PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Poshed up macaroni cheese.

13»

Comments

• Mine come with variety of whatever is available, but i love to add a good dollop of wholegrain mustard and top it off with a grated cheese and breadcrumb mix.
    I don't like morning people. Or mornings. Or people.
  • cbrown372
    cbrown372 Posts: 1,513 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Pooky wrote: »
    We love ours with gammon and broccoli - I always cook my gammon joints in the slow cooker and save all the bits that are left from cutting up the rest, just enough to add some flavour but not enough to use a whole portion of meat. If I'm making it stretch I might add peas too and some tomatoes on the top and serve with crusty bread for dunking.

Have to say I tend to just have mac and cheese with occasionally added tomato but we will be having some gammon done in the slow cooker for Christmas so will use up the left over gammon, thanks!
    Its not that we have more patience as we grow older, its just that we're too tired to care about all the pointless drama ;)
  • arbrighton
    arbrighton Posts: 2,011 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    maryb wrote: »
    I love adding leeks and bacon to macaroni cheese
    Plus a touch of wholegrain mustard for us
  • I do a baked macaroni cheese, using milk (or cream for a bit of a special treat) and eggs with a generous teaspoon of grain or Dijon mustard, rather than a white/cheese sauce. I also use a few different varieties of cheese, mature cheddar, a little smoked and a stringy cheese such as mozzarella. I use one called Taze Kasar (Turkish) here, but not sure if you can get it in the UK. Layer the pasta and grated cheese, usually two layers of each, in a casserole, pour over milk/egg mix and dot with butter and baked in oven for about 25-30 mins. I do like sliced tomato on the top, and just served with a simple salad and garlic or crusty bread. The addition of smoked cheese takes it to a new level, and you don't need a lot.
  • Callie22
    Callie22 Posts: 3,444 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    I always put mustard in the cheese sauce, but OH's favourite addition is blue cheese and bacon - in fact we'll be having it for dinner tonight with a big salad. I also love grilled tomato on top.
  • Frogletina
    Frogletina Posts: 3,888 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    I love macaroni cheese and love it just as it comes. I made a lovely one the other day with fresh pasta.

In a cafe that I go to they serve it with two slices of a baguette with butter which I think is quite weird, but I still eat them.

I often eat it with chips - ok, so maybe that's weird too, I guess I just love comfort food.

frogletina
    Not Rachmaninov
    But Nyman
    The heart asks for pleasure first
    SPC 8 £1567.31 SPC 9 £1014.64 SPC 10 # £1164.13 SPC 11 £1598.15 SPC 12 # £994.67 SPC 13 £962.54 SPC 14 £1154.79 SPC15 £715.38 SPC16 £1071.81⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐Declutter thread - ⭐⭐🏅
  • jackomdj
    jackomdj Posts: 3,073 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Not poshed up but my girls love it with tuna in.
  • Butternut squash chunks and horseradish in the cheese sauce to counter the richness of the cheese.
    :hello:
  • JIL wrote: »
    I have just seen the advert for Morrisons the best macaroni cheese that had crab in it. I can't say I fancy crab and I am not keen on ready meals.
    It got me thinking how could the humble macaroni cheese be improved?
    I have added mushrooms, bacon, tomatoes, smoked haddock, broccoli (not all at the same time)
    What's your favourites?

sausages, bacon, onions, mushrooms, celery and tomatoes, separately or a mixture, are favourites here
  • also forgot leftover chicken or turkey from roast, bits of meatloaf, peppers, peas.
    I think its safe to say ill chuck most things into it :)

the sauce has to be on the thinner side (to avoid the 'clagginess' from eating it), have mustard and herbs in it and be topped with breadcrumbs to go crispy on top
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure