 Forumite
    Options
    GlasweJen wrote: »
    She transitioned from DLA to PIP in summer and this was a PIP renewal in August. I just feel like physical disabilities are being chucked aside as we can overcome everything with “aids and adaptions” but mental health is untouchable. For the record my sister has never attempted suicide or been imprisoned or gambled away thousands like people with severe bipolar disorder have. She doesn’t even take medication for her bipolar, quite frankly I think her GP was a bit over enthusiastic when diagnosing her but that’s another story.

:eek:Her GP diagnosed her? How is that even possible? I have Bipolar and it's been diagnosed/the diagnosis confirmed by many psychiatrists over the years, usually following a suicide attempt or other reason for hospital intervention.

Ignoring the benefits issue a GP should not be giving someone a label that can have serious consequences for the rest of their life. There was a thread elsewhere on the board recently about someone with a personality disorder diagnosis and the impact it's had on her life.

I'm really shocked.
    Unless I say otherwise 'you' means the general you not you specifically.
  • teddysmum
    teddysmum Posts: 9,471 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Mental illness must be one of the easiest ailments to fake, as there is usually no physical proof for diagnosis.

It amazes me that so many can falsely get away with a claim of back problems which prevent them (longterm) from functioning properly, as an MRI shows great detail.

There was a group of 'back sufferers' on a tv programme that said it regularly told others that faking was easy because doctors couldn't prove you wrong. What can they claim causes the problem if bone, nerve or blood vessel damages show up clearly.
  • GlasweJen
    Options
    Ames wrote: »
    :eek:Her GP diagnosed her? How is that even possible? I have Bipolar and it's been diagnosed/the diagnosis confirmed by many psychiatrists over the years, usually following a suicide attempt or other reason for hospital intervention.

Ignoring the benefits issue a GP should not be giving someone a label that can have serious consequences for the rest of their life. There was a thread elsewhere on the board recently about someone with a personality disorder diagnosis and the impact it's had on her life.

I'm really shocked.

She’s never been in front of a psychiatrist in her life, she has no hospital appointments at all. My sister gets double enhanced and manages to fly all over the UK and mainland Europe every weekend to accompany her child who competes in sport. Making her own way to the airport, navigating around foreign countries, taking care of her own and her child’s needs abroad, the whole thing is a farce.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    GlasweJen wrote: »
    She’s never been in front of a psychiatrist in her life, she has no hospital appointments at all. My sister gets double enhanced and manages to fly all over the UK and mainland Europe every weekend to accompany her child who competes in sport. Making her own way to the airport, navigating around foreign countries, taking care of her own and her child’s needs abroad, the whole thing is a farce.

So she’s lying on her claim form?
  • GlasweJen
    Options
    _shel wrote: »
    So she’s lying on her claim form?

I’ve never seen her claim form so I wouldn’t know but she did say that the nurse at her assessment had a brother with bipolar and she was very sympathetic and her assessment only lasted 20 minutes.
  • beanielou
    beanielou Posts: 90,268 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    Options
    Good result for you :)
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    ***Keep plodding*** Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    One debt remaining. Home improvement loan.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure