State Pension Invitation Application

Options

Comments

• capital0ne
    capital0ne Posts: 872 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I applied online 18 months ago, cannot remember now if I got any electronic comms but you do get a letter telling you how much you'll get in your first payment (it may not be a full four weeks worth) and then the date from which you start your four week cycle and how much you will get, my pay date is on a Monday my wife's on a Friday. It depends on your NI number apparently.

This letter arrived after my birthday but before I received my first payment. My first payment covered 3 weeks, and from then on it's every four weeks.
  • greenglide
    greenglide Posts: 3,301 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Hung up my suit!
    Options
    it. He said it’s been law since 2010.
    He seems a bit confused then!

It certainly isn't law. Four weekly is the DWPs preferred periodicity which is understandable si ce they have to pay for each payment are through BACS and there is the increased cost of the IT required to support weekly payments.

Other benefits do only allow weekly payments in cases of hardship and the claimant is expected to produce evidence òf this. This was the case for Incapacity Benefit before transition to ESA.
  • Jack_Itin
    Jack_Itin Posts: 340 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Thanks for that.....Yes I think my payment day will be a Monday....I still don't know the amount, but believe that info. is in the letter they send you nearer the time.......Jack.
    Retired (Early) April 2015
  • xylophone
    xylophone Posts: 44,413 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I came on here to post a new thread but now I’ve read this I hope you don’t mind me joining in. My husband rang DWP today to check that they have received his application ( I did the same 12 months ago.) They have received it but he didn’t get a confirmation email. He also asked for his pension to be paid weekly, as I did, but he got a completely different reaction than I did. He was told, firstly, that a weekly payment wasn’t an option. He told the guy that I got mine weekly and he was told that “ it’s the law” that dictates a 4 weekly payment. OH reiterated that I get mine weekly to which he was told “ only if it would cause considerable hardship could he get it weekly. OH replied that it WOULD cause hardship, so the guy reluctantly authorised it. He said it’s been law since 2010. Well, I wasn’t told that last year and frankly I don’t think I believe it. Is this really the law or was the guy just trying it on?

See House of Commons Briefing Paper

State Pension Arrangements

BRIEFING PAPER
    Number CBP-260, 27 October 2017
    State Pension payment
    arrangements

For people who reached State Pension age before 6 April 2010, it can be paid weekly in advance or four weekly in arrears.

For people reaching State Pension age on or after 6 April 2010, a payday is allocated according to the final two digits of the customer’s National Insurance number. Payment is weekly, fortnightly or four-weekly in arrears.

Regulation 22CA specifies that the new State Pension is paid in
    arrears, at intervals of one week, two weeks, four weeks, or 13
    weeks, if the beneficiary agrees.
  • Katykat
    Katykat Posts: 1,743 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks very much Xylophone. My OH never really believed it anyway, but it did seem very unfair for the guy to say that. We “ baby boomers “ have enough people begrudging us our pensions without DWP putting us under unnecessary pressure. Oops! Did I really say that?
    :smileyhea A SMILE COSTS ABSOLUTELY NOTHING
  • Jack_Itin
    Options
    O.K.....an update.....have today rang DWP to check that they have actually received my pension claim that I made nearly a month ago....they have NOT !!......the guy said that they are "having problems with online claims", and to ring back in early March, as they can not accept claims over the 'phone until 2 months before the pension is due (mine is due on 30 April)......what's going on, I thought the Government website was "foolproof"......obviously not.........Jack.
  • Jack_Itin
    Options
    Just an afterthought......what's happened to my.....and other people's, bank details ? if DWP haven't received them, then where have they gone?.......and they want you to do everything online.....I don't think so.......Jack.
  • colsten
    colsten Posts: 17,597 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Jack_Itin wrote: »
    Just an afterthought......what's happened to my.....and other people's, bank details ? if DWP haven't received them, then where have they gone?.......and they want you to do everything online.....I don't think so.......Jack.
    All sorts of people and organisations have had your sort code and account number for many decades. You were happily giving it out with every cheque you wrote. No need to be concerned about that.

It is, however, quite disconcerting that the DWP should "lose" online applications for state pensions. I would raise a formal complaint if I were you. https://www.gov.uk/government/organisations/department-for-work-pensions/about/complaints-procedure
  • Jack_Itin
    Options
    Thanks for that......it's not really on is it ?........Jack
  • mgdavid
    mgdavid Posts: 6,705 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    If you claimed online then there is an option at the end of the process to print a Summary which is 3 pages containing all the relevant information you provided for the claim and payment. If you didn't get the summary that would be the clue that the claim has not completed. I claimed in January last year for an April (new tax year) start and received a letter confirming basic payment on 27 March. Then received two further letters in May about my deferral options.
    The questions that get the best answers are the questions that give most detail....
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure