PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Blockage in fridge drainage

13»

Comments

• I have the same problem and have followed the vinegar and bicarbonate route together with using a curtain wire to no affect. There appears to be a blockage in the drain pipe approx 50mm from the bottom of the drainage pipe on my LEC T5038W, I cannot get to the bottom of the pipe because of the water container. Does anybody have any further ideas?
  • Apologies for thread necromancy :o, but it comes up in a google search and adding to the thread seemed sane :-)

Techniques that have worked for us:

Use a can of compressed air rather than blowing down straws. You can wrap kitchen roll around the tube as it enters the hole to ensure a good seal. Given the amount of black gunk that gets blown out and the position of the hole I have no idea how people are blowing by mouth :)

A syringe (we use a 50ml one) can be used to suck up the water that has collected above the blockage (used to use up loads of kitchen roll to soak it up). As with the compressed air, it can also be used as a plunger to blow any blockage through the tube. Just ensure you have an airtight seal around the hole, and pull and push on the syringe to suck/blow the blockage.

Am definitely going to try the vinegar/bicarb idea though :-)
  • Duly saved this thread - as I think I might be getting the same problem - and it's a pretty new fridge too:mad:
  • Siebrie
    Siebrie Posts: 2,887
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    Make sure nothing touches the back of the fridge, as tiny bits will slide down into the gunk hole and block it. Milk cartons, for instance, are a known culprit.
    Are you wombling, too, in '22? € 58,96 = £ 52.09Wombling in Restrictive Times (2021) € 2.138,82 = £ 1,813.15Wombabeluba 2020! € 453,22 = £ 403.842019's wi-wa-wombles € 2.244,20 = £ 1,909.46Wombling to wealth 2018 € 972,97 = £ 879.54Still a womble 2017 #25 € 7.116,68 = £ 6,309.50Wombling Free 2016 #2 € 3.484,31 = £ 3,104.59
  • I have to say this is the most satisfying thing I’ve ever done!! How sad is that?! Pushed 4 straws together, shoved some vinegar and bicarb down the hole, blew down the straws and them OMG I can’t tell you how much black gunk flew out, I repeated it 4 or 5 times and fingers crossed it will work! Sick of the bottom of my fridge swimming in stagnant water. Thankyou!!
  • I have a Hoover fridge freezer that keeps clogging up 10 cm from bottom of drain hole at the back of freezer. At first I thought it was clogged with food waste,but after pushing wire from both directions,I found it was far to hard for food and gunk. The problem is a plug if ice that forms at the bottom because of bad design is to close to refrigerator coolant pipes. Solution was to carefully remove backing and foam insulation,and trace up to blocked area. Remove insulation and pull back drain pipe away from freezer back. Be careful not to damage metal coolant pipe that runs near the area which is the cause of problem. I used a Stanley knife and screwdriver to dig out the surrounding foam don't forget to turn freezer off first.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback