Is it possible to claim Aqua card cashback once account is closed?

Hi,

I found some old paperwork this weekend which showed I had an aqua reward card a few years ago, around 2014, I remember getting about £50 cashback on this over 12 months and was sent a cheque. I know I didn't ever get round to cashing the cheque, I think it expired.

I'd closed my account by the time I realised this and called up Aqua but they said I'd have to open a new account in order for them to discuss the issue with me.

I gave up at the time, a couple of years ago but just remembererd it again, do I have any rights or ways to claim that cashback money again, or do I have to open another account to discuss it with them or have I lost it for good?

Any help would be great thanks.

Comments

• john1002
    john1002 Posts: 984 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Due to the timescales I would say you’ve lost it, try and find your old terms and conditions as any chance will lie in there, the onus was on you to cash the cheque as they have fulfilled there obligations.

Write to them and see how it goes.

John
  • isayhello
    isayhello Posts: 431 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Thanks, I'll have a look for my old terms but wondered if there are any rules around expired cheques that someone might know of.

I might well be outside the time frame to ask for a replacement cheque but I will think about writing to them, unfortunately I can't find an email to contact them on so it might have to be snail mail.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,093 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    john1002 wrote: »
    Due to the timescales I would say you’ve lost it, try and find your old terms and conditions as any chance will lie in there, the onus was on you to cash the cheque as they have fulfilled there obligations.

Write to them and see how it goes.

John

This is incorrect information - it's within the last 5/6 years.

Simply put they owe you the money, they can add admin costs for the stopping & re-issuing the cheque though.

I'd suggest you put in the request in writing and give as much info as you can e.g. old card number.
  • This is incorrect information - it's within the last 5/6 years.

Simply put they owe you the money, they can add admin costs for the stopping & re-issuing the cheque though.

I'd suggest you put in the request in writing and give as much info as you can e.g. old card number.

Thanks @Heng if they owe me around £50-60 is it still worth it then considering they may add charges for admin and perhaps even ignore the letter?
  • System
    isayhello wrote: »
    Thanks @Heng if they owe me around £50-60 is it still worth it then considering they may add charges for admin and perhaps even ignore the letter?

Simply ask for the cheque to be re-issued & see what they say - they may not charge you.
  • chattychappy
    chattychappy Posts: 7,302 Forumite
    Heng_Leng wrote: »
    This is incorrect information - it's within the last 5/6 years.

It's true that normal contractual limitation is 6 years. But it is possible that there was something in the T+Cs that prevents such a claim as this.
  • System
    It's true that normal contractual limitation is 6 years. But it is possible that there was something in the T+Cs that prevents such a claim as this.

Possibly, but I doubt such a limitation would be 'fair', if it even exists.
    Their position is also obviously weaker with money than points.
  • Heng_Leng wrote: »
    Possibly, but I doubt such a limitation would be 'fair', if it even exists.
    Their position is also obviously weaker with money than points.

Personally I think it would be fair depending how it was drawn up. The OP chose to close the account and we are two years down the line. It's not uncommon to lose airmiles/points etc., when closing an account or alternatively being given a very short time to spend them. Cashback is of a similar ilk IMHO. True a cheque was issued and then unpresented, so slightly different here.

Anyway all conjecture - we don't know what the T+Cs were. And who's to say that a judge might not agree with you rather than me.
  • isayhello
    isayhello Posts: 431 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Thanks, good to hear different opinions, I guess I will send them a letter and see what they say, the cynical part of me thinks they'll just ignore it completely though.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure