SL payments when abroad - just pay default?

Hi guys,

I have landed a job abroad where the threashold for repayments is £9480. My wage would mean I would pay more than the £147.60 default payment.

My first question is can I just pay the default payment to keep them happy? If so how would I go about this?

Secondly how would the SLC ever find out my wage given only £700 is paid in GBP and the rest in local currency? Do they have the power to snoop around into accounts, ISA's etc?

I don't want to dodge the repayments but it is hard to establish an exact wage when accomodation, tax etc is sorted by my employer. I know my NET salary but if i start adding perks etc 9% over £9480 will hit me hard and defeat the point in moving abroad to save.

Thanks in advance :p

Comments

• Voyager2002
    Voyager2002 Posts: 15,277 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    The rules are the same whether you work in the UK or abroad: you need to give them full details of the 'package' you receive, and allow them to work out the payments.
  • So how do I fall back to default payments? In the UK they know my wage via PAYE but abroad they can't see anything.
  • Fire_Fox
    Fire_Fox Posts: 26,026 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    http://www.studentloanrepayment.co.uk/portal/page?_pageid=93,6678653&_dad=portal&_schema=PORTAL

If you complete forms incorrectly that may be deemed fraud, not a risk I would want to take. I am sure loads of overseas workers get accommodation as well as a salary, SLC will be well aware of that little dodge.
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/personalfinance/expat-money/9287346/Student-loan-could-land-you-in-court-if-you-move-overseas.html
    Declutterbug-in-progress.⭐️⭐️⭐️ ⭐️⭐️
  • I'm not too worried about that, my payments would be near on 350 a month! That's not hapenning, I am willing to pay but they state a default and I just want to know how I get to that. Seems silly to just not inform them so I can pay the 149 odd.
  • agrinnall
    agrinnall Posts: 23,344 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Your attitude to the contractual obligations you have with SLC seems to be 'out of sight, out of mind'. Pay what you agreed to pay when you took out the loan or face the consequences.
  • I would not say "out of sight, out of mind" as I am willing to pay and not just say I am travelling or worse ignore them. However can we keep morality out of this thread and focus on SLC default payments please.

I guess this is made simpler by asking "How does one get allocated the default monthly payments of £147.60 by the SLC?"

Is it just if you make no contact with them and they eventually find you, you will have to pay the backlog of missed months at this default amount, plus some "finder fee"?

Or can I tell them I am off abroad and the destination and just make payments of £147.60 and everyone is happy?

The SLC does not make it clear when and to whom this default amount is applied.
  • bmouthboyo wrote: »
    However can we keep morality out of this thread and focus on SLC default payments please.

But you are asking advice on how to defraud an organisation.

OK you may not be permenantly defrauding the SLC but whether its on a temporary or permenant basis, which ever way you look at it, its fraud.

So as they say on Dragon's Den....I'm out.
    2014 Target;
    To overpay CC by £1,000.
    Overpayment to date : £310

2nd Purse Challenge:
    £15.88 saved to date
  • agrinnall
    agrinnall Posts: 23,344 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    I'm with mountainofdebt on this, it's you that has brought your lack of morality into the thread so it's a bit much for you to tell us not to mention it. Anyway, I'm also out now.
  • But you are asking advice on how to defraud an organisation.

OK you may not be permenantly defrauding the SLC but whether its on a temporary or permenant basis, which ever way you look at it, its fraud.

So as they say on Dragon's Den....I'm out.

As clearly stated above, the focus of this thread is how one gets allocated the default payments. I like to equip myself with all the facts before I make decisions. I never said I will commit fraud, I simply want to know whenthe default amount is applied. :money:
  • amiehall
    amiehall Posts: 1,363 Forumite
    I have also always wondered what these default amounts were and what purpose they serve. Does anyone actually know?
    Sealed Pot Challenge #239
    Virtual Sealed Pot #131
    Save 12k in 2014 #98 £3690/£6000
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills