mortgage free - advice most welcome...

2»

Comments

• Anyone can buy their council house if they have lived in it long enough either rent paid by them or from housing benefit. Some people are just in the right place at the right time and circumstances do change. Good luck to anyone in this position who have taken advantage of the option to buy. It is not just layabouts who live in council owned houses. My sister could have bought her house in 2001 prior to the last house price rises. She didnt and lost out - that was her fault. Like I said " Right place. Right Time"
  • ftbworried
    ftbworried Posts: 358 Forumite
    How can circumstances change (i.e. they become financially better off) but they get to keep their 'free house'? The right to a council house should be means tested on a renewable basis.

p.s. I understand that council tenants pay 'rent', but it always substantially lower than the market rate (i.e. it is subsidised).
  • Gingham_Ribbon
    Gingham_Ribbon Posts: 31,520 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Hi there.

Discussions on council housing are probably best placed in Discussion Time. The original post is about paying off a mortgage, so can we try to keep on topic in order to help answer the question?

Thanks. :)
    May all your dots fall silently to the ground.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure