First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    edited 10 June 2017 at 2:47PM
    Linton wrote: »
    The reference suggests the following for a UK investor in early retirement:

Domestic stocks : 10% using a FTSE100 or FTSE All Share tracker
    World Stocks: 30%
    Intermediate term bonds: 30% VGOV, a UK Gilt ETF is suggested
    Inflation protected securities: 30% eg ICVC an IShares UK index linked gilt tracker

Is this a sensible portfolio for someone with a drawdown portfolio? Is this appropriate advice for an inexperienced investor? What would happen to an IFA who recommended such a portfolio? Discuss!

First question:

How will having 60% of your portfolio in UK Gov Bond funds contribute the return to sustain a 3.5% drawdown? At current gilt prices the non inflation linked bonds are showing yields to maturity in 2027 of under 1%. Index linked bonds are showing negative real (ie relative to inflation) yields to maturity, assuming average inflation is 3%.

The sample portfolios aren't good and have not been translated appropriately for a UK investor. I don't like them, as I pointed out, however, it does describe some funds that could be used to construct a portfolio.....I would far rather see the OP in a VLS fund and paying 0.24% than paying 1.75% in fund and advisor fees; 50% of your income as overhead is ridiculous.

The OP obviously wants to learn.....being on this forum proves that. IMHO the first thing to learn is that spending half of your potential income in overhead is not a good thing.
    “So we beat on, boats against the current, borne back ceaselessly into the past.”
  • TBC15
    TBC15 Posts: 1,446
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Forumite
    The sample portfolios aren't good and have not been translated appropriately for a UK investor. I don't like them, as I pointed out, however, it does describe some funds that could be used to construct a portfolio.....I would far rather see the OP in a VLS fund and paying 0.24% than paying 1.75% in fund and advisor fees; 50% of your income as overhead is ridiculous.

The OP obviously wants to learn.....being on this forum proves that. IMHO the first thing to learn is that spending half of your potential income in overhead is not a good thing.

Please stop giving advice to UK investors if you don’t know what you are talking about.

Yes I do know you like trackers.

Yes getting platform fees low is important.

Yes I do own a tracker, out of shear laziness and following the mantra diversify.

The OP should be looking at £32000 drawdown based on not too much thinking.
  • bostonerimus
    bostonerimus Posts: 5,617
    Forumite
    edited 10 June 2017 at 4:45PM
    TBC15 wrote: »
    Please stop giving advice to UK investors if you don’t know what you are talking about.

Yes I do know you like trackers.

Yes getting platform fees low is important.

Yes I do own a tracker, out of shear laziness and following the mantra diversify.

The OP should be looking at £32000 drawdown based on not too much thinking.

The thing with forums is you have to take the good with the bad.
    I agree with some of your comments, but not the drawdown level you are proposing. particularly in the UK and obviously with the OPs current fees around 14k would be spent on overhead rather than actual living.

The essence of my response to the OP is that 28k is a sensible initial withdrawal level from a 800k portfolio invested in a diversified portfolio of 60 % stocks and 40% bonds if you want to fund a 30 year retirement, but paying 14k of that 28k in IFA and fund/platform fees is not very sensible at all.
    “So we beat on, boats against the current, borne back ceaselessly into the past.”
  • TBC15
    Forumite
    The thing with forums is you have to take the good with the bad.
    I agree with some of your comments, but not the drawdown level you are proposing. particularly in the UK and obviously with the OPs current fees around 14k would be spent on overhead rather than actual living.

The essence of my response to the OP is that 28k is a sensible initial withdrawal level from a 800k portfolio invested in a diversified portfolio of 60 % stocks and 40% bonds if you want to fund a 30 year retirement, but paying 14k of that 28k to an IFA and in fees is not very sensible at all.

My apologies £14000 fees are indeed well above what I would feel comfortable with.
  • bostonerimus
    Forumite
    TBC15 wrote: »
    My apologies £14000 fees are indeed well above what I would feel comfortable with.

Very kind, but not necessary. I will tend to make some specific errors as I have not lived in the UK for so long and maybe a bit too much Yankee brashness has rubbed off on me in 30 years. But sometimes the perspective of an outsider can be useful to shake up the status quo ......
  • GSP
    GSP Posts: 883
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Thanks for the continued advice guys.
    Does anyone have 5 years worth of performance data for the funds they invest in or mentioned above.
    Would like to see how these compare in the different risk portfolios. Assume any equity based funds have the wildest swings.

Linton, if possible would be good to see the performance for the last 5 years mix of those funds you mentioned.

That does appear to be a lot of money, £14k. As you know I am starting on a journey, not clued up with a lot to learn. I think for now I will stay with this now just to get off the blocks. The knowledge will come and in a years time imagine I will have learnt a lot. If things "turn out okay", I may stay where I am but may look into ways of getting the fees down. Could put the feelers out to other IFA's to see how they compare then go back to mine to see if he is willing to come down, after a good year for him!
    Is it easy to move to another IFA if I need to? Obviously if I feel comfortable at some point I may go it alone, but its a new wide world to learn in pensions, so will leave my trust in the experts for now.
  • CFrog
    CFrog Posts: 86
    First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    I'd have a look at https://www.trustnet.com. You can look at discrete performance of 100's of funds / trusts etc and then 'build' your own portfolios and look at asset allocation, performance etc etc.
  • Linton
    Linton Posts: 17,066
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Hung up my suit!
    Forumite
    Look on https://www.trustnet.com for all the data you may want on funds. There is a good charting tool in tools/charting.
  • TBC15
    Forumite
    edited 11 June 2017 at 2:08AM
    Trustnet.com is also good for setting up what if portfolios and see how they get on.

I’ve been tracking my own portfolios for years on this site.

It’s also an excellent place to check on the performance and track record of fund managers.
  • bostonerimus
    Forumite
    edited 11 June 2017 at 2:12AM
    GSP wrote: »
    Thanks for the continued advice guys.
    Does anyone have 5 years worth of performance data for the funds they invest in or mentioned above.
    Would like to see how these compare in the different risk portfolios. Assume any equity based funds have the wildest swings.

Linton, if possible would be good to see the performance for the last 5 years mix of those funds you mentioned.

I haven't worried about performance for 25 years. My investments have just tracked large indexes and they return what they return. My portfolio and my blood pressure have gone in different directions,
    50% of my allocation is to the US domestic equity market, because I live in the US....so that's not right for someone in the UK. But here's the US equity fund and it's performance....the part I like best is 0.04% fees.

http://www.morningstar.com/funds/xnas/vtsax/quote.html

Take a look at

http://www.vanguard.co.uk

They have a clear website and it's a good place to start. They have a limited range of services, no SIPPs etc yet, but would be a good option for you to invest some of your inheritances and non pension funds. Look at their Life Strategy funds and use them to understand asset allocation. Also look at the other platform sites and click around reading their intros and get comfortable with the different flavors of funds the charges and how the data is presented.
    The more you learn the more tools you will have to see if you like the job your IFA is doing and maybe eventually DIY. Best of luck.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure