PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

How can i clean a leather suite / sofa

Comments

• hilary1
    hilary1 Posts: 1,443 Forumite
    My suites 4 years old and all I've ever done is polish it with pledge or similar when I polish everything else.
    The curve that can set a lot of things straight is a smile
  • Ok before I begin I think I thanked everybody you are all so helpful.

Now the real question: Are baby wipes any good and if so which one?

I have orded some leather cleaning wipes to be delivered with my shopping (Mr Sheen ones). Are these any good?

I think I will give a good proper clean every couple of months, but I need a quick way to clean it without damging when the dirty footprints get on it.

Rachel
  • Oops, just re-read my post and realised I can't spell tonight, sorry.

Rachel
  • Rachie_B
    Rachie_B Posts: 8,785 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    baby wipes are fab IMO i use tesco own (in purple pkt)

i also now and again give it a polish with furniture polish or dust it with one of those flash duster thingies
  • upferret
    upferret Posts: 691 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Use saddle soap, you can get it from saddlers and tack shops. It costs a few pounds for a big block, you just rub some on a damp cloth and rub it into the leather. It feeds the leather and stops it cracking. A block usually lasts a long time.
    November £10 a day challenge. Im starting early- 66p so far!
  • spirit
    spirit Posts: 2,886 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Mortgage-free Glee!
    Hi,

I have a cream leather sofa and I always clean it with a microfibre cloth wrung out to almost dry with some pure soap flakes dissolves in the water. I did it again yesterday actually and it came up like new again (is only 2 yrs old anyway)
    Mortgage free as of 10/02/2015. Every brick and blade of grass belongs to meeeee. :j
  • pollys
    pollys Posts: 1,756 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Mortgage-free Glee!
    For a quick wipe I just use a barely damp cloth and a bit of mild washing up liquid, I use ecover, which is very mild.

HTH
    MFW 1/5/08 £45,789 Cleared mortgage 1/02/13
    Weight loss challenge. At target weight.
  • Hi all

A quick update on the wipes I bought (Mr Sheen leather cleaning wipes), well they do just smell like baby wipes, not as big though, did clean the suite okay, but for £1.98 a packet it would of been cheaper to buy baby wipes.

I have found a recipe that you can make yourself and it leaves the leather feeling soooo soft:

2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
    2 tablespoons distilled white vinegar
    2 drops lemon oil essence

Mix well, apply a small amount working it into the leather, finally buff and remove excess oil with a soft cloth and hey presto a soft and supple suite.

Will definately get a pack of baby wipes for emergency use.

Thanks to all for your help.

Rachel :wave:
  • tired_mum
    tired_mum Posts: 2,340 Forumite
    hi i work for a furniture retailer and we are now advised to tell customers never use baby wipes as they can damage th coating on the leather over the years just use pure soap flakes to get the worst off
  • sarahspain
    sarahspain Posts: 132 Forumite
    What would you all use to clean a leather sofa?

All the specific cleaners and creams are so expensive :mad: .
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure