Tesco wrong prices thread part 4 - please post your finds here

Comments

• BritBrat
    BritBrat Posts: 3,764 Forumite
    Found this but does anyone have same sort of thing for the EAN 13 code?

Think I may have found it:
    The only difference between a UPC-A symbol and an EAN-13 symbol is that the number system code is 2-digits long in EAN-13 as opposed to 1 digit in UPC-A. Visually, the human-readable check digit is placed below the barcode instead of to the right of it, but this does not make any difference, technically speaking, regarding the encoding itself.

http://www.barcodeisland.com/ean13.phtml

Background Information:

A bar code is a series of black bars and white spaces of varying widths that are printed on labels to identify items. A scanner is used to decode the bar code. The scanner measures the reflected light and interprets the code as numbers and letters that are passed to a computer.

To make decoding bar codes easier, think of every bar (black stripe) as being a 1, and every space, (white strip) as being a 0.

A UPC-A barcode starts on the left with “bar-space-bar” (101). This is the signal for the scanner to start reading, and it lets the scanner know the width of the binary digits within the symbol. The set of long bars that follows is the first digit of the barcode. This digit identifies the type of product.

The next five digits identify the manufacturer. This is called the left field. All of the products made by the same manufacturer have the same code in the left field.

The long bars in the middle separate the left field from the right field. They are called the center guard. These long lines represent the digits 01010.

The next set of bars is called the right field. This code also has five characters.

The long bars at the end contain the signal to stop reading (101), as well as to check the sum. This sum allows the scanner to check and see if all the other numbers are correct.

barcode_index.gif

http://www.nasaexplores.com/show_912_teacher_st.php?id=030107120211
    bylromarha wrote:
    I worked out that on the fresh prepacked stuff the last digits bar one on the barcode are the price you will pay for the product. The last digit is randomly generated. The first 6 digits are the code for the type of product you're buying.

Looks like you are right and TESCO use the last digits for price and do not reflect the actual product and the left side equals the product and not the manufacturer.

Could others have a look at some products and see if you agree with that.
  • The barcode always used to contain the price when I worked at Safeway. Should be the same everywhere.
  • halifax
    halifax Posts: 241 Forumite
    Just a little note also:-

The last 3 digits of the item code are used on all vouchers to show the discount to deduct, check any voucher including ones issued for extra clubcard points.

Amazing what you learn at the University of Tesco.
    Watch out for Freddie the Fox at the Shay !!
  • kremmen
    kremmen Posts: 744 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    The following applies to Tesco

On variable weight fresh foods (eg Meat joints) and not fixed weight stuff (eg 200g cheese). the digits before the check digit (as shown below) show the TOTAL price of the item the 1st 3 digits show the dept (Bakery could be 023 and provisions 021..not sure exactly which is which).The next 4 digits show the individual product (eg pork chop may be 1210 and pork loin 1211).

Don't ask about about any other numbers.

On the shelf edge label there should be 2 numbers (tesco procuct No as well as EAN ) However I think that the Ean on Variable weight products might just show the dept code and item code followed by zeros eg 0211210000000
    but I would have to check when I am next at work

Paul
    BritBrat wrote:
    Found this but does anyone have same sort of thing for the EAN 13 code?

Think I may have found it:

http://www.barcodeisland.com/ean13.phtml

Background Information:

A bar code is a series of black bars and white spaces of varying widths that are printed on labels to identify items. A scanner is used to decode the bar code. The scanner measures the reflected light and interprets the code as numbers and letters that are passed to a computer.

To make decoding bar codes easier, think of every bar (black stripe) as being a 1, and every space, (white strip) as being a 0.

A UPC-A barcode starts on the left with “bar-space-bar” (101). This is the signal for the scanner to start reading, and it lets the scanner know the width of the binary digits within the symbol. The set of long bars that follows is the first digit of the barcode. This digit identifies the type of product.

The next five digits identify the manufacturer. This is called the left field. All of the products made by the same manufacturer have the same code in the left field.

The long bars in the middle separate the left field from the right field. They are called the center guard. These long lines represent the digits 01010.

The next set of bars is called the right field. This code also has five characters.

The long bars at the end contain the signal to stop reading (101), as well as to check the sum. This sum allows the scanner to check and see if all the other numbers are correct.

barcode_index.gif

http://www.nasaexplores.com/show_912_teacher_st.php?id=030107120211

Looks like you are right and TESCO use the last digits for price and do not reflect the actual product and the left side equals the product and not the manufacturer.

Could others have a look at some products and see if you agree with that.
  • BritBrat
    BritBrat Posts: 3,764 Forumite
    Thank's for the follow up posts, if we can understand the codes and how they are used we will be in a better position to argue our case when they use the excuse about it not being the same code.

We may even be able to tell if the price is going to be wrong before you get to the checkout or scanner.
    On variable weight fresh foods (eg Meat joints) and not fixed weight stuff (eg 200g cheese). the digits before the check digit (as shown below) show the TOTAL price of the item the 1st 3 digits show the dept (Bakery could be 023 and provisions 021..not sure exactly which is which).The next 4 digits show the individual product (eg pork chop may be 1210 and pork loin 1211).

I see what you are saying, it can't have a price code because it gets that information after being weighed and uses the first lot of code to detect the product and price per weight from the database.
  • Kenny4315
    Kenny4315 Posts: 1,133 Forumite
    In my quick 5 min visit to the local Mr T, couldn't see anything mispriced. Mainly due to the fact very few labels left, or out of stock labels (corn fed chickens). The duck has a sticker saying £2.71kg discontinued, but ain't that 3 of the little quackers there in the shelf (at £2.71kg) I thinks. Obviously Mr T's have had so many pricing errors that its sent there labellers quackers as well as the ducks. :rotfl: There must be someone sitting in head office thinking of ways to get them out of this mess without it costing them too much, and without the embarassment of saying the policy is now finished, but why ? well it cost us to much cash. :D You can hardly claim a refund if the product is discontinued. :rolleyes: Nice try Mr T's but we have ways of making you pay !!! :rolleyes: ;)

Did manage to lose my cherry on the JOEY vouchers though, :D (ASDA finesse BOGOF), used one on a £6.05 shop on bread and milk, £3 off. Seems to me the vouchers a matter of luck as there seems to be no hard and fast policy.
  • paul2louise
    paul2louise Posts: 2,416 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    i was in my tesco store leicester(b.leys) and an assistant told me as i was looking at shower gel to buy the nivea shower cream. It is on bogof at £2.49 but when you buy 4 you get £7.96 of the bill so 4bottles for £2.

I dont know if it is the same all round the country but its worth a try

Louise
  • 2nd successful shopping trip for mispriced items. I reckon this hobby could be addictive !! it was 7.20am I was on the way to the office and decided to just quickly pop into my local Tesco. Organic steak price on shelf £12.99 pack price £14.99, bought 4 packs and medium cheddar still mispriced despite my 1st refund last week so had 3 packs. Total refunds £24.50. The only cashier on at that time refused to take all my coupons insisting I could only use the one for the largest amount. Still on the look out for the ducks and considering getting a bigger freezer .........
    ;) I am the only Voucher Queen in my village LOL ;)
  • coolio_2
    coolio_2 Posts: 1,408 Forumite
    nightsong wrote:
    Not sure if this has been posted before. Bacon joints in Tesco at Broadstairs, Kent were £3.42/kilo on shelf, £3.44 on pack. There were shelf tickets missing all over the place, I think someone had got there before me - smoked salmon, beef, etc.

Anyway,the girl at customer service couldn't grasp what I was saying at all. Because the packs were just under one kilo in weight, the prices were £3.21 and £3.29. She kept saying, "but you've been charged less than £3.44, look!".
    Eventually the reinforcements arrived. Paul the meat manager, or something, tried to give me half my money back :confused: When I pointed out the sign he folded straight away. Why don't they just do it nicely? It only makes me more determined to find more bargains!

I know, theres a new metro opened nr work and a paticular woman in there always issues just the price difference then gets a bit rough with the food when i ask nicely for a full refund
  • randan
    randan Posts: 393 Forumite
    Got some Organic Steak, Gammon Joints and Quattros tonight and managed to use a Joey, 2 x Quattro and some other smaller coupons so quite a good haul.

They are starting to recognise me now and they are running out of mis-priced items anyway so I may have to revert back to Asda to restock my Joeys and use up some of my Quattros.

This is becoming addictive as the savings mount up and up and up !!!!
    Your really can not beat a good bargain !!!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure