Will new S Pension cause resentment?

Comments

• seven-day-weekend
    seven-day-weekend Posts: 36,755 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    edited 18 October 2016 at 7:03AM
    Doesn't affect me or my husband, as we are both already drawing full SRP and Occupational Pensions (qualification for SRP 39 years for me and 30 years for him)- but am I correct in thinking that anyone retiring under the new rules will get their Occ Pension docked off the £155 - so that theoretically they could get £0 SRP? Please tell me I am wrong!
    (AKA HRH_MUngo)
    Member #10 of £2 savers club
    Imagine someone holding forth on biology whose only knowledge of the subject is the Book of British Birds, and you have a rough idea of what it feels like to read Richard Dawkins on theology: Terry Eagleton
  • Linton
    Linton Posts: 17,160 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Hung up my suit!
    Doesn't affect me or my husband, as we are both already drawing full SRP and Occupational Pensions (qualification for SRP 39 years for me and 30 years for him)- but am I correct in thinking that anyone retiring under the new rules will get their Occ Pension docked off the £155 - so that theoretically they could get £0 SRP? Please tell me I am wrong!

In general occupational pensions are not affected by the state pension. A few Defined Benefit schemes have the possibly optional feature that the payments are adjusted over time so that extra is paid before state pension age and less afterwards keeping total income constant. It's not docking, it could just as well be seen as additional payment prior to SPA. How this works will be determined by the scheme rules but it seems reasonable that as state pension age and rates increase the adjustment is changed accordingly.
  • jamesd
    jamesd Posts: 26,103 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    am I correct in thinking that anyone retiring under the new rules will get their Occ Pension docked off the £155 - so that theoretically they could get £0 SRP? Please tell me I am wrong!
    You're wrong. The foundation amount calculation will use old rules and new rules and give the highest of the two. That will be old rules for a person who was contracted out a lot and if they have 30 years they would get the full basic state pension level plus a bit more for the time in S2P rather than SERPS.

A private workplace pension probably has more than just the NI rebate money in it so deducting the whole amount would be excessive even without that handling.

From 6 April 2016 no workplace schemes are still contracted out so the issue doesn't arise in the future: the foundation amount will be a reliable statement of what the starting point is under the flat rate system and future years will add to that.
  • jamesd
    jamesd Posts: 26,103 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    OldBeanz wrote: »
    Presumably some of those affected will be those public servants who retire this financial year on £120 pa while those retiring in 7 years time will receive £155 or be able to pay contributions to reach that amount.
    Yes, no time for those just about to retire to get the extra benefit. Optimal for this case is being just young enough to get to the flat rate cap level.
  • fredandwilma
    fredandwilma Posts: 1,251 Forumite
    Chutzpah Haggler I won, I won, I won! Rampant Recycler Debt-free and Proud!
    edited 18 October 2016 at 8:26AM
    Ok I'm confused now, I had researched my position and read that those currently in their 50's & 60's who have paid higher levels of NI and therefore qualified for additional state pensinon would be able to keep their entitlement under the rules of 'protected payments' :huh:
    bowlhead99 wrote: »
    It is true, the extra pension you have from paying higher levels of NI (the serps/s2p type stuff) may give you a higher "starting amount" versus the new method at April of this year, and if it does, you can keep the high starting amount.

However, my situation which will not be uncommon is that I've paid higher levels of NI, nd under the old system those higher levels of NI *would* have helped me get to well over £155 assuming I carried on working and carried on paying into the system. However, I'm a long way from my 50s or 60s and haven't exceeded the magic £155ish figure yet. I'm only around low 120s based on a forecast a while back that didn't include 2015/6.

So when I get my "starting amount"which is the higher of old system and new system it gives me low 120s. Then in a few years of paying NI going forward from now, (accruing 1/35th of 155 for each year worked), I will be in my mid to late 40s and have already got to the £155 maximum and then it will stop accruing, even though I have another 20 years of paying NI on a hopefully high salary, to go before I reach state retirement age.

If I was older and my "higher of new system and old system" had already got to £200+, they wouldn't take that away from me and I could keep it. But instead, I was perhaps "well on course" to get that level but now I'm not allowed, I can only accrue flat rate - with no premium for high NI payments - until I hit the limiter and then I stop.

I even have a couple of missed years from when I was out of the country working overseas, but it's not worth bothering filling out any paperwork to try to claim the missed years under a reciprocal arrangement, or paying out any cash to simply "buy them back", as I have no need for them, as I'll already be at £155 with 20 years to go.

In terms of what that "costs" me: under the old system I could have had £50-100 extra per week for the same lifetime contributions. £50-100 per week from retirement age 67 to 97 is in the order of £78-155k. Ow.

By contrast, there are some people who have been contracted out, paying lower NI contributions all their lives while their excess NI money was buying them a sweet personal or employer pension on the side. They might be at around £110 a week now under the "best of both methods" rules, and their NI over the next decade is allowed to accrue them 1/35th of £155 each working year, even on a relatively low salary, until they max out at the £155 level like me. But they have an entirely separate pension pot on the side that was funded by contracting out and paying discounted NI rates.

So, clearly there are winners and losers under the new transitional arrangements as we move to a new system that is worse for high earners and better for low earners and various special interest groups, but overall apparently broadly cost-neutral for the country.

I wouldn't pin too much hope on the rules of "protected payments." It seems they no longer exist, certainly in my case, from what i understand, speaking to Her Majesty's government.

I can now confirm i will receive my £155.65 (or equivalent) per week and no more, despite paying higher levels of NI for most of my working life. What a waste of money, from my perspective, (although I've supported the country, as a whole.) What a shame i wasn't born just a few years earlier. But as it's been said, there will always be winners and losers.

By the time i would collect my SP, i will have accrued 50 years of NI contributions, which is essentially the governments target, in my opinion.

I'm no better off than someone who has never worked, in terms of my SP. Do i regret working hard from a young age? You can't turn back the clock with regrets. But i do feel a sense of sadness i wouldn't have the health or the income to enjoy a retirement the way i had hoped. I had hoped to become a volunteer too.

I'm done thinking about pensions now. It's only confirmed what i expected. Back to the here and now.
    Fred - Where's your get up and go?

Barney - It just got up and went.

Carpe diem
  • I wouldn't pin too much hope on the rules of "protected payments." It seems they no longer exist, certainly in my case, from what i understand, speaking to Her Majesty's government.

I can now confirm i will receive my £155.65 (or equivalent) per week and no more, despite paying higher levels of NI for most of my working life. What a waste of money, from my perspective, (although I've supported the country, as a whole.) What a shame i wasn't born just a few years earlier. But as it's been said, there will always be winners and losers.

By the time i would collect my SP, i will have accrued 50 years of NI contributions, which is essentially the governments target, in my opinion.

I'm no better off than someone who has never worked, in terms of my SP. Do i regret working hard from a young age? You can't turn back the clock with regrets. But i do feel a sense of sadness i wouldn't have the health or the income to enjoy a retirement the way i had hoped. I had hoped to become a volunteer too.

I'm done thinking about pensions now. It's only confirmed what i expected. Back to the here and now.

That is so unfair, imho.:mad::mad:
    (AKA HRH_MUngo)
    Member #10 of £2 savers club
    Imagine someone holding forth on biology whose only knowledge of the subject is the Book of British Birds, and you have a rough idea of what it feels like to read Richard Dawkins on theology: Terry Eagleton
  • fredandwilma
    fredandwilma Posts: 1,251 Forumite
    Chutzpah Haggler I won, I won, I won! Rampant Recycler Debt-free and Proud!
    That is so unfair, imho.:mad::mad:

Well, it's true, isn't it? :o

Do i regret who i am / was, as a person.

I was a bit of a workaholic, (although i was never a "high" earner,) I'm known as a grafter, you can't change the person you are. I paid higher rates of NI thinking it would benefit my state pension.

Yes, i do have regrets, and to anyone i would say :

Don't spend all your life focusing on work. I know we live in a consumerist society these days, we have to survive, pay the bills etc, but take time out to enjoy those things which matter to you whilst you can, be it family, leisure time, etc. Those are the things which are most important in life, especially time with your family.

Yes, plan for the future, but things may change along the way, over which we have no control.
    Fred - Where's your get up and go?

Barney - It just got up and went.

Carpe diem
  • atush
    atush Posts: 18,726 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Better to be a grafter, rather than a shirker?
  • xylophone
    xylophone Posts: 44,394 Forumite
    edited 18 October 2016 at 12:30PM

You are now over 60 and started working when you were 16 - you say that you have never been "contracted out".

I've worked and contributed for 45 years

I didn't contract out of SERPS (or second state pension)

Between 1971 and 1975, it is likely that you accumulated some "graduated pension" (forerunner to SERPS/S2P), though this will be a tiny amount.

Between 1978 and 2002 you should have accumulated some SERPS and from 2002 some S2P.

Your weekly state pension calculated under the old rules would have been the old BSP of £119.30 plus grad plus SERPS plus S2P.

Your weekly state pension calculated under the new rules would be 35/35 of £155.65.

You will receive the higher of the two as your starting (foundation) amount.

It would be very common for somebody in your position who had never been contracted out for the Grad plus SERPS plus S2P to bring him/her to a position where the old rules amount would be greater than the full NSP - for some people, the G+SERPS+S2P could be in excess of £160 a week.

Are you saying that your G + SERPS + S2P was exactly equal to (or less than) £36.35?

Have a look at the examples here

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/181237/single-tier-pension-fact-sheet.pdf

remembering to substitute £155.65 for £144.
  • xylophone
    xylophone Posts: 44,394 Forumite
    edited 18 October 2016 at 12:29PM
    but am I correct in thinking that anyone retiring under the new rules will get their Occ Pension docked off the £155 - so that theoretically they could get £0 SRP? Please tell me I am wrong!

See

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/447195/new-state-pension--effect-of-being-contracted-out.pdf

remembering to substitute £119.30 for £115.95 and £155.65 for £151.25.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure