PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Cooking for one

Options

Comments

• Anne_Marie_2
    Anne_Marie_2 Posts: 2,123 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    MITSTM - Some tips for your carpet on this link. Hope that you manage to get it out.
    https://www.wolfeflooring.com/maintenance/carpet-stain-removal-guide/how-to-remove-soy-sauce-stain-from-carpet-or-a-rug/
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    L1dl and 4ldi both open at 8.
    I want to go to L1dl .... but I'd also like to go to 4ldi.
    Having been to one, I won't fancy going into a 2nd shop.

First world problems.

L1dl weekend offer has 1Kg spuds and 1Kg onions that I might as well pick up .... but I still can't decide if I need spuds at all (not spud weather) ... but the onions will keep for weeks and/or freeze so they're worth getting as I "ran out of" onions the last 3-4 weeks trying to empty the freezer so have definitely missed them.

4ldi have tomatoes (for the whole fortnight though, so no rush) and I "ran out of" tomatoes this week. They do keep well and it is "tomato sandwich weather".

I also need a loaf as I shoved the last half a loaf in the freezer and I don't fancy that for sandwiches, I'd like a fresh loaf... but then I don't want a whole loaf, so that lands me back at 4ldi wanting their big bread rolls.

*taps fingers* decisions ... decisions.

I feel a sausage roll (well, a whole pack) coming on ... :)
  • Anne_Marie_2
    Anne_Marie_2 Posts: 2,123 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    L1dl and 4ldi both open at 8.
    I want to go to L1dl .... but I'd also like to go to 4ldi.
    Having been to one, I won't fancy going into a 2nd shop.

First world problems.

:rotfl: Know exactly where you are coming from. Can't be doing with trailing around shops, it's one of those things that you have to do.

Not been on much this past week as had loads to do, am shattered and sleeping badly. Will catch up, hopefully, over the next few days.
  • PasturesNew
    Options
    Shopping fail. I chose L1dl ... and am now sitting here quite "angry" :)

It was mobbed! Utterly mobbed. The onions are an offer all week long (so I needn't have rushed) ... and they were unappetising to look at, so I didn't get those.

Grabbed 2 cans of fizzy pop (overpriced imho, but they were there and I was there and I'd rather pay extra and know I have something I like, that spend the rest of the day trying to access the best price).

Got a pack of 4 muffins, 39p but with a 30% off sticker.

Then I hit the queues for the till. I was determined to wait it out, but went into auto-mode and was grateful when it was my turn and did it on autopilot. Got half way home and thought "Hang on, I didn't give him enough money", so I thought about it and I'd given him £1.07. Receipt said £1.17.

I thought I'd pop back with the 10p later .... then I realised - he'd not knocked off the 30% - so I was robbed of tuppence! Feeling pretty miffed at that... so I'm GLAD I "short-changed" him.

Breakfast was: one toasted muffin & 2 scrambled eggs, brown sauce. Black coffee.
  • moneyistooshorttomention
    Options
    ..and I'm just grinning ruefully thinking "I wish I'd known about caron's idea of soaking paper before disposing of it - ie to obliterate the text on it". That would be before I painstakingly shredded absolutely loads of paperwork with a little manual shredder:(

I'm now frequently using the tips from here of putting something to defrost on metal and it defrosts much quicker. Also the idea of cutting cheese into 1" chunks (before putting in box in freezer). I found those cheese chunks do defrost very quickly anyway. Also been doing the grating the Parmesan straight from the freezer one.

So it's all proving useful to know.:)
  • PasturesNew
    edited 17 June 2017 at 9:21AM
    Options

I'm now frequently using the tips from here

Something else I always do when opening a bag of muffins or bread rolls is to slice the whole lot in one go. It's madness to open the bag, cut one, make a mess, clear up the mess, put the knife away.... repeat for the remaining 5 items in the bag over the coming days ... when you can simply make the mess once and slice the lot in that first session.

Also, ready sliced, they're immediately ready to toss into the freezer if you run out of time to eat them... it's easier, if sliced, when you take one out and nuke it to defrost it as it can be impossible to slice it without squashing it once nuked.
  • SunnyGirl
    SunnyGirl Posts: 2,639 Forumite
    Options
    Morning all :)

MITSTM I have used so many tips from here now that I'm CFO and love the cheese tip.

I'm at work right now and am glad of them having air con as it's very warm and muggy today. Cloudy here in Blackburn although it was sunny when I left home which is a half hours drive away. I didn't think weather changed that much over 15 miles :rotfl:

I have made a cheese and onion chutney sandwich for lunch with a yoghurt, some cherry tomatoes and a biscuit and have a spag bol from my homemade ready meal stash in the freezer for tea. Starting to think about July's menu planning and what I want to cook in bulk or just make one meal of. Cue lots of counting and working out things like how many chicken breasts I need to buy to make the required meals
    moneyistooshorttomention Posts: 17,940 Forumite
    edited 17 June 2017 at 11:03AM
    Options
    [QUOTE=SunnyGirl;72710739

I'm at work right now and am glad of them having air con as it's very warm and muggy today. Cloudy here in Blackburn although it was sunny when I left home which is a half hours drive away. I didn't think weather changed that much over 15 miles :rotfl:

[/QUOTE]

Oh it can.

It's a bit of a lifesaver to me - coming from somewhere with better weather than here.

I know I can travel to somewhere else (ie a location I like anyway) that's only about 2 miles away from here and chances are that the weather will be a bit better than here. There's also a location a 20 minute bus trip from here where the weather tends to be that bit better too (ditto a location I prefer to here).

On the other side is a local friend who also moved here and I have a "standing joke" comment about "Oh - that house is at ****** location. That explains why it's cheaper" and we both groan at just how bad the weather is known to be there. Also another location walking distance from my house has weather so bad that it's the unwary incomer that would buy a place there in the summer - as everyone lays bets as to whether they will put the place on the market again after their first winter there.

It's surprising just how there can be a different micro-climate not that far away. Mind you there are those of us that never really believed weather could be that different elsewhere in the country - until we moved elsewhere in it.....ahem....cough....Just thankthelawd I didnt pick ******* location my friend and I joke about (though it's too remote for me to have considered anyway) and the walking distance worse location would be possible but more hassle than where I am.

Oh well - at least the stain in carpet came up okay thankfully. I did manage to finish sorting out all my food supplies and they are now SO logically laid-out - vinegars all together, oils all together, grains all together and in alphabetical order, etc, etc. Pasturesnew would be proud of the logical thinking here - before she started telling me it was too "modern food" for her taste LOL.
    Options
    I wish Pastures - I wish......

I've planned that storage space extremely carefully - literally going for every single square inch of extra storage I could manage to cram in basically. It's shelves more than cupboards iyswim that I've got for my storage space.

Hence 4 oils and 5 vinegars etc etc.
    Options
    Whilst you've got space in your freezer - perhaps you could try making ice lollies with the Ribena?

Considering as how we've got some decent weather at last - well, if we have here, then you must have there I guess...:cool:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure