How important is a title?

Options
I'm job hunting and getting nowhere fast. Today a recruiter suggested changing my job titles as they don't accurately reflect my responsibilities. I see his point. I know CV's are looked at quickly and key words should stand out but I don't want to lie! What if I'm offered a job but then the references refer to a different title? I don't want them to think I lied to get the job. Am I being too cautious?

Comments

• Masomnia
    Masomnia Posts: 19,506 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    No I think you're right. If you get a reference with a job title that doesn't sound as good as what you've put down then it looks like you're lying on your CV.
    “I could see that, if not actually disgruntled, he was far from being gruntled.” - P.G. Wodehouse
  • nimbo
    nimbo Posts: 3,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    In some roles I've put down different job titles. Related ones. I remember one form which was a nightmare it would only allow so many characters - so I had to be a little creative when putting them in.

I've never put CEO instead of admin assistant - but I have put information analyst - commissioning - rather than senior information analyst - strategy and service redesign ( which was a team within the commissioning department).

I've never lied - but have in the past 'bigged up' a particular element of a job role. I used to work in a GU department at my local hospital. I worked in reception and was an administrative assistant ( but not called that as they gave roles odd titles - they didn't call cleaners, cleaners - they called them domestics - which the cleaners thought was a hoot). When applying for reception roles I'd call the role reception with admin duties - for admin roles I'd call it admin with reception roles. Neither was a lie.

As long as you don't go for naming all the roles CEO or queen of the world I don't feel a small tweak is wrong - as long as it is recognisable and works to describe the roles so that others get an understanding of what the job was I personally don't think it matters.

Stashbuster - 2014 98/100 - 2015 175/200 - 2016 501 / 500 2017 - 200 / 500 2018 3 / 500
    :T:T
  • Fireflyaway
    Fireflyaway Posts: 2,766 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I won't be putting down more senior titles just trying to find something that sounds quickly recognisable.
    In my last role I supervised a large team carrying out 1-2-1's, back to work interviews, quality monitoring, setting and reviewing stats, handling escalated calls and complaints, managing rotas etc. My job title was senior advisor ( I took calls on a rota basis too) but the responsibilities are more like team leader ones to my mind. Maybe that explains why I always get offers of call centre advisor roles?
    Currently I coordinate a volunteer project but people often think I am the one volunteering. Too often I think people see the title and no more.
  • Gavin83
    Gavin83 Posts: 8,749 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I'm in a similar situation. I have a generic job title (means nothing) but do a very specific job which could be described with a widely recognised job title. I've also been unsure what to put on my CV so I'll watch this thread with interest.
  • clairec79
    clairec79 Posts: 2,512 Forumite
    Options
    For the volunteer work I'd definately put Project Coordinator (then with volunteer in brackets - or in the description)
  • Nathaniel_Essex
    Options
    As long as you don't stray too far from your title or actual responsibilities you should be okay. Back when, I was working for a supermarket but got moved into a CCTV/Security role. However, my job title was still customer assistant as I never officially changed positions, got an increase in pay etc.

When looking for security roles I just put CCTV Operator/General security. Never was a problem when it came to references but if it did come up, I could very comfortably explain the situation.
  • Fireflyaway
    Fireflyaway Posts: 2,766 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    clairec79 wrote: »
    For the volunteer work I'd definately put Project Coordinator (then with volunteer in brackets - or in the description)

Thanks, this is reassuring as I thought project coordinator was a good option too. At present most people think its an unpaid role so it appears I haven't been working for 3 years!
  • General_Grant
    General_Grant Posts: 4,842 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    clairec79 wrote: »

Have I missed the point here?

I understood the person is NOT a volunteer but a paid member of staff who does work in relation to coordinating the work of volunteers.

Better to drop the use of "volunteer" in the title - unless applying for a similar job, of course.

When adding a brief note of the duties involved, that is where to mention that it is co-ordinating (or managing) the work of volunteers.
  • clairec79
    clairec79 Posts: 2,512 Forumite
    Options
    I took it as being a volunteer role (just with a different role) if it's not (which is what it seems) I wouldn't put it in the title at all
  • stuart30
    stuart30 Posts: 499 Forumite
    Options
    As long as you don't stray too far from your title or actual responsibilities you should be okay. Back when, I was working for a supermarket but got moved into a CCTV/Security role. However, my job title was still customer assistant as I never officially changed positions, got an increase in pay etc.

When looking for security roles I just put CCTV Operator/General security. Never was a problem when it came to references but if it did come up, I could very comfortably explain the situation.

Just curious...In house or SIA.?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport