Top 10 service companies to haggle with

Options

Comments

• higgim
    higgim Posts: 1 Newbie
    edited 6 January 2015 at 8:15PM
    Options
    We have been a customer with Sky for 13 years and already have family pack and movies at half price for 12 months and our half price line rental and fibre unlimited was coming to an end. Saw a great deal with BT (40MB Fibre and unlimited downloads £18.50 and line rental cost on top) along with the £125 shopping voucher and £120 cash back I called for a MAC code.

Offered by Sky (and accepted) Sky Fibre unlimited for £5 a month for next 12 months and a one off credit of £60. (in effect free fibre for a year) and still have 6 months half price line rental to run :)
  • PRWBrighton
    Options
    Thanks MSE, I just saved £140 with one phone call. My Plusnet contract was increasing by £7.49 pm, I negotiated my original deal again(line rental + £2.50pm broadband) and £50 cash back. They were also willing to match any other deal currently on the internet, so your list of the best deals gave me good bargaining power. They initially wanted to make it an 18 mth contract but readily reduced it to 12 when I asked.
  • Yogibear
    Yogibear Posts: 459 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I was with O2 old house Sky gave me free line rental for a year charged £7.50 BB new house,contract finished yesterday it jumped to £32ish,I rang today after a lot of blathering I said EE were £161 if I paid upfront Sky was £196 lady said she would give me £35 credit matching the EE price I asked about the £50 voucher with EE she said I wouldn't get it,obviously I said she wanted me to say aye right away I declined she is ringing Monday will I get this down a bit more,would like your opinions troops:D
    please do not pick on me for my grammar,I left school at fifteen and worked in the building trade for 55years ,

Chalk and slate csc:D
  • Torry_Loon
    Options
    Well just got a good deal with talktalk. Started off with tiscali almost 10 years ago then TT took them over. Had been thinking about jumping ship to BT so did some checking on TT site.
    So a nice lady phoned me this afternoon from TT offering a deal. So I wound her up a bit, politely of course, saying thinking of BT? The deal was broadband £1·75 pm, £7·50 for unlimited calls pm, £8·35 line rental and £100 credit to pay the cancellation charges from the BT line rental contract. So £17·60 for broadband, line rental and calls. I think its a good deal so took it. And a new router as well.
  • teddysmum
    teddysmum Posts: 9,471 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Yogibear wrote: »
    I was with O2 old house Sky gave me free line rental for a year charged £7.50 BB new house,contract finished yesterday it jumped to £32ish,I rang today after a lot of blathering I said EE were £161 if I paid upfront Sky was £196 lady said she would give me £35 credit matching the EE price I asked about the £50 voucher with EE she said I wouldn't get it,obviously I said she wanted me to say aye right away I declined she is ringing Monday will I get this down a bit more,would like your opinions troops:D
    I doubt they will call, as I had an arrangement to be called in a couple of hours' time, but they didn't bother.

However, it suited me, as I had an excuse to call them and say that the deal wasn't good enough.
  • Shamine
    Options
    Virgin media. Previously £55pm £60+ in feb. 30mb broadband, land-line free weekend calls and xl tv. :eek:

I called to explain that our phone-line was more of a chore than a benefit as i spent most of my time answering it to PPI chumps and the like. Having hidden the tivo boxes under the stairs over Christmas and the kids not having a melt down I decided that we no longer needed the XL tv package as free-view, android boxes and chrome-cast were sufficient. The VM rep said that they didn't do Broadband on its own. I hung up and called back to find they actually did. The rep said it would be £21.50 for 50mb and £26 for 100mb (no phone or tv package) Told them I would call back after thinking about it.

I rang back to take the offer and was told it didnt exist. Hung up called back a few times to find it did exist and changed it straight away to 100mb with a cut off date of the phone and tv in a months time. Some days before the cut off date I got a call from their reps saying "Your going to be cut off do you have any questions", i told em no and if i had I'd have called them but as you clearly want to talk to me then go ahead......fill your boots..........:rotfl: He proceeded to tell me how to avoid the annoying calls by having caller id (GOT), TPS (GOT) he finally suggested just monitoring the calls and only answering the ones i knew. I told him that id not have answered his call if that had been my tactic of handling the problem, no response. He then began to offer me different packages all costing more than what i was on but including phone-line. I told the rep I was pretty sick of the whole game and knew that they had a deal of £15.99 (ex vat) for phone and BB as my mother had recently negotiated a deal and didn't understand why he was calling me as some sort of last ditch attempt to retain custom with deals effectively costing me more. He quickly offered me the same deal for 12mth and that was that. I opted for 50mb as 100mb was no different at peak times.
    I received the new contract today. I'm sure i can negotiate more as he was too quick to conform so may call back end of this week when I have summoned the energy to deal with them again.
    :money:
    £15.99 (ex vat) £19.20 (inc) Land-line with caller display, answer machine, free weekend calls and 50mb unlimited Broadband for 12 months and free netflix :rotfl: (FOR NOW)
  • Varboss
    Varboss Posts: 1 Newbie
    edited 16 January 2015 at 6:19PM
    Options
    Really pleased I read this. After phoning sky and discussing my bill (after threatning to leave, nicely of course) they have given me the following.

25% off line rental for 12 months
    25% off tv services for 12 months £30 p/m savings here
    25% off sky fibre for 12 months

I then mentioned my sky box is playing up a little and needed a new one and was there a discount available. He came back to me with the following,

Free wireless sky hd box £199 saving here

Sky also told me to phone them again on 16 dec to get new deals added.
    I have saved a massive £559 for just picking a phone up and mentioning leaving. Thank you so much Mse
  • lafesta
    lafesta Posts: 15 Forumite
    Options
    Has someone managed, this month, to get Sky Fibre unlimited for £5/month (full price Tel line) on a 12 months contract ?
    Or something that gives the same (£21.40) or better overall monthly payment, but on a 18 months contract ?
  • KrisBilko
    Options
    Good Morning all :)

This is my first ever post on the MSE Forum so please bare with me;
    I have really good news in response to a phone conversation that my mother had with Virgin Media this morning.

We have been with VM for over 10 years, even when they were known as Telewest/Blueyonder and have always received a reasonable loyalty discount off our monthly bill. Recently, we were sent a letter to say that the monthly cost was increasing again, and that the loyalty discount was to be taken off our bills. We both agreed that this was unsatisfactory as we are still continuing to show our loyalty for the company by keeping our business with them...

This morning my Mother successfully retained our loyalty discount, and our monthly bill was cut from £108 to £99 per month respectively (This price covers 1 x Tivo HD+ and 1 x standard VM Box, XL TV Package w/Sky Sports, 152MB broadband and unlimited everyday calls).
    As part of this deal, our broadband was upgraded to 50MB to the now full 152mb speed which is excellent really!
    They will also be sending out a new standard HD box for my bedroom, only charging us a one off fee of £20 and said that we are able to keep my existing box for spare! This will be fantastic as I had a new Samsung 32" Full HD TV for Christmas that I can now utilise!

I know a lot of people that have complained about VM for many years, but we have always received excellent service, and fantastic discounts and upgrades from them.

If you are a loyal customer for any company, it is definitely worth haggling as my first post shows!

Thanks all for taking the time to read this, and good luck with getting entitled loyalty discounts.

Kris
  • GeordieGill_2
    Options
    In the light of Virgin's price increase next month, I phoned Virgin yesterday to give them the opportunity to keep me as a customer. After some discussion. with a tweek to our TV package, I managed to get a monthly saving of £25.54 which amounts to a saving of £306 over 12 months. Result!! Thanks MSE for guidelines on how to haggle!:T
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback