PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

The MSE Forum will be undergoing some maintenance this evening. As a result, some users may experience temporary performance issues. Please use the Site Feedback board to report anything major. Thank you for your patience.

Neighbours ball damaging fence.

Comments

• Guest101
    Guest101 Posts: 15,764 Forumite
    I disagree. It's life if it happens 1/2 times and is then rectified - after that it's nuisance and nonsense.

If I had a hobby that lobbed random items into the gardens of neighbours, after the second time I'd be standing and scratching my head thinking "This isn't right. I must fix this. I can't be a nuisance to people and I dislike going and asking to retrieve it".... and I'd work out a solution so that I wasn't lobbing random items into the gardens of others.

It's the thin end of the wedge when it comes to disrespect. Disrespect for others, for the rights of others, for social cohesion and community spirit. It's verging on feral ... and the kid is being taught poor citizenship skills.

Citizenship? What fish, chips, 2 pints and a fight?

Children playing in their garden and not causing trouble on the streets? Hooligans!
  • Guest101
    mollycat wrote: »
    It's not nonsense, it's legitimate problem involving someone's right to a reasonable use of their amenities.

Exactly the type of pro-active policing that probably saves them work in the long term.

What would you rather they were doing, paperwork?

I'd rather people at least made the effort to resolve CIVIL disputes, where no crime has been committed, without involving the police.
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    "They're children...."

So where is the responsible adult? Behind every child is a responsible adult teaching, allowing, condoning, condemning or encouraging all behaviours.

The irresponsible adult in this case is enabling and allowing this behaviour. This is what I call: Bad Parenting.

Arrogance, a heightened sense of entitlement and downright bl00dy minded rudeness.

I hope he's got grass.... else his knuckles will hurt on gravel.
  • Davesnave
    Davesnave Posts: 34,741
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    Guest101 wrote: »
    Or, and it's radical, but it just might work.... go and talk to them yourselves.....
    I thought that had been tried....
    PhilE wrote: »
    Well, tea and cake didn't work. Another neighbor has also asked him, which hasn't solved anything
  • Guest101
    Davesnave wrote: »
    I thought that had been tried....

But that doesn't mean the next step is the police!
  • PasturesNew
    Forumite
    But that doesn't mean the next step is the police!

The OP is distant/absent.
    The OP has tried an approach.
    The OP's mother's neighbour has tried, to no avail.
    The OP's mother is elderly/frightened/intimidated and/or doesn't possess the physical/verbal/bully-fight-back skills to go bang on the door and get it resolved.

What IS the next step then?

For PCSOs this is "right up their street" ... plodding about looking for minor nuisances and dealing with the small/mundane stuff.
  • Guest101
    The OP is distant/absent.
    The OP has tried an approach.
    The OP's mother's neighbour has tried, to no avail.
    The OP's mother is elderly/frightened/intimidated and/or doesn't possess the physical/verbal/bully-fight-back skills to go bang on the door and get it resolved.

What IS the next step then?

For PCSOs this is "right up their street" ... plodding about looking for minor nuisances and dealing with the small/mundane stuff.

Ok, let's just assume the PCSO is the correct next step. What powers do they have to enforce this kind of thing?
  • m0bov
    m0bov Posts: 2,519
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    Anti Social Behaviour Order
  • PasturesNew
    Forumite
    Ok, let's just assume the PCSO is the correct next step. What powers do they have to enforce this kind of thing?

The authority to explain that it's not acceptable - and, with that authority, for the message to possibly be taken on board.

The power to send the clear message that "things can and will be done".

The power to show a bully/nuisance that there are bigger/badder people out there than themselves who are prepared to knock on their door and say "Oi!! No".
  • Guest101
    The authority to explain that it's not acceptable - and, with that authority, for the message to possibly be taken on board.

The power to send the clear message that "things can and will be done". - What things?

The power to show a bully/nuisance that there are bigger/badder people out there than themselves who are prepared to knock on their door and say "Oi!! No".
    And get told to 'f off' no doubt. There is no crime taking place here. By that logic, the police involvement is not required.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure