We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.

Fast growing plants n shrubs

candygirl
candygirl Posts: 29,455 Forumite
Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
Hi
I'm having my garden done soon, n need fast growing , colourful plants n shrubs to fill a corner.Any ideas of any plants or shrubs that are non toxic to dogs? I'm clueless :rotfl:
"You can't stop the waves, but you can learn to surf"

(Kabat-Zinn 2004):D:D:D

Comments

• System
    System Posts: 178,093 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    is it a sunny area or shaded?

how big is the corner?

do you want more shrubs than flowers?

do you want low maintenance or don't mind a bit of effort?
  • candygirl
    candygirl Posts: 29,455 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    is it a sunny area or shaded?

how big is the corner?

do you want more shrubs than flowers?

do you want low maintenance or don't mind a bit of effort?

It's about 12ft by 12ft, mostly shaded .I want low maintenance shrubs, both evergreen and colourful.Thanks for your reply ☺
    "You can't stop the waves, but you can learn to surf"

(Kabat-Zinn 2004):D:D:D
  • System
    If you want evergreen and colourful then i would suggest Azaleas, Rhododendrons, Camelias, Hydrangeas. All very low maintenance and colourful starting in spring through to summer.
  • Farway
    Farway Posts: 13,199 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    If you want evergreen and colourful then i would suggest Azaleas, Rhododendrons, Camelias, Hydrangeas. All very low maintenance and colourful starting in spring through to summer.

Good choices but may not be "easy choice" for OP who confesses to being "clueless"

3 of the choices require acidic conditions. I do not know where OP lives but may be in hard water area and thus watering will be forever causing problems with lime

I cannot think of other choices at the moment, why not try RHS plant finder to help narrow it down ?
    Eight out of ten owners who expressed a preference said their cats preferred other peoples gardens
  • System
    bit of ericaeous compost now and then should help keep the balance. Just thinking they require no pruning and grow fairly quick but not so much that it would cause issues
  • Davesnave
    Davesnave Posts: 34,741 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    bit of ericaeous compost now and then should help keep the balance. Just thinking they require no pruning and grow fairly quick but not so much that it would cause issues

Sorry, but if it's a really lime-y area that won't work. Used to live in Bath, where you don't see many plants requiring ericaceous conditions, except in Homebase! :rotfl:

Real shade, mainly evergreen, non-toxic and and shrubs for colour is a big ask.

Ignoring the toxicity, because it needs investigation, off the top of my head that's mahonia, garrya, viburnum tinus, berberis darwinii, euonymus, hypericum (maybe) osmanthus burkwoodii....Now I'm stuck! Oh, a fuchsia or two, but not evergreen, nor is hypericum.
  • juliesname
    juliesname Posts: 53 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Don't know about the toxicity, but I suggest these:
    Shrubs - Skimmia, Choisya, Pieris
    Bulbs - Chionodoxa, bluebells
    Perennials - herbaceous geraniums, schizostylis, Japanese anemones. Forget-me-nots biennial but will self-seed.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure