Wishing on an ickle star

Comments

• icklehelen
    icklehelen Posts: 355 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post PPI Party Pooper
    Just got in after being treated to a barbecue at friends!! :beer:

DD is on the mend thanks to antibiotics and creams (and two more returns to see the Dr!)

Spent quite a lot of time working on our new budget and spreadsheets once the Grand Plan finally kicks into action! (I feel like a broken record when friends and family ask about it) At the moment our lives are in the hands of a solicitor in London who says one thing and does the opposite! Looked into the ombudsman but it seems that as I haven't instructed said solicitor I have no rights to do anything! :mad:

Hoping the weather is good again tomorrow so I can get out into the garden again. Would have done some this morning but the paperwork mountain was nearing an avalanche! I tackled it and feel much better for getting it all filed/sorted for recycling etc
    Total OPs 2012 - 2019 £39744.75
    Target 2020 £18500/£18500
    01/05/2020 MORTGAGE FREE
    MFiT-T4 #03 MFW2019 #3
  • icklehelen
    Another lovely day here so managed to get another patch of garden sorted! There are lots of strawberry plants which have flowered so hopefully we will get some this year (we had about 3 last year!)

Another barbecue - making the most of this weather and friends new posh barbecue/grill/burner thingy! :D

Busy day at work tomorrow for me and keeping fingers crossed that we hear some good news from the solicitor!

Looking forward to it all being sorted for sooooo many reasons but the main one is so I can start planning and work out if we will still be able to aim for the August 2020 MF goal!

Early night required!

ickle
    01/05/2020 MORTGAGE FREE
    MFiT-T4 #03 MFW2019 #3
  • icklehelen
    Not managed to update for a while because . . . .

THE GRAND PLAN HAS BEGUN!!! (finally)dancing-with-joy-smiley-emoticon.gif

So DH and I are now the proud owners of our own business premises!! :j :eek:

It's been a challenging few months but now we are in I feel much calmer (although there is sooooooooooooo much to do now :rotfl:)

So the plan is that DH will manage the business on a day to day basis but hopefully it will be much fewer hours than he was doing in his previous job so he will also be able to push his graphic design work more. I'll be keeping my job (jobs if you include mum and housewife!) and also doing the paperwork and accounts.

Although it's going to be a hard slog and there is LOADS to do to start with we hope that eventually we will have the work life balance that we want. To be honest it can't be any worse than we've had in the past - DH has averaged 60 hour weeks for several years and his December hours were unmentionable as he would only come home to get clean clothes and a break twice a week!

Probably won't be adding any extra OPs in the near future but fingers crossed by the end of the year we'll be back on the band wagon. For now I'll be happy if we can keep up with the automatic ones I've set up.

I will keep popping in to update when I can. It keeps me focused and every little helps when you're on such a tight budget!

Must go as I've got lots of new spreadsheet to build and play with :j

ickle
    01/05/2020 MORTGAGE FREE
    MFiT-T4 #03 MFW2019 #3
  • fothers365
    fothers365 Posts: 269 Forumite
    Congratulations! I hope the start up all goes smoothly for you and it takes off quickly:):T:T:T
    Jan 2013-£140,231.65
    Jan 2014-£120,081.94
  • gallygirl
    gallygirl Posts: 17,228 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Mortgage-free Glee!
    icklehelen wrote: »
    Not managed to update for a while because . . . .

THE GRAND PLAN HAS BEGUN!!! (finally)dancing-with-joy-smiley-emoticon.gif

So DH and I are now the proud owners of our own business premises!! :j :eek:
    icklehelen wrote: »

Although it's going to be a hard slog and there is LOADS to do to start with we hope that eventually we will have the work life balance that we want. To be honest it can't be any worse than we've had in the past - DH has averaged 60 hour weeks for several years and his December hours were unmentionable as he would only come home to get clean clothes and a break twice a week!

"Puts two and two together and decides Mr Icklehelen is actually Father Christmas and they've just bought a new workshop for the elves" :D.

Congrats, how exciting for you all :T.
    A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort
    :) Mortgage Balance = £0 :)
    "Do what others won't early in life so you can do what others can't later in life"
  • fothers365
    gallygirl wrote: »
    "Puts two and two together and decides Mr Icklehelen is actually Father Christmas and they've just bought a new workshop for the elves" :D.

:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:
    Jan 2013-£140,231.65
    Jan 2014-£120,081.94
  • icklehelen
    gallygirl wrote: »

:rotfl: LOL GG!! Reading that back it does sound like that!! Sadly I am not Mrs Claus ;)

Spent yesterday giving the shop a good clean - still lots to do to get it to the standard we want it but it was a good start!

So in other news -
    We have both requested a payout from TCB - between us that's just over £70. Hoping to be able to OP this but am putting that on hold for now just in case . . . :o

Now that our dream of having our own business is a reality I'm going to start dreaming of Mortgage Freedom . . . in the hope that it will come true sooner than planned :rotfl:

ickle
    01/05/2020 MORTGAGE FREE
    MFiT-T4 #03 MFW2019 #3
  • icklehelen
    I am starting to think HMRCs website is purposefully complicated to make you trip up and consequently have to cough up!!

Have downloaded some free payroll software so I can pay our staff. The reviews were good and with all the money going out at the moment paying for this sort of thing isn't an option! Trying to get my head around the PAYE in Real Time and NICs (I had looked into all of this when DH started hos Freelance Graphic Design business but it seemed much less complicated and there was only him!

On a brighter note my new car is going to save us lots of ££ :D My old one would get about 38mpg in winter and if I was being very careful I could get it to around 43mpg in summer. The new one is a diesel so will need 'running in' but it is already getting 50+mpg. Having said all that the tank is HUGE compared to my old car so to fill it up will be about 3-4 times the cost!! :rotfl:

Back to the new business spreadsheets :smileyhea

ickle
    01/05/2020 MORTGAGE FREE
    MFiT-T4 #03 MFW2019 #3
  • icklehelen
    Phew! What a few weeks we've had here!!!

Very busy with the shop and have spent most of my evenings getting my head around the financial side of things and setting up suppliers etc

We've had a good start (in part thanks to Father's Day but also to some simple changes we have made!) and hoping to build on it! DH was interviewed for a local magazine yesterday - free publicity :T

We had the final letter from the solicitor yesterday with all the last little bits and pieces tied up and a nice cheque returning money we had paid that was not required!

Sorted our house insurance today - ended up with the same insurer as last year but went through TCB where it was £5 cheaper than the renewal and if it tracks that'll be another £45 less!! :cool:
    Noticed I had two transactions go to payable this week - one for the (now cancelled) car insurance on my old car :o and the other for our new bank account that is showing as £0 - I've emailed to find out why I've still not had a response to my lodged claim - will have to wait and see!

We have been invited to a family 'do' this weekend at a rather swish hotel in the North East. Looking forward to it as we haven't all been together for a while. Hoping it won't be too costly - although we only need to get there and buy drinks - the meal and B&B has been paid for us! :D It will be nice to spend time with DH too - any time we've had together has been shop orientated this last few weeks!

Lots to do in the morning so time for bed!

ickle
    01/05/2020 MORTGAGE FREE
    MFiT-T4 #03 MFW2019 #3
  • fothers365
    Have a fantastic weekend away!:beer:
    Jan 2013-£140,231.65
    Jan 2014-£120,081.94
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories