The MSE Forum will be undergoing some maintenance this evening. As a result, some users may experience temporary performance issues. Please use the Site Feedback board to report anything major. Thank you for your patience.

Carers running up massive bills using Mum's phone to log in!

Comments

• TBagpuss
    TBagpuss Posts: 11,198
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Forumite
    I agree with the previous posters saying that you should raise this in writing, not by phone - if you have a service users manual / contract does it set out the company's complaints process?

If so, then follow the complaints procedure. Keep a copy of the letter, and try to keep the letter factual, and as unemotional as you can.

(e.g.
    - I am concerned that this breaches the terms of the contract,
    - it has cost my mother £xx / £xx per month for x months
    - I am concerned that some phone calls last over 10 minutes, and that my mother appears to have been billed for this time when clearly no care was being provided as the carer was on the phone.)

Also set out exactly how you would like them to resolve the situation - e.g. are you asking them to refund the extra costs or simply to ensure that it doesn't happen in the future?
    All posts are my personal opinion, not formal advice Always get proper, professional advice (particularly about anything legal!)
  • Person_one
    Person_one Posts: 28,884
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Peter333 wrote: »
    Who'd be a carer?! I know there have been a few that been proven to be dodgy, but the same goes for dentists, policemen, doctors, social workers, plastic surgeons etc, etc, but no-one tars all of THEM with the same brush!

Um, I'm pretty sure that they do! :rotfl:
  • mumps
    mumps Posts: 6,285
    Home Insurance Hacker!
    Forumite
    I have an elderly relative who has carers, they have to log in using her phone to prove they are actually at her home. The calls are free, not sure what the number is but it doesn't cost her anything and ensures she gets the time she is paid for. I thought all agencies would be the same. I don't think the service user should have to pay for calls but I don't think carers using their own phones is the answer.
    Sell £1500

2831.00/£1500
  • silvercar
    silvercar Posts: 46,861
    Academoney Grad Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Ambassador
    A lot of mobile phones now have GPS, so very easy to send your location via most messaging services. WhatsApp allows you to send a map showing your location.
    I'm a Forum Ambassador on The Coronavirus Boards as well as the housing, mortgages and student money saving boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Forum Ambassadors are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
  • UKTigerlily
    UKTigerlily Posts: 4,702
    First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    What would the Carers do if she didn't have a landline? Presumably they'd still have to login? When I had a Nurse (& also when workmen have been) their vehicles are tagged somehow so their location is known at all times & i'd assume if the Carer didn't show then there'd be complaints & their employer would be aware.

I'd get copies of all calls & highlight them on the bill, along with the total cost & send a letter of complaint telling them that Carers can no longer use the home phone & you want the full cost of the calls back. Plus, if there was any time from visits missed then that too
  • whitewing
    whitewing Posts: 11,852
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    I would state...except to call 999 in an emergency situation....I know they should have their own phone and use common sense, but who knows what would happen if they panic.
    :heartsmil When you find people who not only tolerate your quirks but celebrate them with glad cries of "Me too!" be sure to cherish them. Because these weirdos are your true family.
  • Peter333
    Peter333 Posts: 2,035 Forumite
    What would the Carers do if she didn't have a landline? Presumably they'd still have to login? When I had a Nurse (& also when workmen have been) their vehicles are tagged somehow so their location is known at all times & i'd assume if the Carer didn't show then there'd be complaints & their employer would be aware.

I'd get copies of all calls & highlight them on the bill, along with the total cost & send a letter of complaint telling them that Carers can no longer use the home phone & you want the full cost of the calls back. Plus, if there was any time from visits missed then that too

I wondered this too actually. I don't think anyone has ever visited our house from anywhere; a doctor, a meter man, a man from the gasboard or waterboard, a contractor, a repairman or anyone, and had to use OUR phone to check in. And why do the carers need to spend 10 minutes on the phone?

All very odd!
    You didn't, did you? :rotfl::rotfl:
  • mumps
    mumps Posts: 6,285
    Home Insurance Hacker!
    Forumite
    silvercar wrote: »
    A lot of mobile phones now have GPS, so very easy to send your location via most messaging services. WhatsApp allows you to send a map showing your location.

Well they could be sitting in their car talking to their boyfriend on their mobile for 15 minutes out of a 30 minute visit. I actually want to know that the carers are with my relative for the time they are being paid to be there. The care companies can set up a number where the client is being charged and it is proof they are in the house and I think that protects everyone.
    Sell £1500

2831.00/£1500
  • silvercar
    silvercar Posts: 46,861
    Academoney Grad Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Ambassador
    mumps wrote: »
    Well they could be sitting in their car talking to their boyfriend on their mobile for 15 minutes out of a 30 minute visit. I actually want to know that the carers are with my relative for the time they are being paid to be there. The care companies can set up a number where the client is being charged and it is proof they are in the house and I think that protects everyone.

Hmm, sounds like all you would get is proof that they are on the phone and not necessarily that they are caring for your relative.
    I'm a Forum Ambassador on The Coronavirus Boards as well as the housing, mortgages and student money saving boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Forum Ambassadors are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
  • missprice
    missprice Posts: 3,735
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    silvercar wrote: »

Only any use if the call plan you have includes internet or you actually have some crefit on your phone. as WhatsApp and gps need internet connection.

Also trackers can be used but they ain't free to install, and most carers I know are on min wage.
    63 mortgage payments to go.

Zero wins 2016 😥
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family