PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Old Stylee window cleaning - ideas please!

Options

Comments

• exlibris
    exlibris Posts: 696 Forumite
    Options
    Have just started to go the Ecover route, toilet cleaner and washing up liquid so far.
    Will this work as well as the "hands soft as your face" stuff?
  • Skint1
    Skint1 Posts: 1,362 Forumite
    Options
    I was a Window Cleaner for more than 20 years . My advice is to visit a Janitorial suplies store and buy a set of window cleaning tools about £20.00 should cover it and practice it,s not that hard to do. It might seem like a big outlay of money but after this you would only to pay to relace the rubber blade £1 a year at most
    You can always get more with a kind word and a 2-by-4 than with just a kind word.
  • jimmy_2-2
    Options
    Chris25 wrote:
    I wash with hand hot water with a small squirt of washing-up liquid. Then I rinse with a mix of hand hot water and white vinegar and use an e cloth. It's a lot of work but I look at it as valuable exercise.:D

I know a lot of people swear by using newspaper to dry off with because of the ink but I don't think many papers use that now.

Dont worry...most newspapers still use ink ;-)

The answer is not to use the new type of papers that use coloured inks as it is not quite so effective but it does still work.

I have and still do my car windows with a damp cloth and then dry it immediatly with scrunched up newspaper, its gets better the more moist the newspaper gets.

You simply do not get smears with newspaper, no need for detergents. Its great. Quite hard work though
  • fairylights_2
    Options
    I decant a bottle of FLAT club soda (the one you get near the tonic water) into a spray bottle. Spray it on, rub with a (clean) terry nappy or towel. Sparkling every time, and a 32p bottle lasts for MONTHS!
    Official DFW Nerd Club - Member no. 002 :rotfl:
  • renegade
    renegade Posts: 1,282 Forumite
    Options
    I have always used windowlene as did my old mum bless her, but now I have doublw glazed windows and the glass is different , although I use the same method, put on wipe off whilst still damp ( dont let it dry out) I now get smears, this is most annoying as my main windows face south and the sun shows up every smudge (no nets in my house).I too have over the years tried all the new fangled paraphanallia to no avail, so I will continue with my windowlene and try not to blame it on my window cleaner for not cleaning the outsides properly lol
    You live..You learn.:)
  • Simba_25
    Simba_25 Posts: 329 Forumite
    Options
    you mean we are supposed to actually wash windows :rolleyes:
  • simonm_3
    Options
    only one mention of a squeegee - yet anybody who doesn't use one of these has more free time than sense, its the only way to do it! (readily available at 'janitorial supply' shops).
    Also, I use cold water with a capful of household ammonia (Boots), its a dangerous chemical so don't go this route unless your kids are a sensible age, but its the only household chemical cleaner I use (always diluted heavily) and so I save huge amounts on commercial cleaners.
  • Daisy
    Daisy Posts: 156 Forumite
    Options
    I use microfibre cloths too but I use one I bought from Aldi for about 70p. I've had it for about 6 months and it's still going strong. I just squirt the window with a teeny amount of water and then wipe. It leaves no smears and the glass sparkles. I wouldn't have believed it had I not done it myself and it only takes a minute or two. I also clean the rest of the house with it. You can't wash it in fabric softener though but I'm sure everyone on here uses white vinegar in their wash anyway. :D
  • Chipps
    Chipps Posts: 1,550 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I use the squeegee & washing up liquid method - I think it was recommended by Don Aslett in his book "Is there life after housework?"
    I have watched professional windowcleaners doing the zigzag thing that First Class Male suggested, but when I tried it it didn't get all the window clean - you could see the 'turning corners'. So I go once across the top of the glass horizontally, then pull the squeegee down vertically until the whole window is clean. It may not be quite as quick as the experts, but works better for me
  • Devon_Home_Girl
    Options
    Daisy wrote:
    I use microfibre cloths too but I use one I bought from Aldi for about 70p. I've had it for about 6 months and it's still going strong. I just squirt the window with a teeny amount of water and then wipe. It leaves no smears and the glass sparkles. I wouldn't have believed it had I not done it myself and it only takes a minute or two. I also clean the rest of the house with it. You can't wash it in fabric softener though but I'm sure everyone on here uses white vinegar in their wash anyway. :D

I'm a great fan of microfibre cloths - best thing ever! But I feel I'm missing out, as I don't know about the white vinegar in the wash??? More info please!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure