Who DON’T you want to win the election?

Options

Comments

• DCI_Barnaby
    Options
    Further thoughts. If you've had a mortgage for the last 13 years, you've been hundreds of pounds a month to the good, because interest rates have been kept at a moderate or low level. When I first bought a house in the 1990s, when the Conservatives were in power, interest rates were much higher (even touching 15%). If what concerns you most is the money you have to spend each month, bear this in mind.

And, of course, if you work at the lowest end of the income scale, you wouldn't have had a minimum wage in those days either, so employers could pay you a pittance without redress.

Then there's Gift Aid. How many millions has this raised for charities? All down to the much-maligned Mr Brown.

Finally, for the senior citizens, the winter fuel allowance is now taken for granted. Before 1997, a (much smaller) allowance was only paid if temperature dipped to a particular low for a given period of time, and even then it had to be claimed back retrospectively.

Seriously, folks: it's so easy to overlook the good things that have been done and to forget how bad things really were.
  • Barbarian
    Barbarian Posts: 17 Forumite
    edited 5 May 2010 at 8:03PM
    Options
    If any of us had run our personal finances the way that Gordon Brown has run the economy we'd deserve to be locked up.

The UK National Debt is over £900 billion and, with a budget deficit of around £180bn, it's rising rapidly . A quick calculation makes that about £14,000 per man, woman and child in the UK, or over £30,000 each for every employed person.

If you call yourselves money-savers there's only one choice to ousting this money-waster and it's not the Lib-Dems.

There's no point in debating who has the best policies to spend money we don't have. The country needs to start earning again and that means we need to support our businesses and get UK plc. back on its feet.
  • Just_mommy
    Just_mommy Posts: 25 Forumite
    Options
    I really do not want to have David Cameron running the country! Tomorrow I will be voting Labour again. I LIKE Gordon Brown (yes I did say like!) and I think he has done a lot of good things which lots tend to overlook.

The Cons and the Libs are playing on Mr Browns inabillity to be a show man!! Under a Conservative government I expect only the rich to get richer and the not so fortunate to suffer.

Remember who sold off British Steel, Britsh Rail etc etc... Maggie Thatcher Milk snatcher!!!
  • Pembroke
    Pembroke Posts: 841 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    For all of you that think Labour have been good for the country look at PFI (Public Finance Initiative) it's a scheme that has allowed Gordon and now Alistair to keep large public capital expenditure off the country's books. Some of the schemes now in existence will still be being paid back 20 years from now and will cost the country (us) a lot more than if the scheme had been paid for up front and the hit taken on the budget straight away.

There's also the Public Private Partnerships (PPP) which were setup for the same reason, they're also now costing us a lot more than if the services they pay for were kept on the books.

Which ever government now takes over they will either be faced with carrying on with these schemes at great cost or dismantling them with loads of financial penalty clauses that are built in.
  • obilic3
    obilic3 Posts: 1 Newbie
    Options
    www. bankofengland.co.uk/education/inflation/timeline/chart .htm

GO on kiddies, check the inflation chart!!

Check the “shocking 70’s list, it makes me laugh that Thatcher is blamed for inflation when she brought it down for the heights of the 70’s, of course it was high but by and large it was a downward spiral brought by the miss handling of the economy by Labour.

It’s like blaming the police (Thatcher) for murder (Labour on the UK) when they (Thatcher) turn up after it happened to solve it, very logical.

We had a strong economy that was resilient to deal with the recession in the 80’s/90’s and we came out of it stronger and faster than most of our European competitors. Whilst there will always be recessions, the ERM was a huge mistake, however many European countries suffered recessions during the 80’s and 90’s and the UK came out stronger than its rivals, unlike today. People will suffer, my parents did but we moved on quicker than most within the EEC.
    I am not rich, but it makes me laugh the envy and resentment against business and rich people. Of course there is “old money”, but stop punishing those who have “made it”. They make sacrifices to earn what they do. Many who start business do so at the risk to their private life, families and general health and the choice on how far they go should not be penalised to support waste, pure rubbish wasteful spending by taxing more, rather you and I waste it than this crazy government.
    I am sure you can imagine a rich lord with a greedy face counting his monies and find ways to grow it.
    I can also see a druggie given everything for free, dental care, money, rent etc counting his stash of drugs knowing he will always be let off the hook to commit crime and clog up the court system.
    The benefit class living off the working class knowing there is no consequence in their lives and attitude of entitlement is prevalent.
    The public sector workers who now represent 55% of the economy living off the 45% generated in the private sector???? Giving false hope of an everlasting money pit, whilst real wealth generating sectors are neglected.

When things change as they must because it’s unaffordable, who has mislead these overly reliant jobsworths and useless members of society and left them to stew without tackling the issues and creating real tangible opportunities? it has always existed but not by this much!

I always believe the Tories biggest failing is in various social aspects once any economy starts generating wealth, but this Labour government has nothing for anyone who wants work or help their country and preserve our values.

Sod it, the people get the government they deserve (+ useless bodies, comities, NGO’s, Health and safety do-gooders, EU laws on how you should live your life, social tension and friction etc etc etc), some here deserve a lot worse.
  • weejimmys
    Options
    ID vote out labour,
    they simply cant do the job,

if you had a company and hired a manager and after 13 years of disapointment and blatent theft would you keep the person on or fire them?

But it dosent matter as this country is full of " oh ive voted labour all my life" people who dont have a clue about the manifestos or ambitions of the partys.

glad im in scotland and have snp but even thats under threat as the tv shows had no mention of them and people dont even think they are involved this year.. its all the x-factor voters now voting for "the best one of the telly"
  • Paul_VW
    Paul_VW Posts: 131 Forumite
    Options
    I am not rich enough to have the Tory's in!!
  • Tuesday
    Tuesday Posts: 54 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I'll be voting Lib Dem. We need Vince Cable as Chancellor. He is the only one who has consistently talked sense on the economy. I trust him to do what's right for Britain. Clegg strikes me as straightforward too. Don't trust Cameron HOW much makeup was he wearing in those debates????
  • baldy_pete
    baldy_pete Posts: 7 Forumite
    Options
    Terry_D wrote: »
    Though I can understand your frustration baldy_pete, I can't agree with your proposed action. We are privileged to live in a democracy - millions of people around the world have absolutely no say on how their laws and taxes are made and used. I totally agree that ours is a far from perfect system but it's the only system we have and spoiling ballot papers will not change that. We get a chance once every five years, apart from the rare referendum, to have our say and IMHO to waste it is at best silly and at worst dis-respective to our constitution.

"Baldy" Terry

Terry
    My point is that it is not a waste. It is my opinion that none of the parties have any interests beyond their own and that they are quite content with politics as they are. We all get angry for a few weeks and everyone is outraged at things like expenses but after a relatively short time we go back to the same old game.
    I do feel strongly that we are privileged to be able to vote and that is why I will use mine but if there are no parties that I believe in and the option of none of the above is not available, the spoilt ballot is the only option.
    Imagine if the election turnout increased by 10% but all of those votes were spoilt? They would all have to take notice and we may benefit in the long term.
    If a massive number of people
    It may be a dog's life but does he look like he's worried about money?
  • MiserlyMartin
    MiserlyMartin Posts: 2,236 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I really dont want the Tories in power, I dont trust David Cameron. Nick Clegg really doesnt have a clue. I trust Gordon Brown to get us totally out of the recession and I dont want anyone else messing up the economy.

Thats right, vote for the man who got the UK public finances in such a state so that he can spend another 5 years shafting it some more.
    (No it wasn't Americas fault, nor was it 'global' - it was this Labour government)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure