What to do? DRO or IVA

hmczippy
hmczippy Posts: 19 Forumite
edited 10 July 2017 at 4:41PM in IVA & DRO
Hi Everyone

I am due to speak to Step Change having completed an online assessment. I currently qualify for a DRO, having only £24 left after basic essentials. I am only temping at the moment however I am looking for permanent work on a salary that will hopefully increase my income to £200 more a month. Although my circumstances haven't changed YET, I am nervous about going for a DRO because they are likely to change. I rent privately and I am expecting my landlord to increase the rent in October by £100. If this happens then it will leave me with £124 left a month which means I won't qualify for a DRO.

So that leaves me with the option of an IVA? Should I go for the IVA straight away or risk the DRO option and hope that I only have less than £50 left over in 12 months time?

What would my IVA repayments likely be? I obviously can't afford much at the moment.

My debt is £15,000

Thank you

Comments

• As far as I am aware you need to have reasonably high surplus available for IVA. Remember, once you start work, your expenses will probably go up too ;)
  • sourcrates
    sourcrates Posts: 28,876 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Keep temping for a year, do the DRO, get rid of your debt, then look for better work.

It's only 12 months, you don't want to be tied down to an IVA for 6 years, at present you would not qualify for the IVA anyway, as you could not afford the payments.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free wannabe, Credit file and ratings, and Bankruptcy and living with it boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.Link to SOA Calculator- https://www.stoozing.com/soa.php The "provit letter" is here-https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/2607247/letter-when-you-know-nothing-about-about-the-debt-aka-prove-it-letter
  • National_Debtline
    National_Debtline Posts: 7,998 Organisation Representative
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Hi hmczippy

It’s very important to think about how your circumstances may change before entering into a DRO. If you think there is a good chance you won’t meet all of the DRO conditions for the 12 months it lasts it is unlikely to be your best option. Should the DRO fail you will not be allowed to apply for another one for 6 years.

It also doesn’t sound like you will qualify for an IVA right now as you don’t have enough spare money available. Another option could be to start by self negotiating reduced payments and a freeze on interest, wait until you find permanent work and then reassess your situation. Good luck with the job hunt.

Susie
    @natdebtline
    We work as money advisers for National Debtline and have specific permission from MSE to post to try to help those in debt. Read more information on National Debtline in MSE's Debt Problems: What to do and where to get help guide. If you find you're struggling with debt and need further help try our online advice tool My Money Steps
  • hmczippy
    hmczippy Posts: 19 Forumite
    Wonderful advice, thank you. I really didn't want to enter into an IVA anyway. My credit rating is shot to pieces, so a DRO would be fine. I will have a think about reducing payments for now to see how my employment gets on or go for the DRO. To be honest I've had these debts for so many years and they've not shifted so a DRO does seem like my best option.
  • fatbelly
    fatbelly Posts: 20,485 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Cashback Cashier
    I agree with you. If there's no reason to fear insolvency, try a DRO.

The worst outcome would be that it gets revoked. You would have lost £90 but still have had protection from enforcement for X plus 3 months (you normally get notification of revocation).

I guess the only thing you need to take into account is that if you do need another DRO in 6 years you would not be able to get one.
  • Do DRO and temp for 12 months. Why drag something out for 5yr.
  • Hi All

Just looking at options if dro fails. Whats the min payment accepted for IVA on debts of around £14k. Can an IVA be done with monthly payments of £50. I am getting so desperate i dont care if i can get my debts wrote off or have to pay, i just need a solution asap before i have a mental breakdown. Im pregnant and not eating or sleeping, i cannot carry on like this for another few months.
  • National_Debtline
    Hi debtdepressed

I'm really sorry to hear how stressful you're finding things. Please try and make sure you look after yourself, that's always the most important thing to do regardless of debts.

Can I ask why you think your DRO might fail? It sounds like it's your best option based on your level of debt and surplus. Have you had a change in circumstances? £50 would not be enough for you to qualify for an IVA I'm afraid.

You can always contact one of the free debt advice agencies to discuss your options but you may also find you get a few more responses if you start a new thread.

Susie
    @nationaldebtline
    We work as money advisers for National Debtline and have specific permission from MSE to post to try to help those in debt. Read more information on National Debtline in MSE's Debt Problems: What to do and where to get help guide. If you find you're struggling with debt and need further help try our online advice tool My Money Steps
  • Thanks for your reply.

Ignore me i was having a moment. Im going ahead with a dro and if that fails i will deal with that then!
    Conflicting information regarding beneficial interst thats all, i wouldnt even beable to scrape together 50 a month anyway and i dont want to commit to something i cannot afford. Something i have learned. Yes i have spoken to NDL already but it wasnt a intermediary about beneficial interst. They give good advice but cannot answer my question as it needs to be a intermediary which i believe is 9 weeks wait from when my application is submitted.
  • National_Debtline
    Hi there again

We all get those moments, I hope you’re feeling a bit better. There is a queue for DRO applications at National Debtline so you can always try a different intermediary.

Beneficial interest can be complicated area but an intermediary should not put you forward for a DRO without fully explaining any risks there may be to your application being refused. They will need to guide you on the ins and outs of beneficial interest and DROs and you can then make a decision from there. I certainly hope it all goes well for you.

Susie
    @natdebltine
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure