MSE Forum - Links - New Tab

bod1467
bod1467 Posts: 15,214 Forumite
I'm sure that when clicking links in posts on MSE forum it used to open links in new tabs. Now it opens links in the same tab (unless I use the mouse wheel click).

Is it just me? Is anyone else seeing this "change"?

I've had a quick scan of the UserCP settings but nothings jumping out at me.

Any ideas? (Chrome browser on Windows 10, for info).

Comments

• I came on here with the same question - yes I had another Windows 10 update on Friday night - could it be because of this?
    If so is there a workaround as I go on the comps forum a lot and enter them from there?
  • esuhl
    esuhl Posts: 9,409 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    It's possibly a browser setting. Which browser do you use? If it's IE or Edge, I imagine the Win10 update might have changed the settings.
  • Just to add to previous post other websites still open a seperate tag when pushing a link so is it aMSE thing?
  • D_M_E
    D_M_E Posts: 3,008 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Benn getting this only with the MSE site, but not all the time - sometimes links open in the same window, sometimes in a new tab.

Edge user here - just checked my settings and they look the same as they were before the update.

This is strange in that it (so far) only affects the MSE site.
  • fermi
    fermi Posts: 40,546 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker Intrepid Forum Explorer
    Free/impartial debt advice: National Debtline | StepChange Debt Charity | Find your local CAB

IVA & fee charging DMP companies: Profits from misery, motivated ONLY by greed
  • fermi
    fermi Posts: 40,546 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker Intrepid Forum Explorer
    Excuse for this daft **** up from MSE.
    Hi there, thanks for your feedback and your patience. We've disabled links from opening in new tabs for security reasons. While we can't make any promises, we're looking into a fix that may still let you open in a new tab and keep you safe at the same time. Could we ask for your patience, again, while we investigate?

Thanks
    Free/impartial debt advice: National Debtline | StepChange Debt Charity | Find your local CAB

IVA & fee charging DMP companies: Profits from misery, motivated ONLY by greed
  • D_M_E
    D_M_E Posts: 3,008 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Another thing - if I right click on an MSE link and select OPEN IN NEW TAB, yes, I get a new tab with the page for the link but now the original page in the original tab jumps to the top of the original page and I have to scroll down to find the link which I right clicked on.

This only occurs the first time I do a right click>open, all following right clicks operate as normal.
  • Le_Kirk
    Le_Kirk Posts: 22,283 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    Amazing, I was going to post about this ............... but now we have an answer, well half an answer. What is the security issue of which MSE speak?
  • kwikbreaks
    kwikbreaks Posts: 9,187 Forumite
    edited 9 October 2016 at 4:35PM
    Le_Kirk wrote: »
    What is the security issue of which MSE speak?
    An imagined one I should think. The only difference between opening in the same tab and a new one is the inclusion of a target="_blank" in the html. If it's a security risk it's been there since the dawn of the web and is present on just about every site there is.

=====
    It seems there is a vulnerability however as mentioned many boards do use this and for convenience most users will right click open new tab anyway as they'll get fed up with constantly closing MSE in error or chasing back to it if they've followed other links.

https://www.jitbit.com/alexblog/256-targetblank---the-most-underestimated-vulnerability-ever/
  • bod1467
    bod1467 Posts: 15,214 Forumite
    edited 9 October 2016 at 6:48PM
    fermi wrote: »

Looking at that thread reminds me that this has happened before.

In the grand scheme of things it is an utterly pointless change MSE have made - it provides no real additional security yet annoys most forum members. And since all links are parsed by the forum software anyway, the fix should only take seconds to implement yet it seems this issue has been around for several days - shameful MSE.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure