PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Does anyone want to join me waiting for new build to be built and complete

Comments

• kirtsypoos
    kirtsypoos Posts: 3,824 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker Cashback Cashier
    wifigeek2 wrote: »
    welp I have my nice new home.. its a monumental bellway bodge :-(

what a mess. never buy off-plan again!

Brickwork is covered in mortar splashes; holes in mortar; holes in render/missing render outside; front step that moves; back and front door not flush/can see light outside and cold air coming in. big gaps underneath my windows and mortar coming out in my hand...

so far 50+ snags that I know of; and it seems the others on the same estate as me all have similar horror stories. going to get full structural survey done just in case as I have a huge crack in concrete floor. I dont trust them..

Well worth £200k+. NOT :mad:

Sounds awful wifigeek, hope you get it sorted soon.
    :j PAID VERY, Barclaycard x3, Vanquis, Natwest, O/D, Tesco & MBNA x2 PAID :j LBM 24/07/15 - Original Debt: £0/31010.23 (100% paid) :eek:
    Mortgage - £151.316.54 :eek:
  • lee111s
    lee111s Posts: 2,988 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    wifigeek2 wrote: »
    welp I have my nice new home.. its a monumental bellway bodge :-(

what a mess. never buy off-plan again!

Brickwork is covered in mortar splashes; holes in mortar; holes in render/missing render outside; front step that moves; back and front door not flush/can see light outside and cold air coming in. big gaps underneath my windows and mortar coming out in my hand...

so far 50+ snags that I know of; and it seems the others on the same estate as me all have similar horror stories. going to get full structural survey done just in case as I have a huge crack in concrete floor. I dont trust them..

Well worth £200k+. NOT :mad:

Where abouts have you bought?

We moved into a Bellway in November and I've been really impressed. I'm pretty picky and very aware of what is and isn't acceptable and I must admit, while we had a few issues, they were all sorted very promptly.
  • Thanks All.

Fingers crossed.

We have purchased in west lothian. I am not alone as it seems some of my neighbors have had multiple new bathroom suites etc...
  • Hope they get things sorted soon.
    We're due to move in to our new Bellway home at the start of April. Fortunately, its a different development. I haven't heard anything bad but I guess you don't know until you move in .....
    MFW 2024 £0/7500 Mortgage £129,500 Jan 22 Final payment June 38 Now £99,801.75 FP May 36 Emergency Fund £17,500 100% Added to ISA 24 £0 Save 12k in 24 #31 £0/20,000 Debt Free 31.07.14
  • dannyjebb
    dannyjebb Posts: 428 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Hope they get things sorted soon.
    We're due to move in to our new Bellway home at the start of April. Fortunately, its a different development. I haven't heard anything bad but I guess you don't know until you move in .....

Could I ask if you have any advice on buying with Bellway? We are about to reserve a house with them, did you have any luck getting discount, freebies etc?

Thanks
  • lee111s
    lee111s Posts: 2,988 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    dannyjebb wrote: »
    Could I ask if you have any advice on buying with Bellway? We are about to reserve a house with them, did you have any luck getting discount, freebies etc?

Thanks

It's so site and plot specific that there's no rule of thumb. Change your arm, be cheeky. If you're not embarrased by what you're asking for then you're not asking for enough.

As it happens, with Bellway, we got jack. Popular estate and a numbee of folk looking at our specific plot... not sales patter either, we spoke to two other couples on the sales office who wanted it. Luckily we got the buyer first and put the reservation fee down.
  • We found the same as lee111s. We looked at the site early on and talked to the sales rep. At that point, she told us that she had no room to negotiate on price but might be able to do something with extras. When we wre actually at the stage of buying, there was no room for negotiation.
    I think, in our area, few 3 and 4 bed houses are coming on the market post brexit so the demand for new builds is really high.
    Bellway do seem to be a bit more competitively priced than some other builders. Their extras are similar in price. Some things were good value when we priced them (or too much hassle to do after moving in) but some have quite a mark up on them.
    MFW 2024 £0/7500 Mortgage £129,500 Jan 22 Final payment June 38 Now £99,801.75 FP May 36 Emergency Fund £17,500 100% Added to ISA 24 £0 Save 12k in 24 #31 £0/20,000 Debt Free 31.07.14
  • As well as the showhouses, our site has a 'viewhome' which is one built with the standard spec. This can be helpful in deciding what extras matter to you.
  • Captain89
    Captain89 Posts: 113 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Completion date has been moved up to 28/04 which is amazing for us. Still looking hard online for any warning signs but yet to find anything negative about countryside in recent times.

Went to a meet the builders meeting and they said all the right things. House goes through multiple checks before each department signs off on it so you should basically be snag free when you move in. I have family on the development and they don't have anything negative to say so I'm cautiously optimistic...
  • allthe7s
    allthe7s Posts: 187 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Got our mortgage offer through today, slowly but surely we're getting there!
    Preparing to go bankrupt April 2020
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport