DMP - Zero interest challenge

Options
I have a substantial debt and am currently trying to sort out a self-managed DMP. I have an Egg loan and they have agreed my reduced payment but are carrying on charging interest (7.7% as it happens).

Has anyone managed to get all interest frozen?

I have managed to get most of my credit card debt frozen but am struggling to get much response at all with my loans and am wondering whether zero interest is an attainable goal.

Thanks very much for any help/advice.

ZD
Debt free - achieved Jan 2021

Mortgage free wannabe - started 15/10/21

"No man is a failure who has friends"

Comments

• tesuhoha
    tesuhoha Posts: 17,971 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    Ive got zero interest on my ccs but it has been achieved by tarting, applying for 0% cards. I have just taken out 3 new cards at 0% and our total debt of £15,995 has been transferred to it.
    The forest would be very silent if no birds sang except for the birds that sang the best

• Zulu_Dawn
    Zulu_Dawn Posts: 282 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Sadly my tarting days are over as I have now destroyed my credit rating through making reduced payments.

Watch out tesuhoha - it's a dangerous game.

• livinginhope
    livinginhope Posts: 1,897 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    All my creditors stopped charging interest at the start and also have dropped charges,I am on a DMP with Payplan.
    Good luck with your DMP!
    Debt at highest £102k :eek:
    Lightbulb moment march 2006
    Debt free october2017 :j
    Finally sleeping easy in my bed :A
  • tesuhoha
    tesuhoha Posts: 17,971 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    Zulu_Dawn wrote:
    Sadly my tarting days are over as I have now destroyed my credit rating through making reduced payments.

Watch out tesuhoha - it's a dangerous game.

Welll the 0% is helping me to pay off my debt which 1) will improve my credit rating and 2) i intend not to borrow again so my credit rating doesnt bother me, short term. Im closing the accounts as I go so hopefully it wont affect me too badly. Live now and pay later is my motto when it comes to tarting.
    The forest would be very silent if no birds sang except for the birds that sang the best

• southernscouser
    southernscouser Posts: 33,745 Forumite
    Options
    Zulu_Dawn wrote:
    I have a substantial debt and am currently trying to sort out a self-managed DMP. I have an Egg loan and they have agreed my reduced payment but are carrying on charging interest (7.7% as it happens).

Has anyone managed to get all interest frozen?

I have managed to get most of my credit card debt frozen but am struggling to get much response at all with my loans and am wondering whether zero interest is an attainable goal.

Thanks very much for any help/advice.

ZD

Have you thought of asking advice from the CCCS how you might be able to get interest stopped?

Perhaps you could slip bankruptcy in to the conversation with Egg! ;)
  • Janey51
    Janey51 Posts: 1,195 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    We are with CCCS and they managed to get interest frozen on all our loans and CCs within a month.
  • Zulu_Dawn
    Options
    Hi Janey51.

Wow that is fantastic. Do you mind me asking for a bit more information re debt providers and values.

I've managed to get Egg today to agree to freeze interest but am still struggling with part of MBNA and also LVBS.

• milliejon
    milliejon Posts: 1,052 Forumite
    Options
    Hi Zulu Dawn. I'm managing my own DMP and have done for nearly 2 years now. I've got all my interest and charges frozen except my two loans which included the total interest on the debt at the beginning (fixed rate I think it's called). I don't have any monthly charges or interest added on to any of my 11 debts.

It did take over 6 months to get this fixed, and I send in a review every time my circumstances change or every 6 months (whichever comes first).

Best of luck with your DMP.
    DMP mutual support number 174
    Total debt now (April 10) £0! - total paid off £30,221 or 100%
    I'm now debt free after 6 years!!:j
    Non smoker since June 2006 :j
  • Zulu_Dawn
    Options
    Wonderful news. I've got MBNA to freeze interest for 12m. The amount they want is higher than I hoped (£120 pm when I offered £42) but as the interest only was costing me £128 per month, I call this a result. They went through my SOA and eliminated everything that was not 100% predictable (car servicing and costs, house maintenance expenses, cash, subscriptions, gifts, charitable donations etc.)

I've just got to get through to LVBS and then contact the low interest cards I've been ignoring.

BTW millijohn. Did you keep access to any credit or savings for emergencies? I worked out I had £1000 per month available and am now up to £1,300 in monthly repayments, through various adjustments I've given to keep things more friendly or without interest!

I should be OK as I built some slack in but it's getting hairy.

ZD

• milliejon
    milliejon Posts: 1,052 Forumite
    Options
    I don't have a pot of money for emergencies or birthdays etc. Neither do I have money each month for hair cuts etc. What I do have is a rather generous clothing allowance (based on that suggested by the National Debtline). This is usually enough to put aside and use for everything other than living costs like rent, food, utility bills etc.
    DMP mutual support number 174
    Total debt now (April 10) £0! - total paid off £30,221 or 100%
    I'm now debt free after 6 years!!:j
    Non smoker since June 2006 :j
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business