Wash your uniform at home ?

Options

Comments

• booksurr
    booksurr Posts: 3,700 Forumite
    Options
    Dave_308 wrote: »
    Sorry Dazed and confused, I think I am been a bit dense.

As in additional costs do you mean, like; mileage allowance, cleaning boots?

Could you give me an example?
    that is exactly the point. Sadly, the manual does not define what it means by "all other workers".

Neither can you offer an explanation as to why you would be entitled to £120 when all you are doing is washing 2 items of clothing in line with the comment "Those workers incurring laundry costs only £60".
  • Dave_308
    Options
    Dazed and confused & booksurr, thanks for the help.

So it looks like the £60 option for me, some is better than none.

As to why I should entitled to £120; I have a standpoint of minimising my tax, just like all the big companies and non-doms.:D

Would like to know what “all other works” is. Is it worth ringing the HMRC to fined out?
  • BackonTheMarket75
    Options
    Yes! My tax has now been reduced for washing my uniform at home :)
  • tillycat123
    tillycat123 Posts: 971 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    If you have 2 jobs that both give uniform can you claim for both or just 1 claim has to cover all?
  • 00ec25
    00ec25 Posts: 9,123 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    If you have 2 jobs that both give uniform can you claim for both or just 1 claim has to cover all?
    read post #1's links, the answer is there
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showpost.php?p=281775&postcount=1
  • uphillstruggler
    Options
    Brilliant money-saving tip and thanks for letting me know. Bit of a retro-post here but managed to save £200 in my old customer service job. It was very easy to do through HMRC. One happy debt-free wannabe! Thank you.
    Emergencies account: £500/500
  • Ashers92
    Ashers92 Posts: 102 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Uniform Washer
    Options
    Here's a question.

I've already successfully applied for this rebate a couple of years ago, but now I'm helping a colleague do the same. This is his second time working at the company after taking a break and working elsewhere. Can a single claim be put in for the first time working here between the dates he worked here, as well as the second time.
    How would we go about wording it in the letter? Something like below?

'I have been employed at 'COMPANY' between xx/xx/xx and xx/xx/xx and since xx/xx/xx.
    I am provided with multiple items of uniform bearing the company logo. As such I am obliged to launder the uniform, as there are no laundry facilities available to me.
    I therefore wish to claim an expenses allowance of £60 for each year worked during/since the above dates.'

Also, is the rebate still back dated 4 years, plus the current tax year? If so, he started working the first time round long before the 2013/14 tax year. Should we include the original dates anyway and let the tax office work out the cut off time for a rebate?

Thanks,
    Ash
    #157 - Save £12k in 2016: £12000 / £12000
    House deposit saving mode active: £40000 / £40000
  • 00ec25
    00ec25 Posts: 9,123 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Ashers92 wrote: »
    Here's a question.

I've already successfully applied for this rebate a couple of years ago, but now I'm helping a colleague do the same. This is his second time working at the company after taking a break and working elsewhere. Can a single claim be put in for the first time working here between the dates he worked here, as well as the second time.
    How would we go about wording it in the letter? Something like below?

'I have been employed at 'COMPANY' between xx/xx/xx and xx/xx/xx and since xx/xx/xx.
    I am provided with multiple items of uniform bearing the company logo. As such I am obliged to launder the uniform, as there are no laundry facilities available to me.
    I therefore wish to claim an expenses allowance of £60 for each year worked during/since the above dates.'

Also, is the rebate still back dated 4 years, plus the current tax year? If so, he started working the first time round long before the 2013/14 tax year. Should we include the original dates anyway and let the tax office work out the cut off time for a rebate?

Thanks,
    Ash
    technically if you write to HMRC you are supposed to use a P87 form. If you choose to write a letter instead then the bottom line is you claim for each tax year

the P87 covers an individual tax year, therefore you would need to send 5 separate forms for the tax years: 17/18, 16/17, 15/16, 14/15 & 13/14

form and instructions here:
    https://www.gov.uk/tax-relief-for-employees/how-to-claim
  • Ashers92
    Ashers92 Posts: 102 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Uniform Washer
    Options
    00ec25 wrote: »
    technically if you write to HMRC you are supposed to use a P87 form. If you choose to write a letter instead then the bottom line is you claim for each tax year

the P87 covers an individual tax year, therefore you would need to send 5 separate forms for the tax years: 17/18, 16/17, 15/16, 14/15 & 13/14

form and instructions here:
    https://www.gov.uk/tax-relief-for-employees/how-to-claim

Okay then. In addition to the letter we'll send the relevant amount of forms then.
    If you only worked half the tax year, I'm guessing you still put in a form for that year?
    #157 - Save £12k in 2016: £12000 / £12000
    House deposit saving mode active: £40000 / £40000
  • Andy_WSM
    Andy_WSM Posts: 2,217 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Uniform Washer Rampant Recycler
    Options
    Using the advice on this forum I managed to get a rebate for cleaning my works uniform for the last year and my tax code adjusted for future years. It's not a huge amount, but any tax I don't have to pay is a very welcome amount of money in my pocket nowadays.

Are there still badges being given out? Would love another for my little collection. :beer:
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback