Geek Squad phone insurance and mis-selling to cus

Options
I purchased this insurance with my phone over a year ago I was convinced by their sales man to take up their excellent insurance which would give me a brand new phone if It should ever get damaged told the difference in their insurance is if I damaged or lost my phone I would get instant replacement with a brand new phone unlike the insurance with my bank for 4.99 a month that by paying 13.99 a month I was fully covered for a brand new phone if I should ever be in this position so I decided to go with their insurance. Only 14 months later I break my screen to go in store to be told I will be given a refurbished phone in 24 hours nothing on their leaflet is shown to you states it will be a refurbished handset just replacement phone so you pay 13.99 a month a 60.00 excess for a second hand phone their excuse it’s in the small print yet staff say something completely different so I asked for money paid in premium to be reimbursed as I had been told otherwise by staff again I am told this is not possible absolutely disgusting that staff are misinforming customers and when questioned simply told it’s in small print so staff are able to lie to customers to gain sale nothing on the leaflet used to gain sale but somewhere in small print they put this clause if open and honest at point of sale no way would I have paid additional £9 per month seems if it’s in the small print the staff can say whatever they wish to make a sale

Comments

• esuhl
    esuhl Posts: 9,409 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Yeah -- I think many high street shops regularly mis-sell insurance.

I bought insurance for my first phone from The Link. I was told it covered everything, "even if you drop it in your pint of beer down the pub". Several months later I tried to make a claim and was told that accidental damage was not covered by the policy.

Insurance is a form of gambling, really. The odds are in the house's favour (as they need to be able to cover all claims, pay staff and still make a profit).

Next time you're in a shop and are offered insurance, listen to the salesman's spiel. Then ask to look at the terms & conditions, and loudly point out every instance where he has committed an offence under the Misrepresentation Act.

I don't know if it will help, but you can make a complaint about financial mis-selling to the Financial Ombudsman:

https://www.moneyadviceservice.org.uk/en/articles/financial-mis-selling-what-to-do-if-you-think-its-affected-you
  • Adelem77
    Options
    Yes I will do but as I have signed a contract which agrees to terms and conditions seems it is okay for these companies to sell how they wish even though the leaflet which is shown to you at point of sale not the terms and conditions states nothing about refurbished phone and car phone warehouse response is we can!!!8217;t prove what was said and do not seem to acknowledge that the tactics which must be widely used seem acceptable by company no proof further down the line and i asked my son was he told it was a new phone and he replied yes the man said I would get a new phone Never again will I trust Carphone Warehouse
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure